Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

nvm, a search found my answer...I would have cleared that post but 5 min timer expired to edit it.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
EQFAN2009
Fire Beetle

Default So what was the answer.

Great to hear that you got it sorted. What was the solution that resolved your problem?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
EQFAN2009
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up Solution to Windows Server Problem - switch to Linux

Well after trying everything I could possibly think of I've still had no luck so I tried one last thing - switched to Linux. Dusting off my old Gentoo64 server, I had the source compiled within 5 minutes and was connected to the server in under 10. Linux 1 Windows 0.
Sorry that this is no help to anyone stuck with a Windows box. I'll keep plugging away at the problem slow time and update this thread if I come up with anything.
Cheers

EQFAN
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I completely uninstalled perl and deleted the folder and restarted the perl section in the guide useing perl version ActivePerl-5.8.9.825-MSWin32-x86-288577.msi

I also searched for the other perl install entries for version 5.8 that are not mentioned in this guide. I forget offhand what they are, but not too hard to find. I think I used 2 entries that are not on this guide.

Now I am fighting not being able to minilogin my server, my internet is crap WISP (wireless Internet Service Provider) and it is extremely slow and unreliable.

So I am trying to make a internet independent EQ. Tho I have scoured the forums and nothing seems to work as of yet. Tho I once was able to login through the normal eqemulator.net login server. But its time for me to search the heck out of this issue.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
EQFAN2009
Fire Beetle

Default Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update Speedz. It looks like it might be time for an updated Windows server installation guide. I've started working on one, but until I can successfully build and run one I'll hold off on publishing it! There are a number of factors involved in getting the server up and running and unfortunately they're not all in the one place. Hopefully when I'm done it will be a one stop shop for server installation complete with screen shots.
From what I can gather the latest versions of Perl and MySQL are not fully compatible with the server and DB files. I also learned by trial and error about patching in the latest .sql files from the utils directory none of the present guides have these things in them. This is not a criticism of the great job others have done but I'd like to build and improve on what has been developed before.
Right now I just wish I could resolve the connection problem when trying to enter the world from the character selection screen on a LAN PC!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Well an update on my situation:

Minilogin "seems" to hate me, but I got the EQEmuLoginServer.exe to play nice with world server finally.

My hangup is, no matter what I do, I can't get past "invalid username and/or password" when trying to login.

I tried various things:

deleted the account from database to see if one will just auto populate, no luck.
tried to enter an unhashed password in the password field in the database, no luck.
tried hashed password, no luck.

I am at a loss so far as to how to play on my server. I once did successfully connect through the eqemu login servers but this is not how I want it to work. So I know my database is at least functioning well enough.

Off to more searching. Once I get this working, I will try to retrace all my steps of success and create a emulator on another machine from scratch and document the steps and all files needed to help with a guide update. But until I can actually log in to my server that isn't going to happen soon.

Any guide help I will add is for offline only steps. As I think the current guides need some help in that area. I also thank everyone so far in this community. I been a member for years and inactive for most of it. It is great to see so much work continuing to be done.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
EQFAN2009
Fire Beetle

Default Minilogin

Hey Speedz,
Most of the documentation I have read suggests that Minilogin is deprecated and the Eqemuloginserver.exe is the way to go even for internal systems such as yours. I have been able to get this up and running following Vales' guide no problems. If you want to stick with the minilogin then track down the PDF guide on this website and look at the bottom of the guide.
Cheers
EQFAN
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Yea I have givin up on minilogin, I get a constant issue with fatal errors in connecting in world.exe

So I am now messing with Eqemuloginserver.exe, this is where I can't get the login/passwords to work.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
EQFAN2009
Fire Beetle

Default Eqemuloginserver passwords

Vales' guide sections 9 & 10 contains the following information on inserting new accounts into your local loginserver table.
insert into tblLoginServerAccounts (AccountName, AccountPassword, AccountEmail, LastLoginDate, LastIPAddress) values('Admin', sha('password'), 'admin@somewhere.com', now(), '127.0.0.1');

I've not tried multiple logins yet as I've not been successful connecting to world over LAN, but I have tried various different accounts with success. I normally restarted mysql (from cmd prompt NET STOP MYSQL then NET START MYSQL) to refresh the database once the new DB and tables have been added and updated.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Yep been there done that in various forms, tried rewriting user name/passwords and restarting mysql. I even restarted computer a few times after edits...

No go, definatly starting to wear me a little thin.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

You know, I had a thought...Not sure if this has been discussed before.

But what about creating a VM with the basics needed to run an up-to-date server that people can grab?

Maybe every once in a while (obviously not constantly) remake or update it.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
hybrid125
Fire Beetle

In this guide, Perl 5.10 is used. How come it was never revised to state that 5.8.9 works and Perl 5.10 doesn't? Or are there some envirornmental factors that were not mentioned?

I'm using a fresh Windows XP Pro, SP2 install on a P4 3.2. Pretty basic rig. Windows Firewall/IC Sharing has been disabled. Antivirus protection disabled (for testing purposes right now). When I try to follow this guide exactly, I get the perl58.dll error. If I install Perl 5.8.9, I get a 1017 error and it says I own 0 of 0 expansions. And this is happening when I fire up EQ Titanium on the same box that is running ther server. I see others posting about questions beyond the initial login to their world server.

Are there some login or world server values that someone can give me that they know work. For instance, if I try U/N: usernameusername and P/W: passwordpassword, it will not let me past the login screen, but if I use U/N: myusername29 and P/W: password2370, it works? I haven't figured out a pattern there.

Also, my server shortname and longname are the same. Is that a problem? I've tried making them different but I still got the error message.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Melcrin
Fire Beetle

I've done everything word for word but I seem to be stuck at step 4. I keep getting wrong syntax errors. Just curious as to what I am missing here.

Edit: Derp nevermind figured it out
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Melcrin
Fire Beetle

Ok i'm not sure why but when I put into my database:

source load_player.sql;

source load_bots.sql;

I get "failed to open file 'load_player.sql' , error: 2"
same with the bot sql.

It also did the same thing with the peq_db_rev922.sql
so I figured I would bypass the command prompt and just do it through heidisql which worked in putting the tables in my database.

I tried the same thing with the load_player and load_bots sql but it says the syntax is incorrect.

I'm positive the code was written correctly or else no one would of got it to work.

I've done everything word for word just not sure what the deal is.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid125 View Post
In this guide, Perl 5.10 is used. How come it was never revised to state that 5.8.9 works and Perl 5.10 doesn't? Or are there some envirornmental factors that were not mentioned?
I've actually followed this guide and installed ActivePerl-5.10.0.1005-MSWin32-x86-290470 and the only thing I can't seem to get functioning is connecting WAN clients. I'm not sure it has anything to do with Perl but just thought I'd throw that out there.