PDA

View Full Version : crash

sandy
04-02-2004, 05:34 AM
I don't understand why this quest makes crashing zone.exe ?
Help plz =)

sub EVENT_SAY
{
if ( $text =~ /Hail/i)
{
quest::say("gives a soft smile of warm greetings, 'Good day to you, traveler, and may the fates hold you in their highest favor. We are eternally grateful for what you are doing here -- in the planes, I mean. All of your efforts are so important -- more important, I believe, than you realize. Oh, I really should't be discussing this but, these are truly exciting times! To have all of Norrath's adventurers working toward a common goal! To have a greater enemy than your mortal neighbors and to unite against them. Aaah, how I envy you at times -- this newfound collective goal. Oh, forgive me, I ramble on where I should not. If you find yourself in need to replenish your supply stock, then perhaps my inventory would be of some interest to you? Please, search it at your leisure.'");
}
}

animepimp
04-02-2004, 07:21 AM
I think you are trying to say more than can be said in one say command. Try breaking it up into 5-6 seperate lines and seperate say commands.

Gonkers
04-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I totally suck at coding, but I see one missed thing

search it at your leisure.'");

there are 3 "'...shouldnt it be " ?.

I dunno if that matters but........

Aaah, how I envy you at times --

the -- may be crashing it

quest::say

I never had that quest::say before, I always did }say("hello")

sandy
04-02-2004, 09:02 AM
it is a ' and " at the end
=)

and it is perl

it seems in fact there is parsing errors because of the "," commas
or something like that
bleh is looking at that =)

animepimp
04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm not a perl guru, I know some, but I with every other programming language I've used it doesn't let you put quotes inside of a quote. Even if one is ' instead of ". Try putting in \' instead of jsut ' so that it doesn't treat it as a quote. I think that is correct for perl, but not 100% sure.

samandhi
04-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah, there is a KNOWN issue with adding any "," (coma's)... That is probably what is crashing it... Other than that, I would have to agree with the length of the say... Not sure if there is a word count limit, but is something worth looking into...

smogo
04-02-2004, 11:58 AM
the comma bug should be fixed as of now (since 0.5.3dr3 i guess). Check that you have latest source.

The quotes might be the reason, as embperl uses script in eval context.

However there's no need for the quotes. Might want to use the quest::emote command instead.

m0oni9
04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
This was still causing crashes in some situations with 0.5.5rc2. I took and look, and posted findings here: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13884 . Play around with it if you can. I can't get it to crash using that change. Note: I did not come across any previous changes to fix this problem as I was looking, but they may be elsewhere. :wink: