PDA

View Full Version : Let's resolve this "patch" problem

madborg
01-24-2002, 09:18 AM
The problem? You get a loss of connectivity message in the client and something that makes it sound like you need to re-patch

I am still puzzled. One camp says "don't use eqw 2.2 at all cause it has problems, use eqgame patchme". The other camp says "don't use eqgame patchme, use eqw 2.2".

First, I am not doubting that each camp is convinced that their method works. I am sort of neutral where I use "patchme" but haven't tried eqw 2.2.

Second, who is in the third camp that can say "either method works for them?"

And of course there are still couple or more that say "neither method works for them".

I need to know which camp you are in:
-camp 1: ewq 2.2 only
-camp 2: eqgame patchme only
-camp 3: either is fine
-camp 4: neither works

The following is the user scenario, at least I think so:

1. user has set up their own minilogin server

2. running minilogin, world. zone on one box

3. user logs in either on same box, or second machine same internal network [let's keep this simple for right now]

4. all the servers are up, no error messages, gtg

5. user has the correct eqhost.txt file in their client directory

6. user selects either eqw 2.2 or uses eqgame patchme.

7. all screens are okay, user gets to server select screen
[at this point should only be one server, your own]
8. user selects server, then what?

A. user gets to char select screen then selects character and gets message '------------'

B. User selects server and then gets message '---------'

Is there a third case to this?

Then using the same setup, methods, user/passwords
if user changes the choice of eqw 2.2 or eqgame patchme, then they don't get condition A or B, and can login.

I am only interested in the loss of connectivity message, the one that says something about running the patch server.

**added**
Only report your own server issues, not when you try to connect to some XYZ server.

The deadlock issue should not show up because you havn't been running long enough to do anything.

Cyrax91x
01-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Just my 2 cents. Here is my experience: I am running the minilogin server and all servers (world, and zone) come up without any error messages. Using either eqw or eqgame patchme I get to the login server showing my server name. BUT when I try to login to that server using eqgame patchme I get the disconect message saying to patch again. I have no problems using eqw 2.2. I wish eqgame patchme would work though, because I really don't want to play in a window.

Hope this helps........

PlaneGuy
01-24-2002, 02:33 PM
I'm in on this.

WELCOME TO CAMP 4, MY FRIENDS

I've got WinXP, some odd amount of RAM (3xxMB), a TBird 1400, and a TNT2 Ultra (state of the art, that).

When using eqgame patchme
I choose a server and the following happens:

EQ engine loads
Instead of char select, dump to Station.com/Verant logo as if you just opened the game
if you try to login again: "You need to patch, you bum" message at server

world.exe signals an unknown opcode 13601

With eqw 2.2
Crash when about to start loading engine (character models, etc.), right after server select.
World.exe times out the client connect.

hogger
01-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Camp 3 for me.

Except I'm not using the mini-login server - just the public one.

And BTW eqw makes my p4 blow chunks compared to patchme. Strangely enough my K6-2 500 out performs the p4 with eqw...

Vipermmx
01-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Planeguy is your desktop set to 16bit? When mine was 32bit I got the crash right after I selected server with EQW2.2. When I set it to 16bit it stopped crashing.

Im in the only can use EQW camp. I crash back to server select after it loads models with rerun patch when using patchme.

madborg
01-24-2002, 06:17 PM
I wasn't able to reproduce the loss of connectivity messages, so I copied everyone over to another system that is older and slower and have a TNT2 card.

Turns out that with eqgame patchme it got me through the server select screen but I never made it to the char select screen. It had a piece of the EQ image and then just hung.
I also got a crash.

Maybe this is a piece of useful information:

-if you get a windows crash you have to reboot the computer,
otherwise you may still have a corrupted system

-when you world server crashes, you will not see any servers on your server select screen (makes sense).

------------------
I have to sort of stay away from too much computer stuff right now because I have shoulder lock developing in both shoulders -- I had this problem before and needed physical therapy for about 6 weeks. So I have to be careful.

Zeitgeist
01-24-2002, 06:52 PM
i am in camp 3, have played for extended time with eqgame patchme and eqw2.2. Hope everyone else gets to have fun. Me? I was running around ice cometing guards in qeynos just to be a jerk =) And because I'm an enchanter :p... lol...

xiix
01-24-2002, 09:15 PM
welp guess i am a honorary member of camp 4

i run eqw 2.2 and get the "CreateSurface(Primary)failed(88760091"

i run patchme and the screen flashes black a couple times and just never loads

Hope someone can help

Zeitgeist
01-25-2002, 02:36 AM
done a reinstall of DX8+ and your video drivers? and does this happen with eqw AND patchme? or just one or the other?

xiix
01-25-2002, 02:49 AM
welp i reinstalled DX8 eqw 2.2 still doesn't work but now the patch me does thanx =)

oh btw how do u change the startzone for the EMU??

Zeitgeist
01-25-2002, 03:20 AM
well you could use the lovely EQEmu Admin Tool from WC or you could do:

world.exe startzone dreadlands

evifnagol
01-25-2002, 07:29 AM
Camp3
Server is XP with 128mb running minilogin, world, zones.
Client is XP with 128mb (seperate machine same subnet).
Get logged in with eqemu, create/select character okay, but when i attempt to enter a zone (any zone) XP pukes with what looks like an illegal operation in Zone.exe. I say "looks like" an illegal op because originally i ran the server-side on a win98se box that illegal-op'ped when attempting to enter the zone.

I've only been able to enter a zone (qeynos) once, my client (XP) dropped to the desktop without error, and ever since I can't get into any zone (even after reinstalling new db, world, zone, etc). EqW or patchme get the same results.

Love the project, i'm excited to watch it grow. Keep up the incredible work!

xiix
01-25-2002, 07:34 AM
well i got it running using patchme until after the char select screen then it either disconnects or it brings up a weird error saying i don't have the map

any suggestions??

madborg
01-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Hopeful I got some patterns going so far. If other people are clearly in camp 1 or 2 and haven't posted yet, hope they do soon.

Cyrax91x is the only person that reported being in camp 1.
Xiix came close to claiming camp 2, but then he had a problem so that puts him in camp 4 (nothing works for him).

Also in camp 4:
Planeguy
Evilfnagol
madborg (second machine)

I will probably browse the board at the other postings but I am only concerned with the ones that are clear in camp 1 or 2 right now. All the ones in camp 4 have either something set up wrong on the server side, on the client side, or it's their graphics.

oh, I fogot-- I have to run one more pass on my second system. Because I didn't confirm that my eqw 2.2 would pass or fail. If it passes, the Cyrax91x has company; if it fails, then he is alone and that makes this problem more containable. I predict that my 2.2 will fail.

**added**

Tried eqw on my second machine. Everything went fine until character select. I saw in my zone box two things:

1. Maps directory not found. True, I don't have that directory and don't plan to have one.

2. Couldn't register zone. This is interesting given that I use boot5zones.bat. But this what is causing me to not get into the zone. if the zone doesn't register, then you don't get in.

I suspect that I was getting the same messages when I was using eqgame patchme, but I couldn't see the messages. This may also expain why no one is in camp 2.

Camp 2 say this "I can only run with eqgame patchme and not with eqw 2.2". I thought someone had posted like that, but because I am tryin to stay off the computer as much as I can, haven't found it.

Differences between my machine 1 and 2:
2 has only 128 MB memory, different graphics card, and is a one-machine setup.

My number 2 is solid and has no problems.

So everyone in camp 4, concentrate with just eqw 2.2 and look to see how far you really get and the actual messages for the zone window corresponding to the zone your character is trying to enter. I suspect that everyone in camp 4 is using a one box set up too. Post if that is not the case.

Cyrax91x
01-26-2002, 06:06 AM
Since I am the only one in Camp 1 and I had some free time tonight I looked into it a bit further. Here is what my world server looks like when I try to log on. I only copied from the New CLient line since all the zones start fine.

EQW:

43997 New client from ip: 127.0.0.1 port:1174
Logged in: Local: eqemu
Sending list of guilds
46000 Unkown opcode:13601 size:2056
46995 Unkown opcode:14625 size:2056
48998 Unkown opcode: 0x9221 size:4
0000: 09 E8 B5 0D | ....
51997 Unkown opcode: 0x9220 size:16
0000: 00 00 00 08 16 16 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 | ................
Attempting autobootup of 'unrest' for Malek
Zoneserver SetZone: 127.0.0.1:9004 unrest
Enter world: Malek: unrest
Client disconnected
Removing client from ip:127.0.0.1 port:1174
Zoneserver SetZone: 127.0.0.1:9004 unrest

EQGAME PATCHME
42998 New client from ip: 127.0.0.1 port:1134
Logged in: Local: eqemu
Sending list of guilds
48006 Unkown opcode:13601 size:2056
Client disconnected
Removing client from ip:127.0.0.1 port:1134

The strange thing is that they both report : Unkown opcode:13601 size:2056

But with differnet numbers preceding it. Is the first number on the line an error code or a line number? It appears t be a line number, and if that is the case why is eqw continuing after this error and eqgame patch me not?

hmmmm....ofcourse if it is not a line number then they are different errors, and I don't have a clue :)

madborg
01-26-2002, 11:24 AM
EQW:

Sending list of guilds
46000 Unkown opcode:13601 size:2056
46995 Unkown opcode:14625 size:2056
48998 Unkown opcode: 0x9221 size:4

EQGAME PATCHME

Sending list of guilds
48006 Unkown opcode:13601 size:2056
Client disconnected
Removing client from ip:127.0.0.1 port:1134

But with differnet numbers preceding it. Is the first number on the line an error code or a line number? It appears t be a line number, and if that is the case why is eqw continuing after this error and eqgame patch me not?

hmmmm....ofcourse if it is not a line number then they are different errors, and I don't have a clue :)

Interesting observation. It wouldn't hurt to see if all the failures go through a number from "4600". I don't think it is a line number but it is a number that may indicate that the server or client is in a different state.

I will have to watch for this.

**added**
Interesting, but unfortunately those numbers change from system to system and from various runs. But I a sure that a developer could run it through the debugger

xiix
01-26-2002, 03:31 PM
well i tried focusing on using eqw 2.2 but still get the same error CreateSurface(Primary)failed(88760091" i tried what the one thread said about this problem but that did not work =(

PlaneGuy
01-27-2002, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vipermmx
Planeguy is your desktop set to 16bit? When mine was 32bit I got the crash right after I selected server with EQW2.2. When I set it to 16bit it stopped crashing.
[QUOTE]

Damn you for pointing out the obvious. I beleive that's in th readme even, but I forgot all about it! :P I still don't get in the game, but I have made a character if that means anything. :)

So the new status is:

eqgame patchme
Same as my last post on page one.

eqw
Dump to server select screen after choosing a character and trying to enter game.
world.exe says:
Sending list of guilds
31002 unknown opcode:13601 size:2056
31999 unknown opode:14625 size:2056
etc.
These unknown opcodes don't seem to bother world.exe too much.
The zone server tries to boot a zone and says it can't find it (Map: Maps\arena.map not found), drops the client (that's me) and finally shuts down the server. Zone.exe hasn't crashed, however. It just goes back to sleep.

Maybe all that's wrong is the zone the character is in. I think I'll rummage around the database and see about changing it to something I recognize, like freeport west or something.

Hope this helps! :)

Addendum
Hey... I don't have Maps/ directory... should I? The commercial EQ doesn't seem have one. Why's zone.exe looking for it, and where should it be? Heck, there isn't even anything with a .map extension in any of the EQ or EQEmu directories... this begs the question: How hooped am I? Hopefully this is just more useful information! :)

madborg
01-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Addendum
Hey... I don't have Maps/ directory... should I? The commercial EQ doesn't seem have one. Why's zone.exe looking for it, and where should it be? Heck, there isn't even anything with a .map extension in any of the EQ or EQEmu directories... this begs the question: How hooped am I? Hopefully this is just more useful information! :)

No need to worry about the Maps directory and the .map files.
that is not the cause of any problem that you may have.

evifnagol
01-29-2002, 06:29 AM
Planeguy:
I got the same thing with zone.exe going to automatic server shutdown when trying to enter the zone -- i found that making changes to the database with the Admin tool fixed it. The first time you try to make a change you'll get an error "db not in insert or edit mode" then hit Commit changes again and it saved. Once I did that, the zone server would allow me to get in. However, now zone.exe causes an illegal operation every time i try to zone in (different problem i suspect).
Hope this helps!

madborg
01-30-2002, 06:55 AM
well this is sort of goods news-- I have one system that still can't get a char into the game. After the char select, the client gets disconnected.

On my other machine I have no problem.

On the problem machine, I did a "world clean" and used eqw 2.2 -- so I could see messages (since its a one box setup). I did notice that I lost my miniloginserver connection while I was going through the character loading part.

The minilogin said that it was removing the ghost IP from 127.0.0.1. Strange given that it was using the same loginserver.ini that I had used for my two-machine set up.

anyway, the good news part, is that at least I have a system where I can try to duplicate problems.

PlaneGuy
01-30-2002, 09:56 AM
No dice. I'd previously changed my character's current zone to see it that'd get it all working, so I got the whole "db not in insert or edit mode" thing before. It still didn't work :P

It doesn't seem to crash when it gets unknon opcodes (world.exe just goes about its business), but there aren't any other error messages. Something client-side, perhaps? I unzipped eqw and changed eqhosts.txt, but that's the extent of my modifications.

Anyway, more food for thought :)

PG

Trumpcard
01-31-2002, 12:36 AM
For those in camp #1, eqw only,

try running this from the command line.

eqgame.exe patchme rather than eqgame patchme

This resolved my problem. Seems to be an issue with the way args are passed in XP/2000.

Zeitgeist
01-31-2002, 02:14 AM
planeguy -- if you are changing in the admin tool hit commit again to force the db into edit mode.

trump--interesting on eqgame versus eqgame.exe. anyone try this yet? i'm very interested in seeing results of that from the camp one crew.

Cyrax91x
01-31-2002, 10:47 AM
I am officially out of Camp1 and into Camp 3 thanks to Trumpcard's findings.

using "eqgame.exe patchme" instead of "eqgame patchme" on a win2k machine does the trick!

It is nice to see EQEmu in all of its Full screen Glory LOL :)

madborg
01-31-2002, 01:29 PM
I am officially out of Camp1 and into Camp 3 thanks to Trumpcard's findings.

using "eqgame.exe patchme" instead of "eqgame patchme" on a win2k machine does the trick!

It is nice to see EQEmu in all of its Full screen Glory LOL :)

this is definitely goofy and a candidate for the FAQ.