PDA

View Full Version : Anyone able to help?

Conan
02-23-2004, 04:04 AM
A while back there was a forum that show how to setup and be able to compile with and with out perl and I cant seem to find that forum again. Anyone know where it is?

Thanks

Conan

samandhi
02-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Here's one: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12313&highlight=perl (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12313&highlight=perl)
And the one that I used (that you are probably talking about) is gone or the thread has changed, so it is a good thing I saved it as txt so I would remember how LOL. Here it is :
Right now by default perl is not enabled when you compile. You will need to define EMBPERL for perl quests, and/or EMBPERL_PLUGIN for perl plugins (remember plugins require IO::Scalers)

To create another build configuration with perl support in VC++6
open the server (or zone) project
menu-- build,configurations
select zone-win32-Release and press add
set the configuration name to Relase with Perl
set copy configuration from zone-win32-Release
menu-- build,set active configuration
select zone-win32-Relase with Perl
menu-- Project, settings
Select c/c++ tab
with the category pulldown reading General add ,EMBPERL,EMBPERL_PLUGIN to the end of the Preprocessor defines
Change category to Preprocessor and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional include Directories
select the link tab
change the category to input and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional library path
Close window
menu-- project, add to project, files
select zone\embparser.cpp make sure it has insert into: zone selected
do the same for embperl.cpp embparser.h and embperl.h

Now you can build a zone.exe with or without perl support. It will put the zone.exe with perl in a sub directory of the zone source. This is how I set it up so that it worked. If there is a "proper" way please let me know.

If compiled with perl quest, all quests must be in perl format. the *.qst files will not be read!

Daeath
02-23-2004, 10:30 AM
That makes me wish I had C++ or VS so I could compile it... For those who are unfortunate and cannot do so ourselves, can anyone post a link to a precompiled 5.3DR3 binary with Perl enabled? Been trying forever to get one... Thanks a bunch!

samandhi
02-23-2004, 11:32 AM
There is are many free compilers you can use to do this very same thing, though the places to go and change things are going to be different... There is a thread on here on how to comile in Dev C++ (which is free also). Im sure if you put that in your search, you will find that thread...

Tertiary
02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
There is a thread on here on how to comile in Dev C++ (which is free also).

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12313

Though I have not tried this with 5.5DR1

Daeath
02-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Cool, got Dev/C++ and the instructions on how to compile EQEmu with it... now with Samandhi's post above for enabling Perl, is there any difference when compiling with Dev/C++ vs. VS6?

samandhi
02-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes, and no.. The basic package is going to be the same, but you will have different menus and whatnot to add libraries and include files and set active projects, and so forth... I cant help with this, as I am not familiar with Dev C++...

Mrwalsh
02-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Alrighties, after some searching, I decided to post this problem here.

I compiled exactly as instructed above, with the release from Shawn's site (yes, I know, unsupported, but maybe somebody has an idea what's going on).

I run the boot5zones.bat batch file, and everything goes smoothly until it gets to the perl part. Here is what it looks like:

[Status] Loading embedded perl
[Status] perl error: Perl runtime error: Can't locate Symbol.pm in @INC <@INC contains: .> at <eval 3> line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at <evail 3> line 1.

[Status] Error initializing perlembed: failed to install eval_file hook
[Status] Fatal error initializing perl: failed to install eval_file hook

After that, the Windows pop-up error window shows, saying it's encountered a problem and needs to close. The Offset listed in the error report that it gives me is 00070a73, if that helps.

As a side note, it compiled without any errors whatsoever. Could it be a file it's trying to find that it isn't finding?

Mrwalsh
02-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Ooo nevermind, I may have fixed it.

I've fixed that part at least. On to the next problem! (Wish me luck!)

Monrezz
02-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Are you sure you've installed Perl, and if so the IO::Scalar?

Mrwalsh
02-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes, Perl and IO::Scalar was installed, and correctly, since I did the check ('Installed' whatever, from the tutorial) and it was working from before when I ran the server a while back.

What I did was reran the install IO::Scalar command, which updated a couple things from what I saw. May have accidently gotten deleted, I don't know. But it's fixed, and my server works now, with Perl. :) Thank you though.

Monrezz
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
No problem, glad I could help.