PDA

View Full Version : Perl caching

Puck6633
03-11-2004, 12:31 PM
I managed to get Perl working (thanks to a lot of searching :)) but now I've got a problem that searching doesn't seem to solve...

It took me a while to figure out that in order for the perl cache to be updated you have to camp, completely shut down the zone servers, restart the zone servers, and log back in.

So my question is: Is there any other way do do this? I looked through the c ommand list, but only found #peval and #plugin, and I also tried #reloadquest, but it only seems to work for .qsts.

If there isn't a command for it, does anyone know of a work around? Maybe include an external file (say, test.pl), then when the quest is stable copy and paste the contents into the quest file? Unfortunately with that system you would still have to shut down the zone server every time you switched NPCs...

Thanks in advance. :)

smogo
03-11-2004, 01:21 PM
I looked through the c ommand list, but only found #peval and #plugin, and I also tried #reloadquest, but it only seems to work for .qsts.
perl cache is broken AFAIK.

There is also an issue with plugins, there was a post a few weeks ago about this.

If there isn't a command for it, does anyone know of a work around

if you want to dynamically add/ change /update a quest for a npc, you can add the Lazy Perl Quest Writer feature as described in a post in this forum. What it does now is dynamically run a quest depending on a global variable.

If you tweak the plugin code a bit, you can have it load and eval specific quest at runtime (e.g. set questfile global varaible to 'quest1234.pl' in the DB, then upon EVENT have the plugin load and eval the quest file, and call EVENT routine).

If you want simplified version :
write your npc quest to dynamically load quest file and eval at run time. This makes you quest file a pointer to the real quest file ; change pointer value by changing the DB value.

There's more than one way to do it !

Puck6633
03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. :D

I've also gotten the EQEmu quest emulator (this is beginning to seem a bit redundant :) ) to work, which helps a lot.

Now if I could just outsmart it and sneak come commas in there... :P 8)

m0oni9
03-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I had provided this as a quick fix a while back, which is probably why it, rightfully, never went into the release.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12357

Puck6633
03-12-2004, 02:29 PM
That's just what I was looking for, thanks a lot! :D