PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing IO::Scalar

dank
02-06-2004, 04:36 PM
perl installed without problems, but when i try to "install IO:Scalar i get this error..
IO-stringy-2.109/README
Removing previously used \.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109

CPAN.pm: Going to build E/ER/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for IO-stringy

IBM(R) Program Maintenance Utility for Windows(R)
Version 3.50.000 Feb 13 1996
Copyright (C) IBM Corporation 1988-1995
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1988-1991
All rights reserved.

@ C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command" -e mkpath blib\lib
NMAKE : fatal error U1081: '@' : program not found
Stop.
"C:\perl\nmake.exe" -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

cpan>

any suggestions...

Lurker_005
02-07-2004, 08:50 AM
it sort of looks like you have an @ in your config in place of a program and or path

Eglin
02-07-2004, 10:19 AM
rofl... ibm make? sux to be you

j/k. the make dependency is a mistake on the part of cpan. it would make a lot more sense to use perl to automate the install. whatever the case, just untar the archive and copy the modules to an appropriate location.

farce
02-07-2004, 01:55 PM
you need a copy of nmake...

samandhi
02-07-2004, 03:16 PM
What is happening is you left out a step after installing perl. Well, you also have to have a copy of nmake.exe. Here is a quote to help you. And the link to download nmake.exe is here (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/cvs/jsp/~checkout~/jspformatbean2/Attic/NMAKE.EXE?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=application/exe).

To get perl installed and working

Download activestate perl 5.8 msi package Then install using the default settings for everything. Now reboot so path changes take affect.
Congradulations, Perl is installed.

Now to install IO::scalers
You will need a copy of nmake.exe if you don't have one. nmake.exe save with a .exe extension.
Type the following in a dos window

Code:
perl -MCPAN -e shell

hit enter on all config defaults except for location of nmake.exe
Put quotes around the path to your nmake.exe if it includes spaces

Code:
install IO::Scalar

Wait till it is done, and says "install OK"

Perl problems people have had
If perl isn't installed propperly the zone windows will seem to just disapear after starting up.
Zone.exe with perl quests requires perl58.dll to ONLY be in your perl\bin directory. Make sure you do not have another copy on in your windows\system32 (or elsewhere in your path) Note that is perl58.dll
While IO::scalers is not required for perl quests, the precompiled exe's that were released with perl scripts also included the perl plugins as well, which do require IO::scalers to be installed for perl. To test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a dos window

Code:
perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'AOK'"
If you get an error it isn't working. See above for how to install IO::scalers

And if you havnet compiled eqemu to be perl enabled, you will have to follow this guide (as Im not sure if there are any perl enabled binaries out YET in the 0.5.3 versions).

You either have to download the pre-compiled binaries with perl support, or you have to compile the binaries yourself.

Right now by default perl is not enabled when you compile. You will need to define EMBPERL for perl quests, and/or EMBPERL_PLUGIN for perl plugins (remember plugins require IO::Scalers)

To create another build configuration with perl support in VC++6
open the server (or zone) project
menu-- build,configurations
select zone-win32-Release and press add
set the configuration name to Relase with Perl
set copy configuration from zone-win32-Release
menu-- build,set active configuration
select zone-win32-Relase with Perl
menu-- Project, settings
Select c/c++ tab
with the category pulldown reading General add ,EMBPERL,EMBPERL_PLUGIN to the end of the Preprocessor defines
Change category to Preprocessor and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional include Directories
select the link tab
change the category to input and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional library path
Close window
menu-- project, add to project, files
select zone\embparser.cpp make sure it has insert into: zone selected
do the same for embperl.cpp embparser.h and embperl.h

Now you can build a zone.exe with or without perl support. It will put the zone.exe with perl in a sub directory of the zone source. This is how I set it up so that it worked. If there is a "proper" way please let me know.

If compiled with perl quest, all quests must be in perl format. the *.qst files will not be read!

dank
02-07-2004, 04:16 PM
it sort of looks like you have an @ in your config in place of a program and or path

yeah thats what what i thought it was....but i followed lurkers walkthru to a tee and also added the path to winrar for tar and zip files, with " signs like this "C:\program files\winrar\winrar.exe"
i placed nmake.exe in c:\perl\namke.exe
Eglins response seem pretty viable (<---is that a word)
although i didn't understand what u meant, i should untar what now... with a name like eglin i would guess u know alot about linux and thats cool, when i started to toy with linux i had a neverending bout with some crap about "make" and .makefile or something like that, i would be gracious if u could give me a quick rundown on what modules i need and if putting them in my \perl\bin directory would be the appropriate place to place the modules
thanks
also...i need to have perl enabled binaries...i hope i don't need to go sofar as to install cvs and all that...but if so i guess i can stumble through it....

samandhi
02-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Ok here goes.

What you need to do is to take that nmake.exe file and put it not in C:\perl but in C:\perl\bin directory.... Now run the config of perl and leave EVERYTHING as default, including the nmake.exe because it will find it this way... NOW try installing your IO::Scalar....

Oh one thing you have to change if you are behind a router, you will have to put your proxy (read, your ip address of your router to act as a gateway) Otherwise leave everything alone, it will do it all on its own beleive it or not..

dank
02-07-2004, 10:40 PM
ok i moved nmake.exe to the bin dir and then after i typed install IO::Scaler i got this message, i don't know if its good or bad...come to think of it if this installed correctlly does this mean i now have to install everytime i start the server or do i just start cpan.bat in the background, i am unsure of what i have to so after i have completed this portion...i have several .pl files in the \eqemu\quest directory...what is the next step?
oh yeah the error or non-error or whatever this is.....
IO-stringy-2.109/t/Common.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/t/IO_WrapTie.t
IO-stringy-2.109/COPYING
IO-stringy-2.109/contrib/
IO-stringy-2.109/contrib/Clever.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/MANIFEST
IO-stringy-2.109/README.system
IO-stringy-2.109/Makefile.PL
IO-stringy-2.109/README

Looks good
-- OK
Running make test
Bad command or file name
test -- OK
Running make install
Bad command or file name
install -- OK

cpan>

i know i am close to the solution, and am eager to begin writing my own quest...eqemu is my passion! 8)

farce
02-08-2004, 07:39 AM
you dont have to do anything with perl after you install the necessary modules.

read the perl quest howto and try them.. if they work.. then your install worked.

Lurker_005
02-08-2004, 04:48 PM
i got this message, i don't know if its good or bad...

Exit cpan, and close the doe window. The install is done, now "to test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a dos window"

perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'AOK'"

And it should respond with AOK

samandhi
02-08-2004, 09:49 PM
i know i am close to the solution, and am eager to begin writing my own quest...eqemu is my passion! If you read my erlier post that was quoting a tutorial, you would see that for one, you have it right, secondly you would also see the command how to test it... Not trying to offend, but people that want help simply need to READ, hell I put it all in this one post for you....

[edit] .i have several .pl files in the \eqemu\quest directory...what is the next step? Nothing, your done, just make some more quests or whatnot.. as long as those .pl files are in the right place (which it looks like they are), you are all set.

dank
02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
ok, that responded with:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\>perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'AOK'"
Can't locate IO/Scalar.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .
).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

C:\>

also when i restarted cpan.bat and it told me that i should try install Bundle::CPAN, which i do, after it downloads for a short time it gives me this message:
CPAN-1.76/README
CPAN-1.76/SIGNATURE
Removing previously used \.cpan\build\CPAN-1.76

The bundle file "\.cpan\Bundle\CPAN.pm" may be a broken
bundlefile. It seems not to contain any bundle definition.
Please check the file and if it is bogus, please delete it.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

cpan>

Scorpious2k
02-09-2004, 12:58 AM
It still doesn't know where nmake is because it keeps that in a config file.

I would uninstall/get rid of perl. That's extreme and there is another way to do it, but this is safest and easiest. Then reinstall it

Next run the perl -MCPAN -e shell. When it asks you if you are ready to manually install... in the words of Nancy Regan.. just say no. It will find nmake and make the config correct.

Then you can do the install IO::Scalar. It should work. Test it as Lurker_005 says above.

samandhi
02-09-2004, 06:21 AM
in the words of Nancy Regan.. just say no. LOL

dank
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
ok i deleted \perl and \.cpan and reinstalled perl, place nmake in /perl/bin and typed perl -CPAN -e shell, said no to the manual config
IO-stringy-2.109/README

Looks good

IBM(R) Program Maintenance Utility for Windows(R)
Version 3.50.000 Feb 13 1996
Copyright (C) IBM Corporation 1988-1995
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1988-1991
All rights reserved.

@ C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command" -e mkpath blib\lib
Stop.
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

cpan>
back to the original error...
i am gonna see if i can find a perl forum or something, will keep reply if i hit on anything...

Lurker_005
02-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Did you read the message that cpan had?

Stop.

So cpan is looking for nmake in c:\perl\ and not c:\perl\bin\ as previously suggested. Simplist solution at this point is to move nmake to where it is expected.

dank
05-16-2004, 10:44 PM
well after much research and a buttload of reading i seem to have successfully pulled off the command
perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'Installed'"

all i did seem to be the following...
after getting this error several times

enter directory C:\.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109\lib\IO
copy all those files to directory C:\Perl\lib\IO
enter directory C:\Perl\site\lib\IO and copy Scalar.pm Scalar.pm.html ScalarArray.pm, according to post
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12020&sid=a63ce7e7edb02ff778c4f325a819a409
these files apparentlly need to be there...
anyway that did seem to work

Tree
06-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Also make sure your nmake is a .exe , the download link from this thread isnt in .exe format so just go to your c:\perl\bin and rename NMAKE to NMAKE.exe
in the infamous words of Tree ... um *some wise arse quote*

x-scythe
06-10-2004, 03:54 AM
you do realize this thread started in february and the last post of it was a month ago...

Dave987
06-10-2004, 04:10 AM
*DO NOT BUMP OLD POSTS*

Well I saw an admin post it a while back so ... :wink: