Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

Default Server Classification Chart

I have no idea if this is possible, but I believe it would be a great benefit to the community if we had some sort of chart that lists all active servers with a quick reference to popular features to help make server selection easy.

A few examples of popular server features might be: Era Accurate Content, MQ2 Allowed, Bots, 1 IP Only, Boxing Welcomed, 100% Custom Content, Classic / Custom Mixed Content, etc.

The idea would be that if a person knows that they prefer a particular play style, they could scan the list for the appropriate check marks and select a server quickly. The current method for selecting a server is opening the link to each and every server, reading the description that may or may not be well written, then likely going to the website for more information, and finally logging into the server and asking in ooc for remaining information.

Then again... maybe I am just an Excel nerd and used to looking at information in that way =P
Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

100% useless as most servers have a 60 day shelf life.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

As useless as your comments, per usual Maze. It is not hard to create a dynamic updating spreadsheet and have people fill in tick boxes for server features when they open a server.

Maze, do me a favor, don't reply to my posts in the future.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:58 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmai9 View Post
As useless as your comments, per usual Maze. It is not hard to create a dynamic updating spreadsheet and have people fill in tick boxes for server features when they open a server.

Do me a favor, don't reply to my posts in the future.
He's not wrong, just look at the server's worldserver page. It usually details key information.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

I just think there is a better way to go about displaying the info, that's all I was trying to get at. /cheers.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM
FievelMousey
Hill Giant

He 100% correct server come and go anymore if not on green list or higher i dont trust them
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM
kokey98
Hill Giant

if the sysop doesn't bother to fill out the server list info, not much we can do about that. the green and orange are all well explained, though, which are the ones that stick around long-term.

maybe a user-input for the ones that aren't registered? but, then you'd have children behaving badly if you relied on self-restraint... since that's not possible, no one is going to take the time to review it all and allow it to be posted.

if they don't have a site or details, it's probably only quasi-public. some may be accidentally public, too.

-----

just a pleasant personality as always. maze, i bet you scare off people that would normally be willing to contribute to the community. i wouldn't work with you on a team, that's for sure.

he should know about fickleness of servers. his dropout faster than a prom dress. i learned a long time ago to avoid, since it would just be trashed in a matter of months. you can probably find the thread where someone jokes about it and explains that "i should have known." in not so many words by someone else.

when you were younger, if you aren't now, did your parents always blame other people for your behaviour? i bet your friends were bad influences and teachers had it out for you. if you aren't a teenager, i'd be surprised, but you've been around forums long enough to exit "teen" years, i think.

i wish i could post date a response. guarntee something akin to, "well, they probably wouldn't be useful to the community, anyway" type response. or some other ad hominem logical fallacy slung this way or that.

i'll check back in 6 months... you can say anything to me you want :p i won't see it.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

Misclicked, ignore this reply.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FievelMousey View Post
He 100% correct server come and go anymore if not on green list or higher i dont trust them
That's pretty harsh. Plenty of servers on the green list that shouldn't be there and plenty of servers that have existed over the years that SHOULD have been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokey98 View Post
maybe a user-input for the ones that aren't registered?
That functionality is already there:

Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokey98 View Post
just a pleasant personality as always. maze, i bet you scare off people that would normally be willing to contribute to the community. i wouldn't work with you on a team, that's for sure.

he should know about fickleness of servers. his dropout faster than a prom dress. i learned a long time ago to avoid, since it would just be trashed in a matter of months. you can probably find the thread where someone jokes about it and explains that "i should have known." in not so many words by someone else.
Never said mine actually last like most on the "Green Preferred list".

But when they are up, they're quality.

I get tired of dealing with self-entitled shitbags like you, who cry 24/7.

Try running a successful server with more than 5 people and you'll understand the amount of burnout that comes from dealing with morons on a 20 year old elf sim.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

Maze, you are known community wide to be a trouble maker. While I do believe you could contribute positively to the community, your toxicity and internet tough guy attitude just isn't needed or welcomed. Even though I know it will never happen, I encourage the forum administrators to kick your ass to curb where you belong.

The only reason you act like a bully on the internet is because you feel powerless in real life.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I have to go out on an "unbias limb" here with this discussion. I've been around for almost 9 years now and seen a lot of negative and trolling responses to threads by many people, (without following the forum rules). It's a system we have to live with and adapt to.
I'm not going to sit here and defend Maze's comments, but even if some of his posts piss me off, I'm not going to have a full out hate-on for him, or any other members making negative posts like that. I would not cut anyone down, just because I was angry at them, but at the same time, I would be open and honest about the person, whether something good or bad needs to be said. Maze is no exception to my philosophy.
There is many times, I have saw the good come out in Maze over the years, but he also gets in to these "cranky" moods once in awhile and logs into these forums to vent it in the wrong way, in which I would encourage him to take some holidays, (or sleep it off). But I've also seen many times, where he made a simple humorous comment that was misinterpreted the wrong way and people started dumping on him. I wouldn't throw sticks and stones at anyone, out of anger, but I've always believed that, no matter how rough someone is on the outside, they all have the potential to let the good out in them. Unfortunately, with someone like Maze, he doesn't seem like he wants to. With the knowledge he has and that (often supressed) humour he could be a lot of fun around here.(in a positive way). He is not stupid, he knows his stuff.
As far as servers going up and down in this project, there has already been servers on that green list that have gone down just as fast as some on the whitelist. There has been servers that were owned by Admins and project developers that were taken down. The servers are free to play on and nobody is under any obligation in this entire project from source code to end user. It's a hobby. Playing on any one of these servers is a risk that you are already aware of. Just being realistic here, but server owners owe nothing to anyone. The admins and devs of P99 could shut that switch off with 1100 players on it and life goes on.
You could go play on EQ Live DB servers, if you want stability. I just logged on there for the first time in a long time, my server choice and toons are all still there, since 2003. I did happen to notice, on the character creation, any and all races/classes have no choice except Crescent Reach for starting city. If that's your thing, lol
A lot of players here are just hopping from server to server anyways, so people shouldn't be so bent on that server list. Regardless of what a new server does, nobody is going to come up with "new content" that hasn't already been done, unless you open up high end expansions and zones with some customization that haven't been done yet. Or maybe you really want to go kill the sleeper for the 100th time ?
Even using Maze's LoN server as an example, after initial launch, it peaked at 200+ players, but as it always happens, with any new server, a big surge of players hop on, then it tones down to a lower average, (less than 100). On some custom servers, if the content is easy to run through, the players train through it, like a big guild did on live with a new expansion release. Then they move on. That's one of the reason's I would agree with (one) phrase that Maze used. "Shelf Life". A population thing.
But I think he was referring to "new servers", not the ones that have been around a awhile. This project and that server list is evolving.

Dogmai - I totally get the motive behind your idea for server info, but I'm afraid there probably wouldn't be much co-operation from too many server owners. If you notice, there is already a lot that are not taking the initiative to even register their server, let alone want to put much effort into communicating with potential players. But It's been my experience that a lot of the players don't even read the server list on the forums. That gets made evident with all the "I am looking for.....server" posts, which always end up with the same results. Did they "read" before they posted ? Not really, lol.
As far as getting the admins and devs on this site to implement your idea ? Take a number, everyone is still waiting for the SMS to get fixed, that has been broken for years now.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

Huppy, your reply was well crafted and non bias, and I appreciate that. I would like to acknowledge I knew there was almost no chance of my suggestion being implemented when it would require a (significant?) rewrite of the website code and the devs are hard at work adding features to the game, which is something we all want. Furthermore my suggestion really isn't necessary. It is however in my nature to make these types of suggestions as the dev on my home server would probably attest to.

Regarding Maze, I would like to reiterate that I am certain he has a lot of knowledge about EQ EMU server administration and I hope he puts it to use for the community. That being said, the attitude needs to be left at the door.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM
haynar
Developer

If you want a detailed list on server descriptions, then you can also make it. And keep it updated. Make a nice wiki page. Keep it updated. Post a link to it to share.

It is not a requirement for people who run a server to provide that sort of info to connect their own server. They don’t even have to register.

Server admins do a lot already. Requesting more is not always well received.

Maze also hears the endless stream of requests too. Just like others. The difference, is he still responds.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

since eqemu's server listing on forums, among other eqemu-specific stuff like account management tends to not get touched much, maybe look at using a https://github.com/eqemu/server/wiki page and update with tags for a quick overlook? Would be especially handy to know about server create date. Just gotta put the effort in the long term.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com