Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Cool Barbecue Chips

Might seem like an odd question, but does anyone else miss the joys of really cheap barbecue potato chips? Into the 90s and even 5-10 years ago, it wasn't hard to find a good old fashioned bag of cheap bbq chips. You know the ones, where half of them are bright orange and loaded with flavor? I love those to put on sandwiches lol, the newer "higher quality" chips just don't have the flavor so you pilem and pilem trying to make up for it, and it's still kinda lackluster.

Does anyone know some good brands of good ol' cheapie bbq? Am I the only one that insists on bbq for chips on their sandwich? I know a lot used to do it, but as soon as I did with the cheap chips we had as kids, there was no g o.oing back to plain or any other flavor, and modern chips do too good of job spreading the seasoning even on the dollar bags. Every now and then I could still find a bag of great value like this, but not often, and recently I've found at least a usable amount in price chopper storebrand, but 3/4 of the bags are still not orange enough lol.

Anyone know a good brand to try? Or is anyone else on the search for some good old-fashioned foods from yesteryear, or just not available after moving to another area? I thought it was a bit nuts when I couldn't find white hots (white hotdogs made from lamb, AKA snappy grillers or coneys...they have an entirely different seasoning set and flavor, but don't tryem in a chilidog it just doesn't work) outside new york state, unless o wanted to pay 50bucks a lb to havem shipped lol. Also difficult to find salt potatoes, or horseradish cheese outside ny.

These are all naughty unhealthy foods, but great to have now and again, and sadly they're the one reason I was glad to move back to this state a few years back. Now I'm confronted with the lack of Boston Markets lol
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Here I'd thought that was a southern thing... Try mashed potato and garlic roasted asparagus in a smoked ham sandwich. Thank me later.

I need a NY dog now...
Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

I like chicken weiners, dipped in sour cream :P
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

ok, kanye. :p
Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
Here I'd thought that was a southern thing... Try mashed potato and garlic roasted asparagus in a smoked ham sandwich. Thank me later.

I need a NY dog now...
Well I think I got it from my mother who before N.Y. was Indiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, so that could be the source
Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

My mother also did peanut butter and butter or pb and mayo..which both sound weird but aren't bad and I don't really like mayo.

What about the billion and a half different versions of shepherd pie there are? I Brown my meat with minced onion, liquidsmoke, splash of vinegar, and some powdered beef bullion then cook down the juices. I mix that with sweet Vidalia onion sweet baby rays bbq sauce, then later corn, mashed potatoes (I prefer the loaded baked pouches) and Colby Jack on top. A housemate skips the extra meat seasonings, uses mixed veggies, and no cheese. My ex mother in law made a crust from bisquick to layer over the top instead of the cheese, but otherwise mostly like mine minus with bbq sauce but not the other seasonings. We've also found mixing creamed corn with regular works nice too if you have issues getting rid of creamed corn in your house.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Uleat
Developer

Creamed corn really isn't that bad..I just don't like messy foods :P

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I grew up on creamed corn poured over mashed potatoes. Still love it.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Some people don't like it in my house but I've found I can hide it in the shepherds pie lol.

Unrelated, for a minute last night I thought you were in my guild on Live, til I realized the name was like Ulrec not Uleat, but made sense at least being on Bertox
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Uleat
Developer

I was in <Phantom Raiders> for a short stint..but, my rl friends didn't want to stay.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegila View Post
My mother also did peanut butter and butter or pb and mayo..which both sound weird but aren't bad and I don't really like mayo.

What about the billion and a half different versions of shepherd pie there are? I Brown my meat with minced onion, liquidsmoke, splash of vinegar, and some powdered beef bullion then cook down the juices. I mix that with sweet Vidalia onion sweet baby rays bbq sauce, then later corn, mashed potatoes (I prefer the loaded baked pouches) and Colby Jack on top. A housemate skips the extra meat seasonings, uses mixed veggies, and no cheese. My ex mother in law made a crust from bisquick to layer over the top instead of the cheese, but otherwise mostly like mine minus with bbq sauce but not the other seasonings. We've also found mixing creamed corn with regular works nice too if you have issues getting rid of creamed corn in your house.
I was hoping against all hope that peanut butter and mayo was a typo, but no. I actually had a mayo banana sandwich once in middle school. I lived, apparently. I think I got bamboozled in a trade or something at lunch. My memory is spotty. Starting to wonder if it might be dietary. :p
Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Banana and mayo? /shudder.

PB n banana are necessities though lol.

Ulrec: yeah after the merge with saryrn, shahrazad started poaching from saryrns raid guilds, then one of saryrns raid guilds picked up the habit, and within a year over half those guilds were gone or merged, cpl years later it was just those 2 left standing, shahr under a new name, and apparently expacs before this one killed them too, so raiding is totally dead on bertox now save some doing years old stuff. Some of those guilds were raiding since 99. Sad. Hasn't been a server merge since. Think they finally realized mergers lower profits cause raid guilds were the big payers once f2p launched. Now, it's kronos and people sell this ridiculous random rare drops for about 5 each, i.e. almost a hundred bucks. Kronos great for the game, random tradeable rares that are the best in the game, not so much
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

What about gravy bread? Was never my thing but neither is gravy itself, but my mother and sisters always ate it. Just a slice or 2 of bread on a plate drowned in gravy. That's definitely a southern thing, way too "stick to your ribs" i.e. fattening with no nutritional benefit lol.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Warrior32
Fire Beetle

I like cheese flavored potato chips.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Reggatta
Fire Beetle

Might be an old thread, but I have to say that Humpty Dumpty BBQ chips are the best. Good flavor and plenty red.