PDA

View Full Version : Programming language?

t3mp14rX
01-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Just curious as to what exact language the EQEmu server is written in? I'm currently programming in C++ and learning DirectX\Direct3D8 and would like to contribute to this project if possible.

ty

RoByte
01-25-2002, 07:58 AM
It's a mix of c and c++. The syntax and usage of char arrays is definitely similar to that of a c program, but also contains classes and other object-oriented designs from c++. Overall the source is in c++ using some older notations and functions.

PimpDaddy
01-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Also note that since its the server, not the client, use of DX/D3D is not necessary. In fact if *nix is to be supported ...

Zeitgeist
01-26-2002, 10:07 AM
then people would have to use a good and current version of WINE? :p heeh... anyone wanna step up and mainstain the *nix port? c'mon we know you love a good recursive mutex... :p lol I have no idea what I just said :confused:

t3mp14rX
01-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Yeah after this post I noticed the .cpp files in the package <smacks self on the forehead> and was exploring how they're setup. Very nice work indeed. However I'm really disappointed with the item database. Most custom made packs I've come across are riddled with errors, and the default database is extremely limited. I'm sure you all know of Magelo, an EXTREMELY popular database and profiler system. This database has the widest array of items I've ever come across, I've challenged it myself. I've attempted to find an item which it didn't contain (even some that are discontinued) yet it still had them. I'm going to try and get in contact with the Magelo people and discuss the possibility of getting access to the database. If there was a way we could complete the item database simply based on Magelo's, this would reduce errors and limited content dramatically. I noticed a few other problems recently, such as the inability to make a proccing weapon. I'm going to explore the .cpp files a bit closer and see if I can understand where exactly these things are handled and what I could do about it.

PimpDaddy
01-26-2002, 05:57 PM
I thought proccing weapons more or less worked, but its just that the effects aren't all in the emu yet. Then again maybe Im wrong and it was only the latent item effects that worked :)

On the concept of WINE, .. an interesting notion,.. but relying on emulators is usally not the best strategy :)

Anyway, this emu is a winner and getting enough content will be another key to its success. Getting the magelo database would be interesting indeed :D

Yodason
01-27-2002, 07:21 AM
WINE would add too much overhead.