Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 11-19-2004, 03:03 AM
1Boppoom1
Banned

Default Guards

is there a code that has the guards run around and kill animals like they do in EQLive? I would truly appreciate it cause yeah we have a lan server with a bunch of kids dieing and im trying to resolve....is there any kind of quest code that will do it?
Old 11-19-2004, 05:03 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

You could try increasing their aggro radius, but I was pretty sure that guards were fixed. Weren't they?

I was just in qeynos the other day, and had fippy darkpaw follow me into the city and he got mobbed by guards. Perhaps there are areas where the guards don't work still.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:29 AM
Dvinn
Fire Beetle

I'm running running the Perl-enabled 11-16-04 CVS compile from this thread with the PEQ Kunark database and I can confirm that yesterday while in qeynos2 I watched Fippy Darkpaw run right through the gates of the city and the guards did NOT react. Fippy ran into town, did whatever it is he does in there, then left unmolested.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Make guards KOS to the animals in the field?

Guards dont actually wander around in EQlive. In qeynos they stand by the gates, and attack mobs that get close. Alas using agro.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 PM
1Boppoom1
Banned

im using latest cvs but i cant seem to get them to kill like in Misty Thicket and also none of my Dark Elfs or Isakrs are KoS anywhere they just runt hrough and nothing happens i will re DL the files and try againt hough
Old 11-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Dvinn
Fire Beetle

For player characters, doesn't a high account status prevent NPC aggro? That could be your problem there. Don't forget, too, that without the .map files, NPCs won't aggro properly on default compiles.

That having been said, there's definately something wrong with guards at the moment. I downgraded to the 11-11 Perl CVS build that's linked to here on these boards, and they aren't working in that build either.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:36 PM
1Boppoom1
Banned

what if i were to set their agro status to 3 or 4 what would happen? just a question lol
Old 11-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

No clue, I dont do DB work.

But somehow, make them KOS to feild animals and not players, and there you go.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:16 AM
1Boppoom1
Banned

ok i DLed that cvs and the guards dont even attack ont hat one either....... im not quite sure lol it just may be mny luck
Old 11-21-2004, 07:38 AM
Xorith
Sarnak

In the db, we all had to make a change and put in an npc_agro field.

Maybe this has to be set to 1?

-- Xorith
Old 11-21-2004, 06:45 PM
jimm0thy
Sarnak

I manually changed all npc's named guard and cloackwork and watchmen to aggro 1 however there are some guards not listed in the database , however guards are still not working.

Id really like to know if there is a way to get them to work , faction and aggro work fine on mob's so I dont see why the guards dont.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Cutter
Sarnak

OK to make anything KOS to anything.. heres an example

1. you need to make a faction..

goto faction_list
put in a name for faction 1.. for this example lets make them Guards of Qeynos

in the Base field lets make it 500 ( this is the number it starts out with... when you first meet the guard.. how they con .. higher the number positive is more they will like you.. lesser negative.. means they will hate you more)

now lets make another faction in faction list
in the next field just put in animals
in the base put 100 or whatever.. if you want them to attack you on sight put -1000 or so.. really dont make a difference at this point

ok now lets make them hate each other...
in npc_faction
create a new entry...
to match the number in faction_list (IT MUST MATCH)

so well put Guards of Qeynos in the name field
in the primary faction field put the number matching this entry..

ok lets make the next entry.. for animals
but the only difference here is in the name field leave it blank.. illl explain later... why

ok next we need to goto npc_faction_entries
here is where we define what happens when we kill a faction and which faction it affects and believe it or not.. it will make each faction hate each other...

so in the first field put the number that cooresponds to the guard faction in the first field
and the same in the next field.. ( my example is 1,1)
now the next field is you ask yourself.. what happens when a player kills a queynos guard.. who does it lose faction with? and who does it gain faction with.. and how much?

ok so in this example if i kill a queynos guard.. the player will lose -500 so put that number in

now for the animals
make a new entry (2,2) for animals..

first field put the number and next field same number
if you kill an animal the animal faction .. you will lose how much faction with them?
ill put -500 also.. again you can put whatever......
now we need another field.. why? well this is where we are going to make the guards and animals hate each other badly

the third in final field put in the animals faction id (in this case it was 2... the next field put in the Qeynos guards Faction id which in this case is 1 (2,1)

so we say.. in this case if player kills an animal it will give what kind of faction to qeynos guards in this case ill put 300
its a positive number that will add everytime you kill an animal..

ok now all you have to do now is this.. in npc_types just put in the faction number for the qeynos guards and each animal that you want on the animal faction..

now in game..
if you run up and kill an animal thats on the animal faction you will not get a message.. other than you killed the mob..

but if you kill a guard
it will say
you lose faction with the qeynos guards .....

and of course your faction will go down.. so be sure to con the guards if you get near them..

ok so lets say you have good faction.. and an animal is like kicking your butt.. now run to the guards.. when the guards notice that someone is getting attacked that has good faction with them.. its natural they will defend them at all cost..

in the agro range change the guards agro to like 30-40 or so.. that gives a decent outdoor range...

good luck hope this helps out

[EDIT]
just wanted to add this also.. When guards are on a different faction list.. to make the guard wander.. just set the guard to a grid.. and if it does pass anything that has an opposite faction it willl attack at no cost.. i am using DR6.2 and i can confirm our server is surrounded by this effect.. and it works.. Give the guards again a large agro radius.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:17 PM
jimm0thy
Sarnak

Hmm .. ok so i made a city guard faction (416) and newbie monster faction (415). They should be set to be KOS to each other , however they do not help players or attack each other ... maybe I messed something up. I do know that in the npc_faction_entries I wasnt able to acctually add a new listing , only modify the ones already there (using the MYSQL Control Center) - everytime I tried doing it manually it would give me an error.
Guess I'll go back over it later , 3 days of messing with guards Im kinda worn out on it now
Old 11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
1Boppoom1
Banned

wow will try its very confusing though needs a bit more detail not sure of what but it does it shows the straight facts and not much more i know what your talking about in some areas but not in all the others just thought id let u know lol but will give it a try thanks.....
Old 11-23-2004, 07:49 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

ok, heres the quick rundown of how this should work, since nobody here has it right yet... NPC aggro is completely seperate from player faction hits now.

step 1:
the npc_aggro field MUST be set to 1 for any NPC which might possibly aggro another NPC (but setting all NPCs to 1 will cause major CPU problems for you...)

step 2:
let us assume we have two npcs... A and B
A has an npc_faction_id of 1, B has an npc_faction_id of 2
npc_faction #1 has primary faction #7
npc_faction #2 has primnary faction #93
of note: npc_faction ids are not related to primary faction ids... primary faction ids are referencing entries in the faction_list table.

in order to make A attack B on sight, npc_faction_entires must have this entry in it:
| npc_faction_id | faction_id | value | npc_value |
+-------------+------------+-------+-----------+
| 1 | 93 | ?? | -1 |
where the value of ?? is unrelated to NPC aggro (it is the player hit with faction 2 from killing A)

likewise if you wanted B to also attack A, you would add:
| 2 | 93 | ?? | -1 |

the npc_value is the important thing, A needs an entry for each other faction which they will KOS and that entry should have a negative npc_value

also assist works in the same way... if you want npc C to assist B, where C is on npc_faction 3 (with primary faction 87), you need an entry like (note the positive value of npc_value):
| 3 | 93 | ?? | 1 |