Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Default QueryServ and Linux

On the last few updates I have done, which I am in r2135 currently, I have read about QueryServ.

I noticed that support for the lfguild window is supposed to be in. If I say I am looking for a guild, nothing is populated in the table. My thoughts are I did something wrong with my compile (x64) and guess it would happen to be with QueryServ. The issue is I have no idea what QueryServ even is. I searched the forums, and even Google but maybe this is something EqEmu only ? Either way I only found a handful of post on QueryServ and most of them are regarding Windows and Visual Studio. I have been down the Windows server path and definitely not going back to the headache that was, at least not for my EqEmu server.

So can anyone enlighten me on QueryServ ?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Robregen
Developer

perhaps you are missing a perl script for it that was released in quest svn r939 under guildlobby/player.pl
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
joligario
Developer

Is queryserv running?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
iluvseq
Sarnak

What does queryserv provide other than the LFGuild search functionality? I don't run it on my server and haven't noticed anything else broken.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Querserv originated with the idea that I wanted to take logging events to not only Mysql but send them offsite if possible sort of like a syslog architecture. Right now Queryserv is in it's infancy but I would like to dual-home logging functionality for EITHER text logging or using QueryServ so that it can be used offsite and queried offsite via a web front-end and whatnot. I wanted to get combat logging, event logging and all kinds of other levels of logging pushed off to this and Derision just so happened to implement it with the LFGuild feature.

Rogean had something similar to this idea implemented for P1999 before I even thought of it but that is the premise in which I had been wanting to go with.

Does that help explain things a little bit?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
sorvani
Dragon

basically anything that needs to query the DB or update the DB in game that does not need real-time results can use this?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
basically anything that needs to query the DB or update the DB in game that does not need real-time results can use this?
Yeah that's one way of doing it, it simply takes the load off of the primary resources and simply sends a packet off to the QueryServ via UDP, whether it responds or not the sending side does not care. So you could be essentially sending off packets logging all kinds of stuff and it will not hang up any of your local Disk I/O that is separate and meant for the game server purposes.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Querserv originated with the idea that I wanted to take logging events to not only Mysql but send them offsite if possible sort of like a syslog architecture. Right now Queryserv is in it's infancy but I would like to dual-home logging functionality for EITHER text logging or using QueryServ so that it can be used offsite and queried offsite via a web front-end and whatnot. I wanted to get combat logging, event logging and all kinds of other levels of logging pushed off to this and Derision just so happened to implement it with the LFGuild feature.
I didn't realise you intended queryserv to run 'off-site', I just saw it as a convenient way to:

a) Avoid making database calls in the main thread, which I hate, and using queryserv was easier than using the existing zone dbasync thread.
b) Avoid the issue of syncing data between zone processes, again without having to read/write the database in the main thread, when updates to that data could be made in any zone.

I could move the LFGuild stuff out of queryserv and back into zone, but I would want to put it into the async DB thread which would mean writing an easier to use interface to dbasync, which I have thought about off-and-on for a while and would be an interesting exercise.

Another option would be to allow for multiple queryserv processes. When a queryserv process connects, it would tell world which server opcodes it would handle, e.g. you could have a queryserv co-located with world/zones which would say, 'hey, send me all ServerOP_LFGuild packets', and an off-site one which would say, 'send me all logging packets'.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derision View Post
I didn't realise you intended queryserv to run 'off-site', I just saw it as a convenient way to:

a) Avoid making database calls in the main thread, which I hate, and using queryserv was easier than using the existing zone dbasync thread.
b) Avoid the issue of syncing data between zone processes, again without having to read/write the database in the main thread, when updates to that data could be made in any zone.

I could move the LFGuild stuff out of queryserv and back into zone, but I would want to put it into the async DB thread which would mean writing an easier to use interface to dbasync, which I have thought about off-and-on for a while and would be an interesting exercise.

Another option would be to allow for multiple queryserv processes. When a queryserv process connects, it would tell world which server opcodes it would handle, e.g. you could have a queryserv co-located with world/zones which would say, 'hey, send me all ServerOP_LFGuild packets', and an off-site one which would say, 'send me all logging packets'.
I'm a big fan of the second option honestly. That seems like a fair compromise. The reason to make queryserv was 1) performance in the main thread 2) Disk I/O as a result of many database queries on-site. 3) A place to put things that don't require immediate results from the database. 4) A 'hack' to use multiple processors by creating another executable.

By allowing different queryservs to connect (maybe like the loginserver does?) in different configs, that would work best, at least in my opinion. Can have a log.ini-style file that loads each 'option' for what the queryserv should handle. Have QueryServ set that on connecting.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Well I compiled QueryServ and it is running. Do I need to bounce the server for any reason ? QueryServ said it connected to world, but no magic on the LFG window.

Code:
---------------------------------------------
7863 [04.30. - 17:51:24] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_queryserv.log
7863 [04.30. - 17:51:24] Using database 'peq' at localhost:3306
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I just found a missing opcode. My Underfoot patch file was older than I had thought. I have copied the new one over and will bounce the server late tonight and report back.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
provocating
Demi-God

That was it, a missing opcode.

I now have an entry in the table showing the lfguild entry.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM
provocating
Demi-God

On a slightly separate note, would QueryServ be a good or bad candidate to implement bazaar selling / purchasing ?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
sorvani
Dragon

That would be a very good use of queryserv IMO.