PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Give someone else access to your db to edit

xtestx
03-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Ever wanted a friend or another GM who works on your server to edit your server straight from the db? Maybe something was too complicating to explain to you and would be easier for them to just do it?

Well Jezebel and myself tested it just to see if it would work.
I gave her my information and she tried to connect, and it worked!

We tested this with mysql-front, it'd probaly work with any item editor or any other program to access your db. We just havn't tested it yet.

*Only do this if you trust the person you are giving access to your db*

Disable Firewall before going through these steps

Here are the steps:

1. If you followed Jezebel's steps while setting up your server you probaly already have MySQL.bat somewhere. If not, open up notepad and type:

cd\mysql\bin
mysql -u root mysql

Save it and for "Save as type" put "All Files" then name it:

MySQL.bat

2. Open MySQL.bat and type:

grant all privileges to *.* on username@ip identified by password with grant option;

for "username" put your mysql username
for password put your mysql password
for ip right after the "username@" put their external ip

Hit enter, you should get something like:

Query OK, <0.00 seconds> or something like that looks like it means you did it correctly :p

Once you're finished with that type quit

3. Give that person your external IP, mysql username, mysql password, and your db name.

4. They will open up their program and when connecting to whatever program they are using they will use that information to connect.
If it asks for the EverQuest Directory just tell them to put down where their EverQuest Directory is located. They do not need anymore information.

The EverQuest Directory is usually if you don't know... or around there

C:\Program Files\EverQuest
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest Trilogy

If you followed each step it should work and they will be able to connect to your db and edit from their computer.

P.S. granting another person all privileges to your db will not take away any of your privileges.

Dave987
04-05-2004, 08:08 AM
grant all privileges to *.* on username@ip identified by password with grant option;

Should be

grant all privileges on *.* to username@ip identified by password with grant option;

Tangeleno
06-01-2004, 04:46 PM
I was wondering, is there anyway to do a wildcard or multiple IP addresses or even a range of IP addresses? Person I want to grant access to is on a dynamic IP and well I'd rather not keep changing it all the time.

**EDIT**
Figured out the wildcard sorry for bothering you all.

cofruben
06-02-2004, 03:26 AM
not sure but I think,that if the password is a word,you must put it in ' '.for example, 'password'

wize_one
06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
grant all on *.* to 'user'@'ip' idenified by 'password' with grant option; is the right string

Jezebell
06-02-2004, 08:38 AM
grant all privileges on *.* to username@% identified by 'password' with grant option;

Would give someone who uses the specified username/password to connect to any database from any IP address.

cofruben
06-02-2004, 08:41 AM
grant all privileges on *.* to username@% identified by "password" with grant option;

Would give someone who uses the specified username/password to connect to any database from any IP address.

that is not correct.

grant all privileges on *.* to username@% identified by 'password' with grant option