Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 AM
So_1337
Dragon

I was in class yesterday as I posted that, but I'll be at work today. I'll find some time to test with the current revision code, we'll get you figured out =)
Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

ah, it says root directory of quests. So not in a zone folder? That won't work because I don't want mobs of my entire game to act the same. Just some in a certain zone. Or am I reading this incorrectly?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
ah, it says root directory of quests. So not in a zone folder? That won't work because I don't want mobs of my entire game to act the same. Just some in a certain zone. Or am I reading this incorrectly?
it will work in the zone folder also, I used blackburrow for an example, so all npc in that zone without a quest file used the default.pl.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

OK, I'm using 1008.

I put default.pl in arena, commons, anywhere with the following:
Code:
sub EVENT_SPAWN
{
   quest::shout("Hello world.");
}
And get nothing. Made sure to leave zone, come back, use #reloadquest while in it...and nadda.

maybe you can't use certain events becuse they already defined in the other default.pl?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Okay, let's talk details, then. Interestingly, I skimmed Les' post without seeing he'd used Blackburrow to test, and that's where I did my testing a few minutes ago as well. I figured it was a good place, since there aren't any other quest files for the zone. I created the folder with both "default.pl" and "a_gnoll_pup.pl", each with the exact same code inside. Gnoll pups execute the code, nothing else in the zone does, so there's something at play here preventing it from working for both Irreverent and myself.

I also tested that the default.pl doesn't execute even when placed in the root of the quests directory, so it seems that default.pl doesn't work for us at all. Now we just have to figure out why =)

I'm running somewhere around revision 1000, the same as Les, so I don't think it's an issue with the source code. I believe this is going to come down to server setup. I'm running my server on Windows Server 2003 and I'm using ActivePerl version 5.10.0 build 1004.

I'm pretty sure Les runs a Linux server, how about you, Irreverent?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

ok guys for testing, I'll admit I wanted to see this in action anyway, But this is what i used for the blackburrow stage. I made all the npc in blackburrow global, since it was stated in that post somewhere. I'm going to run this test again on a windows 7 machine and see what I get..
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Yea, I have no problems with mob_name.pl just default.pl

I'm running on Vista x86(hides), Perl 5.8.9 b825. Fully updated w/microsoft/vendors. Running Ad-Aware and Avast!.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

I tried an update to 5.10 awhile ago, worked fine until the release of binaries 973...they didn't work and had to revert back to 5.8.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

ok just tried on my home PC doing the same steps i did the other day and I can not get this to work either, So when i have some time I will try and figure what is different. I tired everything I can think of and came to the same results as So_1337 :( .
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Okay, setting qglobals to 1 for all of the NPCs in Blackburrow did the trick; they all respond to the default.pl file now. That's the trick, then =) Good catch, Les!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

That doesn't make sense. I thought that flag was so they could select/see items on the quest_globals table?

I mean if it works, I'll just set ALL mobs to qglobals = 1. Does this inherantly cause any lag/performance/etc problems? If it doesn't, they why even have the flag?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_1337 View Post
Okay, setting qglobals to 1 for all of the NPCs in Blackburrow did the trick; they all respond to the default.pl file now. That's the trick, then =) Good catch, Les!
however I can't make it work all the time even using Qglobals, so there is a problem here just not sure when it got messed up. The very first time I tested it I was using that thread I posted above. lol this is another good puzzle Irreverent has discovered
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Phew, glad you noticed that before I updated all my NPCs!