PDA

View Full Version : Faction - does it work?

hogger
01-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Faction - does it work?

If so, anybody got a how-to?

rembrant
01-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Factions do work, and here is how:
(I assume you are using the admin tool, and have you npc_types created)

First create your faction in faction_list, lets say you want to do Crushbone Orcs.

Click Add Record, in the name field type "Crushbone Orcs"
under the other fields you can put a positive (1) or negative (-1) number, the minimum faction defined in the source is -1,500 the maximum is 1,500.

The base field is how everyones faction, regardless of race/class/deity is for the faction. For the orcs let put in a value of -700 (defined in faction.cpp as max dubious). Now lets say the scowl at wood and high elfs, set mod_r4 and mod_r5 to -300 (race numbers are defined in races.h). now lets make dark elves mid apprehensive, set mod_r6 to 650 (-700 + 650 = -50). This doesn't touch on class or deity for simplicity, but you can make dark elf warriors following rallos zek be amiable if you want.

Second click on npc_faction and select the npc type from the drop down menu, then select the faction from the other one. The value field is how much you faction changes when you kill the npc, so lets say your NPC Type is an_orc_pawn, they are rather low in orcish heiarchy so lets set his value to -3 (every kill you lose 3 faction points), finally set the primary faction to 1.

Now lets make a secondary faction, under faction_list put in "Indigo Brotherhood" and fill out its data, now under npc faction add a new record and select your orc pawn again, then select the indigo brotherhood faction and put in a value, dark elves dont really care much so lets put in -1. But this time leave the primary faction blank.

In order to create opposing factions all you need to do is put a positive number in the value column.

IMPORTANT:
you can have no more than 10 factions attached to one NPC, nor can you have more than one primary faction defined for an NPC. I have not tested what happens when these occur, so I don't know what will happen, it may crash or just ignore them.

-rembrant

hogger
01-26-2002, 05:52 AM
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try.

So c is for class, r for race, d for deity, right?

rembrant
01-26-2002, 02:25 PM
correct, and the numbers are defined in races.h, class.h, and deity.h

Gino
02-17-2002, 11:41 PM
For some reason i dont get anything but indiff.

Drawde
02-18-2002, 05:31 AM
I've found you need to set a faction with the Primary Faction flag in npc_factions for it to have an effect on consider messages.

Yodason
02-18-2002, 06:09 AM
it works

Zeitgeist
02-18-2002, 09:24 AM
is anyone working on creating EQ-Live workalike factions?

Drawde
02-21-2002, 03:23 AM
A bug I noticed is that if a NPC has a faction but no faction penalty/bonus for killing them ("value" is set to 0) then the zone server crashes when you kill them.

TheClaus
02-21-2002, 03:39 AM
is anyone working on creating EQ-Live workalike factions?

Actually Zeitgeist I think Gino is working on it. Has some of it done already.