PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux distribution?

Warthog
04-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Hey all. I saw the EQ Emu site and freaked, I haven't played in about two years and I still get EQ dreams now and then.

I was installing Linux on the OOOOOOLD beast today, and ran into a problem. RedHat 7.2 doesn't like machines with 16 megs of ram. This old computer is a 486dx4/100, 16 megs ram (32 really, but the motherboard only thinks it's 16 and I can't find a bios update), 512MB hard drive.

Soooo I thought that before trying another distribution, I'd just ask everyone here what's ideal. Debian maybe? Hopefully it'll support this crap-tastic machine.

_OZZY_
04-10-2002, 04:20 PM
My suggestion...for what it's worth...is to run an older version of Slackware on it. I have damn near the same set up on one of my boxes. Only difference is I actually do have 32M. The Slack I'm running is 3.2. I know it's old...but it is stable. I haven't tried to compile the server on it, but it should work if you compile MySQL on it (or have the dev libraries).

theCoder
04-11-2002, 12:25 PM
You might also want to try one of the code distributions such as Gentoo or Sorceror (thought I think Sorceror is experiencing some problems right now). /. and k5 had a story on installing Gentoo recently which you might want to check out. The advantage to code distributions is that you can choose exactly what you want to install (this is a lot like slack, but a little easier it seems).

Warthog
04-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Gentoo looks nice, but I looked over the site and they mention requiring 64MB of ram I think. Which I'll likely have to get anyway..

ninja_looter
04-18-2002, 05:47 PM
LOL, 486X16mb , there is no chance in the freaking world youll make RH7.2 run.. You might go 5.2 but performance is minimum.

Get real. don't even for the life of Open Source think that BECAUSE YOU INSTALL Linux on a 486!..... It will out perform a NEW! AMD processor! or P4 for that matter, your out of your leauge!

your old 486, needs to take a nose dive,

And all you UNIX and Windows dues need to be aware, I WILL NOT CODE A Dx for Linux 5.2, that is stupid!

OK, and Deb, your a real IDIOT to use that,that is pure crap, and luck of the draw!! Use X-raw if you want to be a real installer..

You want a fast Linux Distro installed use mandrak. dont go through the crap I went though... if you do, your as dumb as I am. Debian SUcks my nutz, this crap is stupid! and not worth it!, there is so much Distros out there that can save your ass, and still be reliable, Debian! LOL Ill break your debian in 2 seconds! I can own it too, just like all OS's!!! Thinks SAM, in NT, 2k, single RH, Debain. LOL... stupid for making this Distro.. Debian is soo prone...

ninja_looter
04-18-2002, 06:05 PM
I just thought of a joke for Debian, GET your mom's hair, while I'm getting some of her lower hair! LMFAO\\

Sorry, take this to Linux Support =)

ibleet
04-19-2002, 02:19 AM
Definitely Debian! Move forward in time.

Ibleet

Erim
05-16-2002, 10:04 PM
ninja_looter, I hope you don't believe in yourself... Mandrake is redhat, but with more trash included, both Redhat and Mandrake are commercial, and if it werent for the GPL, they would sell it just like Microsoft sells its stupid Windows, Redhat/Mandrake are not Linux anymore. I run a server-cluster here with 24 old 386 Compaq laptops (don't recall the name, they were on cheap sale, 5$ each) and I run Dettu[Xx] on them, of course, one could use a minimalistic distribution such as an old Slackware, without X of course. Running Redhat, Mandrake, Debian or any other big distribution would be just plain stupid, almost comparable to running Windows XP on Warthog's computer. As for the performance, a 100mhz 486 is well enough, Linux was originally developed on a 386, of course, you would not be able to run more than about two zones, and not more than a couple of players, but that's good enough for a small home network.

Trumpcard
05-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Ive been plugging this one for awhile, but I think in his case running the Gentoo distro is probably his best bet. Everything you decide to install is compiled locally from the source, giving you the best chance for optimal performance.

Ztaar
06-06-2002, 07:57 PM
I can make a RH 7.2 run on a 486 with 16Mb RAM, but to do so requires good knowledge of the packages. Having run Linux for 7 or 8 years now has given me that knowledge.
Main problem with the 486 is that it only has a 512Mb HD.
Ninja's suggestion of using RH 5.2 is probably ok, but you have to install a lot of updates afterwards, otherwise you probably won't be able to compile the source.
When (read: If) you get that comp to run, I am not even sure how well it will perform as a server, so it would probably be best if you run it all on the comp you run EQ from (and use EQW), since it will, most likely, have more power and it will require a lot less work to get the emu running there.

Anytime Emu
06-11-2002, 05:50 AM
i know that this might sound really funny to Linux users but IMO use FreeBSD :) Its super stable and if you use a 2.x distro it will run on 8mb to ram.

Trumpcard
06-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Hardly anyone ports anything to it. Its not super hard to port things from Linux to it, just not many people are actually doing it.

FreeBSD is a good OS, it just doesnt have the fanbase and active development that Linux is enjoying. FBSD is very stable though, and makes a helluva good server, but so do most decent linux distro's... 2 years ago (or maybe even 1 year ago) i might have agreed with you, but Linux has gone a long ways..

Anytime Emu
06-11-2002, 07:41 AM
FreeBSD can now use most linux packs and you can even use some RPMs that redhat users like, plus FreeBSD might not get a new distro every 3 mons but is actively used and dev. everyday.