Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
The data you are changing is in a tabled called npc_faction_entries.

Columns: npc_faction_id | faction_id | value | npc_value
Data: 4 | 106 | -30 | -1

That last bit, npc_value, is the NPCs aggro flad Aramid mentioned. It does look like it might effect all NPCs in that faction, but you can make a custom version of that faction for your NPC/Group that's tied to the base (faction_id). I think. It's early. And I have a 40 mi drive ahead of me. I'll check back later.
well, nothing seems to work for me atm - which leads me to a question; does anyone know of any guards or any npc that kills roamers? I could use that as a template, or maybe it just doesn't work?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:02 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Have you checked how city guards do it? Or those Freeport guards out in WC? If they do... I do not recall.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

This is how i set a faction to kos to a group of npcs.
Kind of a rough work around on some parts.
Note: I use dark rogue's database editor also. I am certain there is an easier way of doing this, but as I am still in the baby steps phase of dbase moding: this is how i do it.

If you dont have any NPC ID numbers, start here to find them:

1. Go to your database, in faction_list, find the name of the factions you want from Name field. (Note: you need at least 2 values here: One of the creature to react to, and one of the creature that is reacting)
2. In Dark Rogue's Database editor: Goto Tools, Faction Table editor, edit faction table
3. Type faction name (from step 1) into the search, and select the appropriate one (if more than one is similar)
4. This will show you their Primary_Faction_ID.
5. Right click in the center area to add the faction name (from faction_list: step 1 again) of the npcs you want to react to. This won't accept a 0 value for now, but we will correct that so you dont actually get a faction hit later.
6. Save this after changes are added.
7. Any npc with this faction will be listed in Table_ID number (under NPC_factions in dBase)
8. Goto Tools, NPC editor, edit npcs (in dark rogue dbase editor)
9. Type in the name of the npc you want to add to this faction.
10. Goto Tables fields at the bottom, add the faction ID(from step 4) to this npc.

If you have the ID numbers for both the creature you are changing and the creature you are reacting to: Start here

11. Goto dbase, NPC_faction_entries (right click on this and chose to open with a larger number than default or you might not see what you need: select something like 50000 to see them all *no idea what the limit is.. so i pick a BIG number to make sure*) -- this may take awhile to finish loading.
12. npc_faction_id actually the Table_ID number (from step 7 above). -- this will change for all the npcs associated with this number, not just a single npc. (example: this is the faction ID of the guards outside Qeynos that just wait for the gnoll pups to get too close)
13. faction_id in the second column is the npcs this first value will react to. (example: this is the gnoll pup that the guard swings at when it hits the gate)
14. Find the npc_faction_id of the creature you want to change, then find the faction_id that is associated with the npc_faction_id of the creature you want it to react to. (example: make sure you are looking at the gnoll pups in the section associated with the Qeynos Guards)
15. If you dont want a faction hit to show. Set value = 0. (This is the 3rd field in this table)
16. set npc_value to -1 if you want the creature to attack, set to 1 if you want them to assist that faction_id. (This is the 4th field of the table)

I hope that was what you were asking for. If not, please ignore me. If it is, then Im certain someone can trim that down alot to a more useable list.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufferofnewbies
This is how i set a faction to kos to a group of npcs.
Kind of a rough work around on some parts.
Note: I use dark rogue's database editor also. I am certain there is an easier way of doing this, but as I am still in the baby steps phase of dbase moding: this is how i do it.

If you dont have any NPC ID numbers, start here to find them:

1. Go to your database, in faction_list, find the name of the factions you want from Name field. (Note: you need at least 2 values here: One of the creature to react to, and one of the creature that is reacting)
2. In Dark Rogue's Database editor: Goto Tools, Faction Table editor, edit faction table
3. Type faction name (from step 1) into the search, and select the appropriate one (if more than one is similar)
4. This will show you their Primary_Faction_ID.
5. Right click in the center area to add the faction name (from faction_list: step 1 again) of the npcs you want to react to. This won't accept a 0 value for now, but we will correct that so you dont actually get a faction hit later.
6. Save this after changes are added.
7. Any npc with this faction will be listed in Table_ID number (under NPC_factions in dBase)
8. Goto Tools, NPC editor, edit npcs (in dark rogue dbase editor)
9. Type in the name of the npc you want to add to this faction.
10. Goto Tables fields at the bottom, add the faction ID(from step 4) to this npc.

If you have the ID numbers for both the creature you are changing and the creature you are reacting to: Start here

11. Goto dbase, NPC_faction_entries (right click on this and chose to open with a larger number than default or you might not see what you need: select something like 50000 to see them all *no idea what the limit is.. so i pick a BIG number to make sure*) -- this may take awhile to finish loading.
12. npc_faction_id actually the Table_ID number (from step 7 above). -- this will change for all the npcs associated with this number, not just a single npc. (example: this is the faction ID of the guards outside Qeynos that just wait for the gnoll pups to get too close)
13. faction_id in the second column is the npcs this first value will react to. (example: this is the gnoll pup that the guard swings at when it hits the gate)
14. Find the npc_faction_id of the creature you want to change, then find the faction_id that is associated with the npc_faction_id of the creature you want it to react to. (example: make sure you are looking at the gnoll pups in the section associated with the Qeynos Guards)
15. If you dont want a faction hit to show. Set value = 0. (This is the 3rd field in this table)
16. set npc_value to -1 if you want the creature to attack, set to 1 if you want them to assist that faction_id. (This is the 4th field of the table)

I hope that was what you were asking for. If not, please ignore me. If it is, then Im certain someone can trim that down alot to a more useable list.
This is what I was looking for - I'm working on understanding the whole deal though. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Good explanation, I think I may have to add this capability to my editor...

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

oh btw. One major setback to this might be the fact that most mobs are not setup on a faction in DC (at least on my server atm). Most of your time will be spent makeing sure all roamers are actually set to a faction before you can set them to be kos to the Fab Four. That's the real reason I kept the first part of my text in there, if your dBase is anything like mine you will be busy.

I LOVE ordered chaos!

Oh george, if you do add this in, could I beg a favor? Make it so a value of 0 can be set to faction levels. It's a real timekiller to have to go back into the dBase atm and reset all my 'fake faction hits' to 0 there. I use 123 as mine, so i can see them quickly now but it sure does slow down my faction work.

/salute

Last edited by bufferofnewbies; 10-18-2006 at 01:25 AM..
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

What I have in mind is to set up a new, server-wide "mob-killer" faction. This could be used as a temporary solution, until, or if I decide to go back and fine tune factions. I say "server wide" , so I can apply it in any zone when needed. Factions aside, the zone just doesn't look or feel right with out these features, and here I am 2 days later, looking for a solution to this
Do you think this can be done?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Aramid
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
What I have in mind is to set up a new, server-wide "mob-killer" faction. This could be used as a temporary solution, until, or if I decide to go back and fine tune factions. I say "server wide" , so I can apply it in any zone when needed. Factions aside, the zone just doesn't look or feel right with out these features, and here I am 2 days later, looking for a solution to this
Do you think this can be done?
If you look at West Freport, there is a faction called 'Noobie Monster KOS to Guards'. These are setup on the Guards as aggressive and on mobs such as snakes, beetles, rats etc... as their primary faction. This makes the guards attack them when they are in range. Now, they also kill the Orcs, but that because those individual factions are setup.

You HAVE this as I am using your database and the PEQ Editor and it's all already in there.

So, I think if you just use that as a Template, you'll have what you need, but it may take more than just ONE Faction to get it to work as you need it too, unless you can identitfy which mobs will actually wander thru the Fab Four's camp based on the existing pathing setup and give them your Server Wide faction providing they aren't needed for anything else, like the noobie mobs.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I finally figured it out, it was too easy , I just always do things the "hard way". Thanks for all your help, I wouldn't have been able with out it.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I've been reading around and also remembering, and in the original Fab 4 camp, all NPC's attack roamers. I was thinking to set this, but I noticed that when two of the Fab4 npcs fight the same mob and after it's killed, they then proceed to fight each other.
Would this be a bug or is there something else I need to change?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

make sure you have their 'assist' set for +1 and not -1, and also that they are not useing AE spells.

btw: i first noticed the assist agro problem when I was testing some coding outside CT. The lizards that spawn out there would hit others with the AE and if i backed up.. they would start in-fighting. I had to go and remove some AEs from the caster spell lists. (as well as that damned Flash of light line.. I never liked how it blanked out the whole screen) ahh, but not this is just me rambling..

Last edited by bufferofnewbies; 10-19-2006 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufferofnewbies
make sure you have their 'assist' set for +1 and not -1, and also that they are not useing AE spells.

btw: i first noticed the assist agro problem when I was testing some coding outside CT. The lizards that spawn out there would hit others with the AE and if i backed up.. they would start in-fighting. I had to go and remove some AEs from the caster spell lists. (as well as that damned Flash of light line.. I never liked how it blanked out the whole screen) ahh, but not this is just me rambling..
Thanks, this was the problem - there is a cleric, wizard, ranger in the group - I removed their spells just to see, and they stopped fighing each other. In the morning, I'll make some new spell sets, special for these situations.

Last edited by Angelox; 10-19-2006 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

I'd honestly prefer to see some coding changes that allow a caster's AE spells/ song to ignore any npc above indifferent con. That would prevent alot of 'side agro' issues across the board.

But as it isnt live-like. I don't expect it to be done without doing it myself.
And I code like a one eyed man playing darts.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:20 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

will one of you please put a reasonable guide to NPC guard-style aggro up on the wiki as this thread will get lost.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathernitwit
will one of you please put a reasonable guide to NPC guard-style aggro up on the wiki as this thread will get lost.
Here's one problem I found with the guards and aggro, And have been trying to find a "work- around" for it;
Guard Brookrock says 'For the defense of Kelethin!!'
Guard Brookrock says 'For the protection of all Fier'Dal, there shall be no mercy for your kind.
that was the Gfay guards quote when they kill off mobs for you.

And this,
"It's bashing time!!"
is a quote from Sigan Ilbirku at Cauldron, as he kills off a mob for you.

Well, Sigan's attach quote works fine, but the guards in GFay remain silent - I tried everything (EVENT_ATTACK, EVENT_AGRRO, EVENT_SLAY) with the same results. I realized the the NPC will not say anything, unless you hit him first. In Dagnors, Sigan always has to fight it out a while, so they hit back and we get the "It's bashing time!!" text. But with the guards, they kill so fast, the mob never hits back, so they never say anything. I guess EVENT_SLAY is for when a PC dies and not an NPC, because it didn't work either. If I'm right and there is no method for an NPC to quote when he attacks, then it would be nice to have one of these events fixed (in the code) to that. for example EVENT_SLAY could apply to PC's and NPC's, or EVENT_AGGRO could add on when the Guard goes to help a PC.
I've been thinking of a way to get the guards to talk in a situation like that but so far, haven't been able to.

If someone would wiki - post anything that's worth while from me, I would appreciate it - My problem with doing this is my health; I'm cursed with arthritis, and try to avoid sitting/typing over long periods of time - which I do anyways, but Wiki would just add to sitting time.