PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Quests to work at all.....

tommygun
12-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Running EQEMU 0.5.2, with a working database (tcs i think) and minilogin, mysql 4.0.16, w2k pro - no problems. As soon as I create a quest for a zone, the zone becomes unavailable.

I tried to create a single quest: created \eqemu\Quests\ecommons folder and a 3870.qst file for Pardor the Blessed. Very simple quest:

EVENT_SAY{
if($1-=~"Hail"){say("Well met, young $name !")}
}

But once the server is rebooted, any attempt to get into East Commons results in 'zone not available' from the character select screen, or being booted back to server selection if trying to zone in from within the game.

Do I need to install anything else to enable quests on my server, or am I doing something wrong in the setup?

Thanks for any help

Kroeg
12-21-2003, 02:52 AM
EVENT_SAY{
if($1-=~"Hail"){say("Well met, young $name !")}
}

This should have semicolons ';' after each function...

like this:

EVENT_SAY {
if($1-=~"Hail"){ say("Well met, young $name !"); }
}

That's one place to start.... I couldn't get the old style to work.. but try removing the comma, trying again.. adding a space here or there, trying again.. etc.[/b][/b]

tommygun
12-23-2003, 06:28 AM
thx for the help Kroeg, but it didn't work.

Guess i'll just have to leave it as a questless world for the moment.... :?

Muuss
12-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Check if you don't have a row starting with a /END at the end of your files. some example provided on that forum were having this and its causing quests to bug.

pepper
12-29-2003, 06:44 PM
I am running exactly the same setup as tommygun and as soon as i add quests in either the old or new format, attempting to start the quest leads the zone to crash. Any suggestions?

Muuss
12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
You may try to check the following things :
- what version of eqemu are u running, is it known to work or no with quests (check this on the forum, with the search button).

- check and recheck your syntax, start with a very basic quest, like just an say event, check if the zone crashes, add an answer to 'hail', check the quest again... once you ll be able to build a working script, the following ones will take less time (copy/paste)

- if you don't know the syntax well, try to use the questeditor (link in my sig), clickies will save you some time

- cross your fingers :)

GL

Lurker_005
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
ahh you have a comma in there. I know this causes problems with perl, and remember it also did with the qst format. I'm not sure if it actually crashed or not though. I see you left a space after $name, this is needed otherwise it will output $name instead of the variable contents.

Kroeg: is the ; required now? Back in 4.4 I am pretty sure it didn't...

Anyhow, delete or move everything in {eqemu base}\quests and save this code as {eqemu base}\quests\default.qst see if that works

EVENT_SAY{
if($1-=~"Hail"){say("Well met young $name !")}
}

Muuss
12-29-2003, 10:23 PM
; is a sine qua non condition to make qst quests working now.
so as default.qst, i suggest :

EVENT_SAY{
if($1-=~"Hail"){ say("Well met young $name"); }
}

pepper
12-29-2003, 11:15 PM
hehe, unfortunately i took it a step further and installed perl, happy to say questing works fine :)
Now can anyone point me in the direction of any downloadable perl quests?

edit: scratch that, just found a thread where lurker said he had some, just in case you havent uploaded them to webspace, will you still email some?

and appreciate the earlier help ;)

Kroeg
12-29-2003, 11:43 PM
I've also made these quests available at one time (I personally think the link got lost) ... here is a 'basic' quest set converted to perl:

http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/perl_quests.zip

Have old .qst files? Need to convert the ones you find into perl (.pl) files? Use this handy utility posted by eglin (thanks again man) here:

http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/convert.zip

Just slap this in your \quests\ folder and double click it once you have perl installed... it should automatically convert all .qst files to .pl files --very handy.

Hope this helps :)

samandhi
02-03-2004, 08:59 AM
http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/convert.zip

Just slap this in your \quests\ folder and double click it once you have perl installed... it should automatically convert all .qst files to .pl files --very handy.

Had a questions about that if anyone knows. If you already have SOME basic .pl quests and use the converter to convert .qst files into .pl will they overwrite the ones already there if they match (read are the same quest)?