PDA

View Full Version : install IO::Scalar problem :(

Dave987
04-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey all , almost done installing perl , but I've got a problem ..

after the perl -MCPAN -e shell is type in , and the install IO::Scalar , it all scrolls past, until this bit::

Removing previously used \.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109

CPAN.pm: Going to build E/ER/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for IO-stringy
-- OK
Running make test
'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
test -- NOT OK
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

O.o . I know thats very hazy information , but I'm not sure what you need to know, so .. just post on what I need to let you know ...

Thanks all :)

animepimp
04-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm getting a similar error trying to install IO::Scalar on my computer and the exact same error when I try to install it on another computer. This is what comes up when I run it

Looks good

IBM(R) Program Maintenance Utility for Windows(R)
Version 3.50.000 Feb 13 1996
Copyright (C) IBM Corporation 1988-1995
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1988-1991
All rights reserved.

@ C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command" -e mkpath blib\lib
NMAKE : fatal error U1081: '@' : program not found
Stop.
C:\PERL\BIN\nmake.exe -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Anybody know of a site that has these modules precompiled so we could jsut unzip them to where they belong?

Dave987
04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
I C:\PERL\BIN\nmake.exe -- NOT OK

You need NMAKE.exe in your Perl/Bin directory.
Get NMAKE here (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/cvs/jsp/~checkout~/jspformatbean2/Attic/NMAKE.EXE?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=application/exe)

Dave987
04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
cpan> install IO::Scalar
Running install for module IO::Scalar
Running make for E/ER/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz
Is already unwrapped into directory \.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109
Has already been processed within this session
Running make test
test -- NOT OK
Running make install

Error message, after a clean perl install, has turned to this...
:cry: Why wont it work??

Edit :: Boot5zones.exe (At the end of everything loaded)

[Status] Loading embedded perl
[Status] Error initializing perlembed: failed to install plugin printhook, do yo
u lack IO::Scalar?
[Status] Fatal error initializing perl: failed to install plugin printhook, do y
ou lack IO::Scalar?

do you lack IO::Scalar?

Yes!! But it wont install .. any help appreciated...

RexChaos
04-04-2004, 02:17 AM
[Status] Error initializing perlembed: failed to install plugin printhook, do yo
[Status] Fatal error initializing perl: failed to install plugin printhook, do y

I've run into the same problem.

animepimp
04-04-2004, 03:34 AM
I C:\PERL\BIN\nmake.exe -- NOT OK

You need NMAKE.exe in your Perl/Bin directory.
Get NMAKE here (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/cvs/jsp/~checkout~/jspformatbean2/Attic/NMAKE.EXE?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=application/exe)

I do have nmake and its running it but nmake is encountering an error when it runs the make file. Nmake is saying can't find program '@' for some reason.

samandhi
04-04-2004, 05:26 AM
@RexChaos [Status] Loading embedded perl
ou lack IO::Scalar? Your problem is because you have perl installed, but dont have IO::Scalar installed...
Follow this guide:

Installing Perl

Download Perl 5.8, Then install using the default settings for everything. Now reboot so path changes take affect. Congratulations, Perl is installed.

Installing IO::Scalar
If you don't already have it, download nmake.exe (save with .exe extension). Copy it into your perl\bin directory. Then type the following in a DOS window:

Code:
perl -MCPAN -e shell

When asked if you want to configure it manually, say "no". Once everything is done there type in:

Code:
install IO::Scalar

Once complete it should say -- install OK.

Problems
If perl isn't installed properly the zone windows will disapear after starting up. If you followed all the above steps correctly, make sure you have a copy of "Perl58.dll" in your "C:\Perl\bin" directory. If there is a copy there, search your computer for all other copies of it and delete them. Also note it is Perl58, not 56.

To test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a DOS window:

Code:
perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'Installed'"

If you get an error it isn't working. Make sure you installed it correctly, if you didn't delete the following files in "C:\Perl\site\lib\IO" and then rerun "install IO::Scalar":
Scalar.pm
Scalar.pm.html
ScalarArray.pm

@animepimp Follow the guide above...

Hope this helps...

RexChaos
04-04-2004, 07:48 AM
To test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a DOS window:

Code:

If you get an error it isn't working. Make sure you installed it correctly, if you didn't delete the following files in "C:\Perl\site\lib\IO" and then rerun "install IO::Scalar":
Scalar.pm
Scalar.pm.html
ScalarArray.pm

Be sure to start a new DOS window to try that. :) I was running it from within perl...man I need a break. Hehe... Thanks for the help. It works fine now.

animepimp
04-04-2004, 12:29 PM
@animepimp Follow the guide above...

Hope this helps...

The problem both of us are having is that we are following the guide exactly and IO::Scalar is failing to install properly even though we do exactly what the guide says to do.

RexChaos
04-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Worked fine for me. Can you show us exactly the steps you've taken? I thoguht mine didn't work until (like I said previously) I closed the dos window and opened a new one. It didn't show that Scalar was installed properly because I was still within perl in the first window. :)

animepimp
04-04-2004, 01:26 PM
I followed the steps on hte guide exactly. First installed Perl with all the default options and then copied nmake.exe into C:/perl/bin. After that I ran perl -MCPAN -e shell and let it configure it automatically. Then I did install IO::Scalar. After downloading a lot of files from ftps it came up with the error messages I posted before. I also tried exiting perl and running the command to test it and it also failed because it says the Scalar module does not exist since the install failed. I've tried on two different machines, on one it got the error messages I posted about could not find program '@' and on the other machine it got the exact same error message as Dave987 posted in the opening post for this thread. I also retried the install on both machines several times and it continues to fail with the same errors.

govtcheeze
04-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Did you reboot after installing PERL? I seem to remember a similar problem because I did not reboot after installing PERL.

animepimp
04-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah I rebooted after installing perl and even tried rebooting again after copying over nmake.exe even though it could make no difference. Everyting ran correctly except for some weird error that won't let it compile the IO::Scalar package or whatever it has to do to build it. None of the three files mentioned at the bottom of the guide are created because of this error even though I followed the steps exactly each time.

Dave987
04-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Any fix for this yet? Mine decided to fix itself ( :? ) but I know more people getting this error...

Astartae
04-12-2004, 04:04 AM
Hey all,

After getting an error in the perl-enabled zone.exe:
I did a search here and found this post.

So, I found nmake and installed it in the Perl/bin folder and followed the commands in this post for installing IO::Scaler and got this:
D:\Perl\bin>perl -mcpan -e shell

D:\Perl\bin>install IO:Scaler
'install' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Any suggestions about what I should change here or ideas about what I'm doing wrong? Thanks....

Astartae
04-12-2004, 04:15 AM
LOL, well, don't know what I did different but I tried it again and it worked this time, so disregard the last post (unless you see an error you want to post about - might be useful to understand the errors of my ways).

Astartae
07-14-2004, 05:27 AM
God, it's been three months and I'm messing with this stuff again...

Everything seems to be working right except when installing IO::Scalar it gives me an error. This is an exact printout of my actions:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\Astartae.ASTARTAELON>C:

C:\>cd games/perl/bin

C:\Games\Perl\bin>perl -MCPAN -e shell
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

cpan> install IO::Scalar
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read \.cpan\Metadata
Database was generated on Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:04:48 GMT
Running install for module IO::Scalar
Running make for E/ER/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Checksum for \.cpan\sources\authors\id\E\ER\ERYQ\IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache \.cpan\build for sizes
Subroutine AUTOLOAD redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 84
Subroutine isaFilehandle redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm li
ne 99.
Subroutine isaFilename redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line
Subroutine gzopen redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 115.

Subroutine ParseParameters redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm
line 132.
Subroutine deflateInit redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line
Subroutine inflateInit redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::deflateParams redefined at C:/Games/Pe
rl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 220.
Subroutine compress redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 24
Subroutine uncompress redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::MAGIC1 redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/consta
nt.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::MAGIC2 redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/consta
nt.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::OSCODE redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/consta
nt.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::FTEXT redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/constan
t.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::FHCRC redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/constan
t.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::FEXTRA redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/consta
nt.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::FNAME redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/constan
t.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::FCOMMENT redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/cons
tant.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::NULL redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/constant
.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::RESERVED redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/cons
tant.pm line 108.
Constant subroutine Compress::Zlib::MIN_HDR_SIZE redefined at C:/Games/Perl/lib/
constant.pm line 108.
Subroutine memGzip redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 319
Subroutine _removeGzipHeader redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.p
m line 350.
Subroutine memGunzip redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 4
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::constant redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress
/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::zlib_version redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Comp
ress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::DispStream redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compre
ss/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzopen_ redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/
Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzdopen_ redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress
/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzread redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Co
mpress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzreadline redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/li
b/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzwrite redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/C
ompress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzflush redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/C
ompress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzclose redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/C
ompress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzeof redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Com
press/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzsetparams redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/l
ib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::DESTROY redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/C
ompress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::gzFile::gzerror redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/C
ompress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::adler32 redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/
Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::crc32 redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Compress/Zl
ib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::_deflateInit redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Comp
ress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::_inflateInit redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/lib/Comp
ress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::DispStream redefined at C:/Games/Perl/
site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::deflate redefined at C:/Games/Perl/sit
e/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::flush redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/
lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::_deflateParams redefined at C:/Games/P
erl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::get_Level redefined at C:/Games/Perl/s
ite/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::get_Strategy redefined at C:/Games/Per
l/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::DESTROY redefined at C:/Games/Perl/sit
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::dict_adler redefined at C:/Games/Perl/
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::total_in redefined at C:/Games/Perl/si
te/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::total_out redefined at C:/Games/Perl/s
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::deflateStream::msg redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/li
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::DispStream redefined at C:/Games/Perl/
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::__unc_inflate redefined at C:/Games/Pe
rl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::inflate redefined at C:/Games/Perl/sit
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::inflateSync redefined at C:/Games/Perl
/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::DESTROY redefined at C:/Games/Perl/sit
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::dict_adler redefined at C:/Games/Perl/
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::total_in redefined at C:/Games/Perl/si
te/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 94.
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::total_out redefined at C:/Games/Perl/s
Subroutine Compress::Zlib::inflateStream::msg redefined at C:/Games/Perl/site/li
CPAN: Archive::Tar loaded ok
IO-stringy-2.109/
IO-stringy-2.109/examples/
IO-stringy-2.109/examples/IO_Scalar_synopsis
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/icons/
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/icons/h1bullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/icons/zeegee.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/icons/itembullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/icons/h2bullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/icons/
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/icons/zeegee.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/icons/h2bullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/icons/h1bullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/icons/itembullet.gif
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/Lines.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/Stringy.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/WrapTie.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/InnerFile.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/Wrap.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/Scalar.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/AtomicFile.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO/ScalarArray.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/index-menu.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/IO_Scalar_synopsis.html
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/index.menu
IO-stringy-2.109/docs/index.html
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Stringy.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Scalar.pm.html
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/AtomicFile.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Scalar.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Lines.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/ScalarArray.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Wrap.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/InnerFile.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/WrapTie.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/t/
IO-stringy-2.109/t/two.t
IO-stringy-2.109/t/IO_ScalarArray.t
IO-stringy-2.109/t/simple.t
IO-stringy-2.109/t/ExtUtils/
IO-stringy-2.109/t/ExtUtils/TBone.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/t/IO_Scalar.t
IO-stringy-2.109/t/IO_Lines.t
IO-stringy-2.109/t/Common.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/t/IO_WrapTie.t
IO-stringy-2.109/COPYING
IO-stringy-2.109/contrib/
IO-stringy-2.109/contrib/Clever.pm
IO-stringy-2.109/MANIFEST
IO-stringy-2.109/README.system
IO-stringy-2.109/Makefile.PL
IO-stringy-2.109/README
Removing previously used \.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109

CPAN.pm: Going to build E/ER/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109.tar.gz

Looks good
-- OK
Running make test
test -- NOT OK
Running make install

cpan> exit
Terminal does not support GetHistory.
Lockfile removed.

C:\Games\Perl\bin>perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print "Installed"

C:\Games\Perl\bin>
Then I get this error when loading load5zones.bat:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I've made sure I don't have any other versions of perl on my machine (I had an older one and deleted it). I reinstalled IO::Scalar a few times to make sure that was not the problem (deleted the .cpan folder and started from scratch.

Could it be a problem with where I have the perl folder located? the .cpan folder is in C://.cpan and the perl folder is in C://games/perl.

Thanks for any help ahead of time...

infragoblin
07-14-2004, 07:56 AM
The problem most of us were having is the location of nmake

find the C:\Perl\lib\CPAN\CPAN.pm

# This is CPAN.pm's systemwide configuration file. This file provides
# defaults for users, and the values can be changed in a per-user
# configuration file. The user-config file is being looked for as
# ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm.

$CPAN::Config = {
'build_cache' => q[10],
'build_dir' => q[\.cpan\build],
'cache_metadata' => q[1],
'cpan_home' => q[\.cpan],
'ftp' => q[C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.EXE],
'ftp_proxy' => q[],
'getcwd' => q[cwd],
'gpg' => q[],
'gzip' => q[],
'histfile' => q[\.cpan\histfile],
'histsize' => q[100],
'http_proxy' => q[],
'inactivity_timeout' => q[0],
'index_expire' => q[1],
'inhibit_startup_message' => q[0],
'keep_source_where' => q[\.cpan\sources],
'lynx' => q[],
'make' => q[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin\nmake.EXE],
'make_arg' => q[],
'make_install_arg' => q[],
'makepl_arg' => q[],
'ncftp' => q[],
'ncftpget' => q[],
'no_proxy' => q[],
'pager' => q[C:\WINDOWS\system32\more.COM],
'prerequisites_policy' => q[ask],
'scan_cache' => q[atstart],
'shell' => q[],
'tar' => q[],
'term_is_latin' => q[1],
'unzip' => q[],
'urllist' => [],
'wget' => q[],
};
1;
__END__

notce the the line >>> 'make' => q[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin\nmake.EXE],

change this line to 'c:\perl\bin\nmake.exe' and make sure the 'nmake.exe' is there. of course if your perl path is not c:\perl, change it to your perl path.

this version of perl does not like the long name format (C:\program files\), so make sure, if your path does have long names, to use single quotes (').

this file is automatically created the first time you goto the CPAN shell , becuase it has an auto configure feature which you can use or not.

infragoblin
07-14-2004, 08:04 AM

D:\Perl\bin>install IO:Scalar

you have to type 'install IO::Scalar '

inside the cpan shell
the prompt should look like this

cpan>
cpan>install IO::Scalar

if you cannot get the cpan prompt try restarting, or uninstall and reinstall perl
oh and its IO::Scalar not IO:Scaler

Maldian
08-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Installing IO::Scalar
If you don't already have it, download nmake.exe (save with .exe extension). Copy it into your perl\bin directory. Then type the following in a DOS window:

Not the parenthesis.... save with the .exe extension! I worked on this and had the same errors over and over.... then slapped myself cause I forgot this one measely step. I was just right clicking on the link and saving as. Didn't realize the file was NOT an executable. Once I went back and saved as nmake.exe and ran the rest of the installation... IT WORKED! Go figure...

Anyways, leaving the helpful tip of READING carefully on the instructions. Don't assume anything....

Sk8ordiek2k1
08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Im having this same issue as well, I followed the guide exactly (yes i saved Nmake with .exe extension, yes i restarted after i installed perl .. ect) has anybody found a solution to this?

cofruben
08-11-2004, 10:14 AM
as I know,you only need IO::Scalar for plugins,you can run perl quests without it.Just dont compile deffining the scalar thing before.

Sk8ordiek2k1
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
i tried running it without the IO::Scalar installed and got this...

[Status] Fatal error initializing perl: failed to install plugin printhook, do you lack IO::Scalar?

is there a different version of perl i can install that wont force me to use IO::Scalar or can i turn it off or what?

Cisyouc
08-11-2004, 04:18 PM

you have to type 'install IO::Scalar '

inside the cpan shell
the prompt should look like this

cpan>
cpan>install IO::Scalar

if you cannot get the cpan prompt try restarting, or uninstall and reinstall perl
oh and its IO::Scalar not IO:Scaler

I had the same exact problem as

What the problem is, is MCPAN is CAPTIAL not lowercase. If its not capital you wont get the cpan> shell and the install command wont work.

Good luck.

hellfire99x
08-15-2004, 09:59 AM
What I wound up doing, was typing "install IO::Scalar", then letting it run through until it errored out saying that it couldn't find the file '@' (I guess @ was supposed to be used as an "echo off" character or something)... then in Windows Explorer, I went into this directory:

C:\.cpan\build\IO-stringy-2.109\lib\IO

I copied the following files:

Scalar.pm
Scalar.pm.html
ScalarArray.pm
WrapTie.pm

Into the following directory:

C:\Perl\lib\IO

Kind of a roundabout way of doing it, but I verified that it worked by typing in the following command at a DOS prompt:

If it prints out the word "Installed" after you input that command, then IO::Scalar is installed.

Also note that you may have to go back into Perl (perl -MCPAN -e shell) and type in 'reload index' (minus the quotes) in order for it to recognize the copied files. That's an extra step that I took before testing it... I'm not sure if it's 100% necessary to get it to recognize Scalar, but, I don't really feel like messing around with Perl anymore to try to find out.

Now I just need to find that missing plugin.pl file...