PDA

View Full Version : Quest Development

mollymillions
01-09-2004, 10:35 PM
People have asked me in the past if there was a team working on EQ Live like quest development that they could join. I don

Synch
01-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Molly, I'm unable to log in anonymously into your ftp server. I get a 530 error on every attempt.

This seems like a good idea. I'll start looking around and see what quest info I can get. It's been five or so years since I played live, so my knowledge is a bit out of date. x.x

astonerii
01-11-2004, 08:15 AM
I cannot download that file. is it still active?

mollymillions
01-11-2004, 08:51 AM
You will need to use an FTP client. I tested it using WS_FTP with user name anonymous@phatcontroller.org (any password) and could uplaod and download? I will test it from another location.

astonerii
01-11-2004, 09:18 AM
WS FTP worked great, thanks
but it does require a password

THANKS

Muuss
01-11-2004, 10:17 PM
user name anonymous@phatcontroller.org (any password)

anonymous ftp logins usually requires an email address as password, might try that perhaps )

MacLeod
01-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Do these quests need to have the original text or can they be ad-libbed?

Also, does it matter if for a quest where you put 4 items in a box to combine to give to someone that you just hand in the 4 items instead, or how would I do something like this? Make it a recipe or...?

*EDIT* I guess basically.. do these need to be exact or just close enough to get the main point across? Like if I didn't put in faction hits/amount of experience given was not right, etc. I don't know good numbers for these things so I would probably make very small adjustments if any. *EDIT*

I'm going to try to put together some quests, and I don't want to contaminate the archive. :)

mollymillions
01-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Good questions MacLeod. These quests are by the public for the public and whatever you can get together will be appreciated, I can only give my opinion but perhaps a public opinion will be reached through discussion?

My opinion:
The original Live texts and faction changes, etc, are gold (the details of the item hand ins/returns are easy to come by but the actual texts are not). You will find that some of these quests contain multiple responses for the same question. These responses are supposed to be given based on different conditions, but the conditions are not known. The text itself is still valuable for future reference so please don

MacLeod
01-20-2004, 01:57 PM
By the way...

I noticed one NPC for a quest was located under the ground by 40 units, should I just upload a file, say UpdateUlrich.sql, to the server as well to fix his beginning location?

Also, since there isn't really a way to make a dog go to a person except by creating a path/depopping one dog/etc etc. I think I'm just going to leave this quest unfinished until maybe a goto command is added.

mollymillions
01-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I would upload the sql and it will be included with the collection. With a bit of luck there is someone involved in the world building teams that is also interested in quest development that may merge the changes into the standard db releases, even if this does not happen anyone that is using the collection on their server will probably check out the mods and implement them once they are sure that they are worthwhile.
It would be cool to come up with a routine that reads the loot data from the EVENT_DEATH subs in the quest files and adds it as true loot entries in the DB. I could write this routine if any world builders are interested in incorporating the critical loot drops for quests into the standard DB?

Cyril Gray
01-21-2004, 05:51 AM
I've tried downloading the file and I keep getting what turns out to be a corrupted ZIP file. It registers as 755,640 bytes in size, transfers 758,568 bytes, and displays as a bad zip file, no zip file or part of a spanned zip file when I get it back on my machine.

That aside, as my first post on this board, I must say that this project has rekindled my interest in EQ. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen :D But I do like what has been done and the possibilities that remain.

Cheers.

mollymillions
01-21-2004, 09:34 PM
I just downloaded the file (using WS_FTP) as a test and the file was OK? Is it possible the FTP client you are using is handling the file as an ASCII file rather than a binary file? I am not really an expert in these matters but someone else may be able to supply some insight into the problem.

Cyril Gray
01-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Molly,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what was the issue, but using the ftp.exe for Win2000 caused problems and using CoffeeCup Free FTP on Win98SE worked fine :?: It might very well have been the issue you mentioned, but at this point i'm to happy about having been able to retrieve it to look into it further :D

I'm going to attempt a simple quest script to get more acquianted with the process. I'll be sure to try and upload anything I come up with. Thank you for providing access and a place to collaborate.

dank
01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
i keep getting failed connection...can that zip file be posted or does phatcontroller have a website or something?

dank
01-22-2004, 07:22 PM
solved my own problem on the next search result....

Squiffy
01-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Very nice work! Have yet to test it out, but even if it's buggy as hell, that's still a damned daunting task to undertake ;)

Nice job

mollymillions
01-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Just thought i would post a couple of snippets that may or may not be useful examples (please correct me if any are bad examples).

Random handout and say
quest::summonitem("int(rand(7))+5019");
my @items = (5303,5304,5305,5313,6303,6311,6312,7300,7301,7311 ,7499);
quest::summonitem("$items[int(rand($#items+1))]");
sub EVENT_TIMER {
my $random = int(rand(4));
if($random == 0){
quest::say("Outta my way, ya big lummox!"); }
if($random == 1){
quest::say("Time to drain the [dragon].. If ya know what I mean.. Bwah ha ha ha."); }
if($random == 2){
quest::say("You know you love me."); }
if($random == 3){
quest::say("Hey Fishboy! You dropped something! Bwah ha ha ha!"); }
}

Sometimes its required that an NPC moves away from another one, usually to allow one of them to be killed. You can't make an NPC walk or run to a particular location, as far as i know, so as a work around you can get the NPC to follow the PC for a short period -but If the NPC is not killed there is no easy way to return it to its spawn location.
sub EVENT_SAY {
if($text=~/come/i){
quest::follow($userid);
quest::settimer(1,30); }
}
sub EVENT_TIMER {
quest::stoptimer(1);
quest::sfollow();
}

Recently i have found this query usefull for checking tradeskills
SELECT items.name product, skillneeded, i1.name i1
, i2.name i2, i3.name i3, i4.name i4, i5.name i5
, i6.name i6, i7.name i7, i8.name i8, i9.name i9
, i10.name i10, tradeskillrecipe.*
FROM tradeskillrecipe, items
LEFT JOIN items i1 ON tradeskillrecipe.i1 = i1.id
LEFT JOIN items i2 ON tradeskillrecipe.i2 = i2.id
LEFT JOIN items i3 ON tradeskillrecipe.i3 = i3.id
LEFT JOIN items i4 ON tradeskillrecipe.i4 = i4.id
LEFT JOIN items i5 ON tradeskillrecipe.i5 = i5.id
LEFT JOIN items i6 ON tradeskillrecipe.i6 = i6.id
LEFT JOIN items i7 ON tradeskillrecipe.i7 = i7.id
LEFT JOIN items i8 ON tradeskillrecipe.i8 = i8.id
LEFT JOIN items i9 ON tradeskillrecipe.i9 = i9.id
LEFT JOIN items i10 ON tradeskillrecipe.i10 = i10.id
WHERE tradeskillrecipe.product = items.id
ORDER BY items.name

NPC's and loot:select npc_types.id, left(npc_types.name,32), spawn2.zone, lootdrop_entries.item_id, items.name
from npc_types, spawnentry, spawn2
left join loottable_entries on npc_types.loottable_id = loottable_entries.loottable_id
left join lootdrop_entries on loottable_entries.lootdrop_id = lootdrop_entries.lootdrop_id
left join items on lootdrop_entries.item_id = items.id
where npc_types.id = spawnentry.npcid
and spawnentry.spawngroupid = spawn2.spawngroupid
and npc_types.name like '%Slixin_Klex%'
order by npc_types.name

diolas
01-27-2004, 06:26 AM
I'm still having problems connecting to the ftp server.

The site name I'm using is:
ftp://ftp.phatcontroller.org/perl_quests.zip

login name:
anonymous@phatcontroller.org

also, I'm using WS_FTP LE

Specifically, I can't connect to the site.

Error message reads as follows:
! Can't Get "ftp://ftp.phatcontroller.org/perl_quests.zip" host entry
! Connection failed ftp://ftp.phatcontroller.org/perl_quests.zip

I've tried omitting the Perl_quests.zip as part of the ftp name, same problem.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

masticism
01-27-2004, 09:00 AM
anyone having connections problems, try this link instead

ftp://anonymous%40phatcontroller.org@ftp.phatcontroller. org/

Just enter an empty password.

(Tested with Mozilla 1.6, Netscape 7.1) and IE (Thanks for pointing this out diolas)

diolas
01-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks Masty, that one worked quit easily through explorer.

mollymillions
01-27-2004, 10:53 PM
The site name I'm using is:
ftp://ftp.phatcontroller.org/perl_quests.zip

The FTP site name is phatcontroller.org (I should have posted the site name and file name seperately).

MacLeod
02-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Is the FTP read only now? I can't upload files.

Been real busy but caught a few syntax errors in a couple files.

mollymillions
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks for picking that up McLeod. The access rights definately were screwed up.

Rolenar
03-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Hmm, I can't seem to long on, (after a number of attempts), I am using the recomended user name, but it keeps giving this error:

USER anonymous@phatcontroller.org
331 Password required for anonymous@phatcontroller.org.
PASS (hidden)
530 Login incorrect.

I am unsure why, and WS_FTP will not allow blank password
Any tips/ideas would be appriciated

ryder911
03-23-2004, 03:06 PM
I tried using IE and i get Page cannot be displayed any reason why? or anyone no a way i can fix this? Thanks any help is appreciated. Please no flaming i no im a noob ;P

Rolenar
03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
IE won't be able to access the site, you must download an ftp client, there are a number of free (well, trial based) clients out there, including the chocie of mollymillions, WS_FTP

mollymillions
03-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I cancelled the site yesterday, it wasn't required anymore. There hasnt' been any submissions from users for long time (about a month and a half or so).

shocker1322
03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey, I am new to EQEmu. I have spent the last 3 days reading as many forums as I can to get all the server stuff working. Now that I finally got it working, I cannot find any quests. Would it be possible to get a copy of the file perl_quests.zip? I just missed the server being pulled down, and I cannot find a mirror for it anywhere. Thanks. If you need an email address, I can give that too.

m0oni9
04-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I have a perl_quests.zip, last modified 1/17/04. Send me a message with email, or find me in chat as 'bleh', and I'll be happy to send it.

Xabob
04-17-2004, 12:30 PM
This unsupported i would like a copy if anyone has it i know this is a very old post

smogo
04-17-2004, 12:46 PM
check http://quests.eqemulator.net/cgi-bin/files.cgi 8)

KhaN
04-17-2004, 08:40 PM
!

Smogo powah~

Monrezz
04-17-2004, 11:31 PM
http://quests.eqemulator.net/files/perl_quests.zip