PDA

View Full Version : A complete Linux Guide Needed

Beretta
04-04-2004, 04:20 PM
I have been browsing the forums for about 8-9 hours and have only found old guides that arent very helpful, yet I have also found only bits and pieces of different tips and tricks. I am asking that a skilled linux participant create a complete noob guide to installing a server on Linux.

I am running Fedora Core 1, which ive been told is Red Hat 9.2 but im not sure.

I would love to host a dedicated server, have nothing but time to make accurate databases, creating new and diverse items, etc. but . . . i am having the hardest problem running this under linux. I have gotten a server to work under Windows XP . . that was uber easy thanks to the step by step noobs guide. However, as many of you know, windows takes up BOATLOADS more memory just to stay running, then linux usually ever needs, hence the linux server would run faster, creating better gameplay for all.

I hope no-one gets aggrevated by this post, but i do feel this is needed.

Thank you for your time

Beretta

smogo
04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
this is not an attempt to write such guide at once, just a few hints :

- getting the thing run under linux isn't much more complicated than under win
- if you got it running under win, you've been through most trouble that can happen on any system, so 90% work will be piece of cake for you

Now, the steps...

you need same services available as win :
- mysql database (can be hosted on a remote win or nix machine, for a start, if you don't want to fiddle with this for now)
- perl installed if to use the perl quest variant. This can be done through your distro menus. After that you have to install IO::Scalar, just like in windoze
- minilogin to run LAN. It can be run in linux, using wine, but still you may think this is a bit complexity for a start, so i recommend running it on a seperate win box, or use public EQEMu login servers

Basically, you'll have a root directory, with same files as the win version :
- LoginServer.ini, db.ini, cfg directory, quests directory, ...
If any missing or wrong file, you'll get the same errors as under win

i suggest creating a user for running the server (eqemu for example), and putting everything related to EQEMu in a sub-directory. With defult permissions for that user (i.e. not a root or admin privilege), you're guaranteed not to break anything important.

now, the new (and possibly difficult part) :
- no distribution of binary files ; you'll have to compile your source.
- networking isn't so 'default will go' as windows. But there's really not much to do unless you have special configuration (multiple hosts, subnets and NAT, for example). Your linux distro should provide convenient menus for a working, basic, network setup.

Compiling
use gcc (versions supported is 3.2 and upper iirc). If unsure, install most things. Basically, using latest source, type 'make' or 'make -f makefile' in each source directory (zone, world, EMuShareMem). You also need to 'g++ cleanipc.cpp -o cleanipc' to get cleanipc executable. The executable files you will get are 'zone', 'world', and 'libEmuShareMem.so'. just move them to the root directory for eqemu. That's it.

Everything else should be like windows (but faster and smoother :)). You 'll have to start world, then zones. For a start, type in 'world', or './world', from the root directory, it'll get you started. You also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or else zone will fail. This has been detailed in another post you can search for.

i hope this helps.

Happy Penguins Unite !

Beretta
04-05-2004, 08:20 AM
It helped somewhat, BUT i dont know the commands to do all of that. I tried doing it all in x Windows but im still finding problems left and right. It isnt as "easy" as you say it is. I am asking for a detailed guide on setting this up straight from scratch, just installed os, want to get this up and running. That's the guide I want, not one that says do this, but doesnt tell you how to do it

It's useless to program something, if you don't know how to program it. . . Same thing, useless to try to get this started unless it's known how to do it.

People do have linux, not everyone knows how to use it though. As i said in my last post, Linux would run servers much better, less lag, improved game play . .. But alot of us do not know how to do this stuff.

var1ety
04-05-2004, 12:26 PM
get mysql installed, get perl + io::scalar installed, and get networking working, and then the guides in the tutorials section and forums are directly applicable. However, there are a lot of existing tutorials/guides to setting up the components eqemu needs to run (working linux installation, mysql, perl) elsewhere - every linux distribution is going to have a different way of doing it, so a little leg work is necessary. Go to google =0

Beretta
04-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Bah . . . sent to google again to solve another problem . . . . *sigh* lol. I understand most versions of linux differ in their own ways, but that doesnt mean there cant be a list of commands and instructions that are basic and apply for various ones, hence why i asked for a skilled linux user to write one up.

Beretta
04-06-2004, 09:39 AM
I actually got the makefiles to make my files! I got the binaries compiled, just gotta find the ini files and such then put them in. Just curious though. I do not have wine . . is that going to be a problem?

vetoeq
04-06-2004, 10:04 AM
I don't think you need WINE unless you are going to try to run minilogin under Linux.

Beretta
04-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Ok, i went into NewSource, opened world up, opened it with terminal (using x-windows), typed make, gave me some warnings, but from what i saw with my minute programming experience no errors, the compile as far as i know worked. So i did the same with Zone, got my Zone file, same with emusharmem, got libemusharemem.so, so the compiles worked. But I am failing to locate the ini files. What i've figured is to just use the ini files from the windows build. Those seem to be needed either way. And as for starting world, In the post above this one (when this was bumped) theres Trumps "guide" so to speak. On it someone posts some bits of code that seem to be the launcher of world and zone? Is that what i need to do?

smogo
04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Basically, you'll have a root directory, with same files as the win version :
- LoginServer.ini, db.ini, cfg directory, quests directory, ...
If any missing or wrong file, you'll get the same errors as under win

Everything else should be like windows (but faster and smoother ). You 'll have to start world, then zones. For a start, type in 'world', or './world', from the root directory, it'll get you started. You also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or else zone will fail. This has been detailed in another post you can search for.

This should get you started. once you've got some results, use Trump's script, and adjust it to your needs