Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:16 PM
danxxx
Fire Beetle

Default Another new server idea

I've been considering setting up an eq server, I had one many years ago.

I'd be renting a dedicated server at a datacenter, so there would be no downtime and pay by the year so people can be confident the server will not just vanish.

It would be mostly vanilla with a few, mostly qol changes:

Bots would be enabled, but would require questing to obtain.
Expansions would be limited up through PoP.
Increased xp gain, but not a lot, maybe 2-3X .
Increased health/mana regen rates.
No xp loss or corpse runs.
Automatic spell scribing.
Boss mobs respawn faster.

No OP items or spells, those would be set to live values. Combat should be a challenge, when you have weapons that are 500/20 and 100k hps, it kinda takes the fun out of the game, at least for me. There are 27 expansions right now and the game was never more fun than back in the PoP era.

Plat is out of hand on most servers as well, people having millions is just too much, I want money to be valuable and difficult to come by.

But these are just ideas I have for a server I'd enjoy playing on, and maybe others would as well. It's going to take me some time to setup, if there is any interest in it. I would also need a gm or two to help out when I'm not around (real life makes me work to pay for stuff).
Old 02-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by danxxx View Post
...the game was never more fun than back in the PoP era....

...But these are just ideas I have for a server I'd enjoy playing on and maybe others would as well ...
Those 2 statements I quoted above are a perfect example of how many get caught between a rock and a heartache, before they put their thoughts in motion. Creating your own enjoyment and trying to find others on the same page as you can be compromising.

If you want my advice, forget the players, for the time being and just build the server that's already buried in your heart. If you don't, it will keep haunting you. After you truly got what you wanted all along, then invite players to come and have fun with it. You can always make changes later, if you're not happy with lack of interest by the player community.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:01 AM
lgsource1
Fire Beetle

Great advice. Follow your passion.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM
danxxx
Fire Beetle

That's probably the way I'm going to go with it. I don't like progression type servers are being locked into doing things any specific way. I want total freedom for me, and players to play anywhere and any way they feel like.

I don't like level limits on zones, or being told you can't visit specific zones unless you've been flagged for it by killing a boss or whatever.

I'm currently in the process of moving and starting a new job, so it will be a week or two before I can start work on the server