Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:25 PM
Azerin
Fire Beetle

Default How do I switch my server to a new computer?

I have a current install of EQEMU Windows working great, but it is on a computer that is multi-tasking. One of my friends donated a windows box so I can make it a dedicated server. How do I move the server onto the new box? is it a matter of fresh installing on the new computer and dumping certain files over, or can it be done at all? thanks.

-Jeremy
Old 02-02-2021, 06:54 PM
Nightrider84
Discordant

Essentially You would need to do a complete backup of your Database. and I would copy all the server files as well. On the new pc you want to act like your going make a new server. Install mysql ect, and after you have that set up your going to restore your DB on the new server. That is the short version of it. And for the love of god make sure the new server is working with people logging in ect. Be sure to change your firewall rules to reflect the new server location.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:23 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

The poster above has solid advice, but also, and I cannot stress this enough. Virtualize if possible. Even the Windows hypervisor is free with Windows server, or professional now, so just do it. Once your server is a flat file that can be backed up, moved, etc. You will never again need to stress about a hardware upgrade or change. I run my server on esxi which is also free as long as you use the standard version and don't run vcenter.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 PM
djeryv
Hill Giant

I run mine on a Linux VM using VirtualBox...and hayward6 is spot on.