PDA

View Full Version : Ring Wars

Alvaron
12-08-2003, 09:21 AM
((Ok, maybe i'm in the wrong forum... i have no idea. This seemed like the best place for this though.))

I think it was with LoY that Verant introduced code into EQ that allowed them to stage "wars" between NPCs.

For a while, they were doing "ring wars" in which the dwarves of Thurg were fighting against the giants... t'was a great way to gain quick faction.

Can/Does/Will EQEmu support this sort of thing? t'would make the GM event i have in mind a LOT easier to do... (Saves me from having to run arround #attack-ing everything.)

Eglin
12-08-2003, 09:57 AM
((Ok, maybe i'm in the wrong forum... i have no idea. This seemed like the best place for this though.))This is the correct place to post.

I think it was with LoY that Verant introduced code into EQ that allowed them to stage "wars" between NPCs.

For a while, they were doing "ring wars" in which the dwarves of Thurg were fighting against the giants... t'was a great way to gain quick faction.

Can/Does/Will EQEmu support this sort of thing? t'would make the GM event i have in mind a LOT easier to do... (Saves me from having to run arround #attack-ing everything.)Yes, eqemu supports the notion of faction. You can use the $faction in quests to get faction standing. You can use the undocumented faction function in the native parser, or you can add a line like "sub faction{push(@cmd_queue,{func=>'faction',args=>join(',',@_)});}"to the bottom of embparser.cpp and recompile to use it in your Perl quests. If I'm interpreting Wes's code correctly, then the appropriate syntax for the function is "faction(faction id, amount)"

arkaria
12-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Don't think it was fation he was asking/concerned about but the ability to have the "war" happen without his direct interaction.

Eglin
12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Don't think it was fation he was asking/concerned about but the ability to have the "war" happen without his direct interaction.What's the difference? Maybe I should've mentioned to him, also, that factions can be altered by direct manipulation of the db... is that what you meant to clarify?

Otherwise, I interpret the part about "great way to gain quick faction" to mean that he wants to be able to set it up so that you gain faction with one party by killing their enemies. So... you, for example, find the npcid for runnyeye goblins and add a little snippet to the die event handler that increases faction with the hill of the vale or whatever.

arkaria
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
The faction part seemed simply related to the one event he gave as an example. Maybe I'm wrong but he seemed to want the automation of the war (he mensioned not having to run arround makeing each mod attack another)

Rogean
12-09-2003, 12:47 AM
It would be relatively easy to do if you know what your doing.

Alvaron
12-09-2003, 10:11 AM
The faction part seemed simply related to the one event he gave as an example. Maybe I'm wrong but he seemed to want the automation of the war (he mensioned not having to run arround makeing each mod attack another)

Pretty much exactly what im looking for.

Kgaul
12-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Yes, eqemu supports the notion of faction. You can use the $faction in quests to get faction standing.

Ok super noob programmer question but here goes anyway Eglin..

will this perl perser just defign a bunch of functions we can call to create our quest enviroment?

(sorry to split the thread)

Kgaul

Eglin
12-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Yes, eqemu supports the notion of faction. You can use the $faction in quests to get faction standing.

Ok super noob programmer question but here goes anyway Eglin..

will this perl perser just defign a bunch of functions we can call to create our quest enviroment?

(sorry to split the thread)

Kgaul
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking.

Kgaul
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
haha sorry, i'm trying to understand the programming logic at work here. What i was wondering is if your just using something like the PhP "FUNCTION somefunction()" to name functions that we will just call in our .qst to create our quests...

Hope that was more clear. I know PhP has about 400ish functions with the ability to create endless amounts more (like most programming languages i'm assuming)

I'm just starting to learn how to program, and was just courious..

Thanks,
Kgaul

Shadow-Wolf
12-10-2003, 01:06 PM

correction still are the ring war is player started, its a quest once you turn in an item an army of giants spawn and head for thrug, durring this you have to kill the leader and protect the dwarvin generals.

JohnRev
12-31-2003, 07:03 PM
Of course it's possible, you'd have to make the encounter significantly easier I'd say...the waves like live? the wave length? the general length of the entire event? You could easily make a modified version of one, that'd be fun, challenging, and neat to participate in...if you get one working, with a decently stable server(not piece of shit) please post. That'd be awesome

Squiffy
02-17-2004, 01:28 PM
You can use the perl/qst syntax to automate the mob spawning and #attacking and whatnot.

I presume you could also, like someone mentioned, force opposing factions on the NPCs, then get them to run towards some point, causing the two armies to aggro each other, with no need to force them to attack.

It's something I plan to work on on my server, eventually. I'm still experimenting with the quests and spawns and whatnot to find the limitations of the software compared to my imagination :wink: