PDA

View Full Version : My Experiences in setting up a Server(Not a support request)

Smarto
12-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Hello there everyone!
I have made several versions of the eqemu server work on my computer, mostly due to the kind community. Now I feel like paying back part of my share with posting some of my experiences and tips.

Main Cause of 1017 Error for me
I usually was clumsy on this one. Make sure when you are getting this error of the following things:
Check the loginserver.cfg file and make sure you filled in your external IP.

Don't forget to run minilogin.exe first when you are doing.... minilogin.

Read the manual closely several times and you will usually figure out the error. Remember, most mistakes are simply oversights... well at least for me :).

Asking for Help
Every time I am about to post for help, I realize there is a search button for the forums. Many people will get a little angry if you ask a question that has been asked many times. Getting familiar with the search function can really be a great thing.

Running your Server
After getting the first few people on your server, you may get very excited. I know I did :lol:. This may tempt you to give away lots of items or parade around and give everyone GM status if your server is legit.
This can spoil the game for some people so I recommend be careful when doing it. Also watch out, giving someone you don't know a high status could possibly enable them to shut down your server!

E-mail me
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at
subbins@knightsandwizards.com

Thanks for reading!

voetsek
12-27-2003, 09:03 AM
I found it really helpful to ask someone who HAS a server running. Thats how i got my Dynasty server online and working as well as it is.

gthang187
01-01-2004, 12:41 AM
I found it really helpful to ask someone who HAS a server running. Thats how i got my Dynasty server online and working as well as it is.

I have only asked one person but i havent recieved a reply yet. i was wondering what server you guys are useing if its the ethernalquest or the eqemu. i cant use eqemu becuase i cant find that .net 2003 thing it says i need to run it. although its the only thing im missing to run it.

everytime i start ethernalquest i get to login screen i select my server and it tells me i may need to run the patch again error 1017 so i searched for the 1017 error and tryed most of what was offered. I think the reason the search was no help is becuase they dont say wich server they got the error on so it could have been eqemu or ethernal or even another one that i dont know about.

Thats another thing if anyone knows more emu's than what i have said please let me know where to get them ok thanx :)

a_Guest03
01-01-2004, 04:30 AM
Every post in this forum is for eqemu. Nobody posts about ethernalquest.

farce
01-01-2004, 05:44 AM
You dont need .NET anything to run EQEmu. You would need a c++ compiler if you were to make changes to the source and want to compile it for yourself.

However, there are precompiled binaries for windows available.. you just need to set it up.

gthang187
01-01-2004, 05:33 PM
this says i need windows 2003 and vs.net 2003 i have windows 2k i dont know of a windows 2003 do you

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9648

As this guide CLEARLY states it is for using Windows 2003 and VS.net 2003. If you are not using those version thing may not work. If you cannot figure out how to set an environmental variable in Windows you probably are not supposed to be getting a -DR and you would be better off with one of the PRECOMPILED releases on Sourceforge.

i cant get mysql to work and i have followed a few guides. i would also like to know how to use minilogin if someone could help me out with that. the reason being im networked and i dont care for anyone outside of my network loging into my server heh just want the compters in my network to login. but the main reason is i have troulbe sending and recieveing so talking to the devs login server to start mine is not an opten :( here is the error i get [Status] CURRENT_ZONE_VERSION: EQEMu 0.5.2
[Status] Loading Variables
Database Error: Lost connection, attempting to recover....
DB Query Error #2006: MySQL server has gone away
Error in LoadVariables query 'SELECT varname, value, unix_timestamp() FROM varia
bles where unix_timestamp(ts) >= 0' #2006: MySQL server has gone away
[Status] Loading zone names
Error in LoadZoneNames query 'SELECT MAX(zoneidnumber) FROM zone' #2006: MySQL s
erver has gone away
[Status] Loading items
[Status] EMuShareMem loaded
Error in GetItemsCount query 'SELECT MAX(id),count(*) FROM items' #2006: MySQL s
erver has gone away
Error: Database::LoadItems() (sharemem): GetItemsCount() returned -1
[Error] Loading items FAILED!
Failed. But ignoring error and going on...
[Status] Loading npcs
Error in GetNPCTypesCount query 'SELECT MAX(id), count(*) FROM npc_types' #2006:
MySQL server has gone away
Error: Database::LoadNPCTypes-ShareMem: GetNPCTypesCount() returned < 0
[Error] Loading npcs FAILED!
===============================
Runtime errors:

MySQL Error #1405 or #2001 means your mysql server rejected the username and pas
sword you presented it.
For more information on this error, visit http://www.eqemu.net/eqemuerror.php?id
=1

Hit any key to exit

i have set up mysql to the standers of a guide wich no one seems to say that any part of the guide was wrong and myspl responded the same as what his showed. So im at a loss on what i should do next i mean i know i will have trouble with the client side expesually now that they are updating agian and im really POed about that becuase i couldent connect to any servers besides one that was a really bad server. only pluss to that server was being a GM LOL

but enough small talk i have checked the password's localhost i have tryed 127.0.0.1 and my net ip even my router ip LOL and none of them will let the server talk to mysql does anyone know why or maybe im seting something up wrong if someone could edit a server for me that works on there comp and change the ip's to localhost if there not already set up like that i need to know the problem before i can solve it.

I am experianced in useing other server's like ragnarok online i have there server and helbreaths server aswell both are MMORPG's ragnarok server was extreamly easy to set up but i had some trouble on the client side with helbreath EQ is a little differnt from the two but still a lot a like besides differnt programs helbreath requires no program but ragnarok requires cwgwin to run it. So if anyone can help me out i would be so happy i love eq but haveing my own server to play with has been a dream come true thanx to the devs :)

jaranyu
01-02-2004, 10:42 AM
I have the EXACT same problem.

gthang187
01-03-2004, 07:31 AM
I have the EXACT same problem.

Well if you find an answear please post it on here i will do the same if i find one. i did get the other emu working that i mentioned at the top working though it was just hard to find the latest version LOL

gthang187
01-03-2004, 02:34 PM
well i fixed the problem i was trying to find vs.net 2003 when i noticed a post saying its already compiled i found that it was a problem with passwords in msql. Although it was very very hard for me to get the password right. just dont give up use the guide that says you need .net 2003 but pass the part about .net 2003 its what i did and i kept working at it and i got it. But the minilogin.exe file i cant find it nor if i did find it i wouldent know how to use it but i wont give up LOL

gthang187
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Ok guys if there is anyway to get minilogin to work on one computer. Please please let me know im really stressing over it now. i dont really understand why i cant have eq client loop back to minilogin but it wont do it i have tryed every ip i can think of ima try unhooking the ethernet cable and seeing if that will let minilogin work if the client has no net to search i doubt it will work but ima try anyways.

If anyone has figued out a way to run client emu and minilogin on one computer please post it thanx :)

Torgogots2go
12-05-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm having the same problem. Anyone have any advice?

HurtinuDaily
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey Gthang,

I noticed you are setting up EQEMu 0.5.2 if you would like to try setting up a newer one could I suggest using
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage
to setup the newest version

also suggest downloading the newest opcoads.conf from CVS, there is a link on the page I linked at the bottom of my post here.

one thing about this version is you need to go here once your server is up and running to get the mobs to spawn

http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308
only insert the top chunk of code, it fixxed it for me.

I also had trouble with the IO-Stringy causing my cpu to freeze at login, so I didnt actually do the IO::scalar step, doesnt seem to effect my server yet. /shrug

oh yea.. forgot to add, I used 127.0.0.1 where ever I was supposed to put localhost, not sure if it made a dfference but there was alot of people saying to do it.

If you dont wanna try new server ensure your DB.ini looks like thisish
[Database]
host=127.0.0.1
user=sqlusername (the username you entered whilest setting up mysql)
password=sqlpassword (the password you entered whilest setting up mysql)
database=databasename (should be eq if you followed the guide)

mattmeck
12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm having the same problem. Anyone have any advice?

besides you bumping a post from Dec 2003? with the last post in Jan 2004?