Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM
klumze
Fire Beetle

Default Bags

Hello all. Just started playing this week and I havent played EQ SINCE 1999-2000. I had a quick question about the server emu/clientemu. What is the current bag size limit? I was going to take up tailoring but if 12+ slot bags do not work I didnt want to bother. If im asking in the wrong place please teach a man to fish. Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
joligario
Developer

I think it is 10 max at the moment.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Uleat
Developer

Our inventory system is still based on the older model and does not support greater-than-10 slot bags.

Bag sizes greater than 10 are in the database..but, are currently hard-coded during load to 10 slots.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

It's a A LOT of rewriting code (it is something we want to get done eventually) to support big bags. Plus then it would only be supported on clients that support them. (RoF and RoF2)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:58 PM
klumze
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
It's a A LOT of rewriting code (it is something we want to get done eventually) to support big bags. Plus then it would only be supported on clients that support them. (RoF and RoF2)
Awesome thank you. So much to learn again and this game is 100x bigger than it used to be now. Should keep me interested for a long time with what great work has already been added. I must say playing pre-kunark days all the way to some velius then coming into this game again is a huge change but I have a friend who knows his way around so its making it that much easier.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Resurrecting this thread quick: has anyone been working on this? I know it's a lot of code, but wasn't sure if there were people working on it specifically in these 2 years.

Related: I notice the armor appearance augs (slot 21) do exist in the game, but the gear I've seen so far that it should be present on, the slot isn't there to use them. Is this, like the bagslots, a major coding battle, or just not something with much interest that could be done in database?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Uleat
Developer

We're probably looking at a diff of 250K lines minimum to get the new inventory system up and going - one that supports larger bag slots natively.

Hack fixes are bad and this is one area we just need to stop hacking and do it correctly.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 12-10-2020, 03:58 PM
xarisd
Fire Beetle

According to Google this is the most recent post about this issue that greatly concerns me. So, putting my gravedigger's shovel aside, did we ever get the bag sizes to be appropriate? It's been nearly five years since the thread was started, the Server is doing great for the most part... did we manage to go through a diff of 250k lines in all that time? Still wondering why the hell they would hard-code this sort of thing.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:52 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarisd View Post
According to Google this is the most recent post about this issue that greatly concerns me. So, putting my gravedigger's shovel aside, did we ever get the bag sizes to be appropriate? It's been nearly five years since the thread was started, the Server is doing great for the most part... did we manage to go through a diff of 250k lines in all that time? Still wondering why the hell they would hard-code this sort of thing.
No. You can manually push larger bag sizes though if you know what you're doing (Secrets has done it).
Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Uleat
Developer

I've done it, too .. doesn't mean it's easy

EDIT:

Also, just fixing the code isn't enough for pre-existing servers .. you have to address established databases with 100% successful modification to ensure that no item loss occurs.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 12-11-2020, 04:22 PM
xarisd
Fire Beetle

Well, thanks. If it's not asking too much, can I get a walkthrough on the process, or an updated database? I'm not sure where to begin with this. It's like trying to enable mercs. I killed my login server but the game still works just fine. Whenever I use the start server with login server batch file, it just flashes forever but never comes up. Even catching the window with cat like reflexes shows me nothing, but I know it was something to do with the merc database query. I've not even tried to enable the alt currency out of reluctance to have something similar happen, which is something else I want to do eventually.

Anyway, I'd like to avoid killing anything else if at all possible. Figured it would be wisest to ask the sages.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:55 AM
xarisd
Fire Beetle

While I wait for a response I began looking on my own, and came across the Inventory Overhaul on the EQEnum Gitbook. I'm not sure how old this project is, but it is fascinating. You guys certainly have good plans and I hope they turn out well. The private server I'm doing is just for my wife and I to live out our nostalgia, so little things like bag space are not a huge priority. We've adapted to pre-SoD elements in our RoF2 environment, not having mercs, having boosted weapons (like epics that are actually epic) and beastlords with 30k complete healing because I like to tinker. I am probably going to start taking stabs at random files soon, unless you guys can tell me which ones specifically need to be addressed. It might be on the Internet somewhere, but I've made things happen with less, though the wasted time was unwelcome. I wasn't expecting an easter egg hunt, but with my bum leg I'm more than happy to play. Just knowing it can be done and that others have done it is inspiring!
Old 12-19-2020, 03:54 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarisd View Post
If it's not asking too much, can I get a walkthrough on the process
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but it could be difficult, (but not impossible), finding someone with the time and initiative to "do a walkthrough" with anyone. It's not as simple as you think, when someone wants to do unique, or special customizing to their own server. Sometimes when one wants to alter the mechanics of anything, it may start in the source code, which involves downloading the source code, learning about C++ coding, learning how to recompile the edits, (with the appropriate apps). Compiling that source code is what gives you the binaries that run your server.

But that is only part of the server. You also have the database, which is full of 200+ tables, that you need a database editor to access and dig into. You would have to get to know that database, just to get an inclination of what you're doing with it, and understand how each table functions and/or integrates with everything else. The binaries, database, maps, quests and other misc files, all work together to allow the client to function through the game. Sometimes, when someone wants to make one little altercation, you can end up visiting all those areas of the server to make it work.

This project started about 17-18'ish years ago and has taken many contributions by many people over the years, just to get it to where it is now. I've only been around here 10 years and I am still learning. Changes are also happening over time, like the transition from perl to lua and conversions to json, for example.

In a worst case scenario, with all the developing going on though the project, once in awhile something becomes broken and it may take time for it to be repaired. Like mercs for example, somewhere along the way, they got buggy, so the default database does not come with the merc tables, (until they get fixed). Anytime you run into an individual server that may have things functioning that are not working on others, it's because that server owner/dev put some work and effort into doing it.

Even though some individuals have started out not knowing how to create an icon on their desktop, nobody has to be a rocket scientist, if they have an interest in reading and learning about all this stuff. It really is all about time and patience.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:29 PM
Splose
Banned

Big gravedig.

We've done it on RoN as well.

From what we could tell it looks like the whole inventory system needs to be rewritten as it causes a ton of lag when assigning all those slots (we did up to 100 slots).

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2020, 06:48 PM
xarisd
Fire Beetle

It's cool. I figured it can't be done, else it would have been done in all this time, if for no other reason than just the satisfaction of being the guy to do it. I'm just going to live with it. Verant bashed out code that sounds like they followed the Microsoft model, making a complete mess of things that only now are being figured out by actual programmers. Exploring on my own has been a wash. I can't read machine language and Notepad++ only gets me so far, and I don't have the concentration required to do a full decompile. My life's work is in troubleshooting, not programming. Programmers are way above me, I think, and if it's as hard as you guys are saying, then for me it's a deep red con raid boss. I don't have a prayer of getting that far.

It's not like 10 slot bags are really that big of a problem anyway, especially when you can edit trash lore items to be not lore and sell them. There's a program to make it easier, but I do it with Heidi because said program keeps telling me "An item with the same key has already been added." Looking through all the tables says this is false, but, whatever, because the error message doesn't say what that key is. It could be any of a thousand things, so why bother? Anyway I'll stick to making halfling bards and Vah Shir who follow Erollisi Marr because that stuff is easy, and fun.

Thanks anyway, and you know, I'm just super grateful that there IS an Everquest private server at all. It's a dream come true, and there's no point in sweating the small stuff, you know? "Oh, this cake is perfect, except it doesn't have chocolate frosting, wahhhhh..." Pfft, it's a great cake, eat it, you whiny jerk! It works great, and really that's all that matters.