PDA

View Full Version : The Big LAN Book?

Baron Sprite
04-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Note: The release of 0.3.5 may prevent the ability for you to host a LAN server using the MINILOGIN.

Oh, and to save shawn some trouble:
USING A LAN IS IN NO WAY SUPPORTED BY THE EQEMU DEVELOPMENT TEAM. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Section 1: Getting EQEMU Up and Running Over a LAN.

Part 1) Prepare your computers. (Skip to part 2 if your LAN is running and connected)
a) Make sure all your LAN cables and NICS are secure and connected to either a HUB or Router.
b) At this point you will set up your network. In windows XP go to start/accesories/communications/network setup wizard and proceed from there. If you are using something else, search the net I'm not gonnna type it all out :D
c) Restart all computers on the network.
d) You should know your IP Addresses from step b, if not go to start/run/winipcfg, or if in XP, start/network connections/right click on Local Area Connection, select status.
e) Ping each computer to ensure your connection is running and communicating.

General LAN Notes & Examples:
FIGURE A) Example ROUTER IP setup.
Example LAN setup of 3 computers.
"computer1" will be the HOST (running eqemu), and has an IP of 192.168.0.5
"computer2" will be a CLIENT (running everquest), and has an IP of 192.168.0.4
"computer3" will be a CLIENT (running everquest), and has an IP of 192.168.0.3
The ROUTER is IP 192.168.0.1

NOTE ABOUT INTERNET VS LAN IP: Your INTERNET IP is different then your ROUTER IP! It will NOT have a 192 in the beginning! It will look something like: 75.139.50.5
To get your INTERNET IP go to http://whatismyip.com/
To get you computer's LAN IP open a command prompt type: ipconfig

Part 2) Preparing your MYSQL.
a) I am assuming you already have MySQL installed and running - if not - read a2 ;), so go ahead and open up mysql.exe
a2) Taken from readme.txt:
Download and install mySQL from http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html
Copy db.sql from your EQEmu folder to the mySQL bin directory (default is C:\mysql\bin).
In your mySQL bin directory, run Winmysqladmin.exe. It should ask you to enter a username and password. Choose a username and password that you can remember because you will need it in Part 4. Do not give the password out to anyone for any reason because with this, anyone can log into your mySQL database and change your data.
**NOTE: If it doesnt not ask you to enter a username/password or you wish to change it, delete the file c:\windows\my.ini and re-run Winmysqladmin.exe.
After you have chosen a username and password go to the Database tab in WinmySQLAdmin and right click the area for Databases and click Create Database.
Type in "eq" as the database name (without the quotes) and click Create database.
Goto the Environment tab and click "Hide Me". This minimizes Winmysqladmin.
**NOTE: Some people are able to completely close Winmysqladmin.exe and still be able to play,
But some people are not. If you get access denied errors then make sure Winmysqladmin.exe is running.
b) Grant your LAN IP (the HOST'S) address access to your EQ Database.
b2) Example of GRANT command.
GRANT ALL ON *.* to computername@192.168.0.lastdigitoflanip IDENTIFIED BY 'yourpassword';
b3) Example WILDCARD setup for MYSQL GRANT (SUGGESTED ANYWAYS):
GRANT ALL ON *.* to '%'@'192.168.%' IDENTIFIED BY '%';
b4) Getting your computer name:
Start/Control Pannel/System/Computer Name
c) If your LAN IP is not static (DHCP - usally if you are sharing connection using a router) make that last digit a wildcard.
d) Create and source your database.
d2) Taken from readme.txt:
Run mysql.exe in your mySQL/bin directory.
Type "use eq" without the quotes and hit enter. It should say Database changed.
Type "source db.sql" without the quotes and hit enter. A bunch of lines should pass by (that is normal). If you get an error at this point then you didn?t copy db.sql into the mySQL/bin folder.
e) Close MYSQL.exe.

Part 3) Getting Your EMU Host Ready.
a) Open up db.ini and change the HOST in there to your LAN IP address, save and exit.
a2) Example db.ini:
[Database]
host=192.168.0.5
user=yourusername
password=yourpassword
database=eq
b) Open up loginserver.ini and change the addresses to your LAN IP address.
b2) Example loginserver.ini:
[LoginServer]
loginserver=192.168.0.5
worldname=My wonderful world
locked=false
worldaddress=192.168.0.5
account=eqemu
password=eqemu
loginport=5999
c) Open up Boot5zones.bat or whatever you use to get 'em up (I use 3 zones at a time)and change the ip addresses to your LAN IP address.
c2) If you have a firewall/router, make sure the PORTS for your zones are OPENED UP!
c3) If your LAN IP addresses are NOT STATIC then you will have to change that last digit of your LAN IP address everytime you reboot!
d) Make sure the port for your MINILOGIN or PUBLICLOGIN is OPEN on your ROUTER/FIREWALL.
e) Save and exit anything that you haven't already.
f) ROUTER NOTES: The LAN IP address would be what your HOST computer has in your LAN, see FIGURE A at the top for more information.

Part 4) Test it.
a) Good Luck! Open up MINILOGIN or PUBLICLOGIN and see if it says that it is listening to your LAN IP and OPEN PORT.
if a: b) Open up WORLD and see if it connects to MINILOGIN or PUBLICLOGIN and see if it is listening.
if b: c) Open up BOOT5ZONES.bat or whatever you use and see if they connect to WORLD and that they are listening.
if c: d) Look at WORLD and check for zone servers on your LAN IP and PORTS.
if d: e) Check for any SQL connection errors.

Part 5) Connect the Clients!
a) On a client computer, open up eqhost.txt in your everquest directory.
b) Change the login and registration servers to the HOST computer's LAN IP address, and the PORT that you opened for MINILOGIN.
EXAMPLE:
[Registration Servers]
{
"192.168.0.5:5999"
}
[Login Servers]
{
"192.168.0.5:5999"
}
b2) If your LAN IP addresses are NOT STATIC on the HOST then you will have to change that last digit of the HOST'S LAN IP address everytime the HOST reboots!
c) Launch EQW or do EQGAME.EXE PATCHME.
d) Connect using either the PUBLICLOGIN name and password, or EQEMU // EQEMU for MINILOGIN.
if d: e) Select server and click Play Everquest.
f) You should now load to the character select screen, create and character and enter world.
if f: g) Check on HOST computer for connection from CLIENT in WORLD and check ZONE too.
if g: h) If the CLIENT loads sucessfully, rinse and repeat for the rest of the network.
Part 5 Section B) Using MINILOGIN
a) If you are using minilogin, all CLIENTS login using EQEMU as account name and EQEMU and account password. DO NOT SELECT THE SAME CHARACTER TO LOGIN WITH.
b) Should support up to 8 CLIENTS.

Section 2: Troubleshooting.

Part 1) Troubles with Routers/Firewalls
a) Set your server up using a name instead of ip number from one of the dynamic domain name resolving services. Like http://www.dyndns.org/ Many are free.
b) Setup your ROUTER to "port foward" sometimes known as "virtual server" port 5999 and ports 7990-7995 to your servers LAN IP (run ipconfig by going to the Start Menu, clicking Run, and typing in ipconfig in the window that pops up; to get LAN IP) Internet users should now be able to log in. And for some users even the LAN clients can log in correctly.
c) If LAN clients can't log in, edit your host file for the clients on your network and set the domain name from #1 to resolve to LAN IP of the server.

Thanks alot Lurker and meliudaj!

meliudaj
04-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Suggestion. This part will confuse pepole. Reword like talking to a child. (only partially jokeing):

b) Grant your LAN IP address access to your EQ Database. IE: GRANT ALL ON *.* to computername@192.168.0.lastdigitoflanip IDENTIFIED BY 'yourpassword';

Also change computer name to be localhost, or 127.0.0.1. As I'm guessing your really don't wana go down the road of.. But I name my puter Bob.. Because It has a sticker on it that says Bob!! Why is that wrong?

Next:
d) Create and source your database.

Its simple to you... its simple to me.. but at one point I didn't know how to do this either. Step it out full commands if you wana be thorough.

Next:
a) Open up db.ini and change the address in there to your LAN IP address, save and exit.

But nothing in here says address? Whats this address you speak of? Can never be too specific in wrighting a step by step.

Open up /emu/db.ini. Change to ready
host=127.bla.bla
ect...
ect...
ect...

Oh crap.. I'm just too tired to continue... just throwing my ideas at you... Simply put.. good doc! But giving the reader too much credit... At the level you are generalizing some stuff.. the person reading it, AND knowing what you ment... Doesn't need the doc.

Baron Sprite
04-26-2002, 11:42 PM
about to goto sleep, but I was typing up a draft, hoping people like you would point it out and make it idiotable :) thanks for feedback.

btw you have you grant it to computer name :( least for me...

Lurker_005
04-27-2002, 02:02 AM
I just used:

GRANT ALL ON *.* to '%'@192.168.'%' IDENTIFIED BY '%';

That as is should work for almost everyone. It isn't real sucure, but for anyone running a home server it should do.

If someone is running other things on their mysql (like at work) they should know what they are doing without reading this, and set higher security.

Lurker_005
04-27-2002, 02:11 AM
Also describe a sample lan setup better, and use that in the rest of the doc.

Example Lan setup of 3 computers.
"computer1" will be the server (running eqemu), and has an IP of 192.168.0.5
"computer2" will be a client (running everquest), and has an IP of 192.168.0.4
"computer3" will be a client (running everquest), and has an IP of 192.168.0.3
The router is IP 192.168.0.1

All config files use the ip's from the above example. Change ALL 192.168.x.x numbers to match your actual lan setup!

Baron Sprite
04-27-2002, 09:31 AM
thanks lurker! :D

thanks for sticky too, misc_admin ;)

Global_Inferno
04-28-2002, 05:34 AM
I am having problems granting I.P. access to the db.sq i type in mysql.exe this line:

GRANT ALL ON *.* to '%'@192.168.'%' IDENTIFIED BY '%';

and it says:

Error 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ''%' IDENTIFIED BY '%'' at line 1

Anyone want to give me a hand?? Is the the '%' what goes instead of them?? or do they stay!??

Lurker_005
04-28-2002, 06:36 AM
my mistake try
GRANT ALL ON *.* to '%'@'192.168.%' IDENTIFIED BY '%';

'192.168.%' instead of 192.168.'%'

Global_Inferno
04-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Cheers.... it was so hard to see the typo error!! THNX!

Karjan
04-28-2002, 02:06 PM
I use the emu over my home network alot. One thing I found while trying to get it to work..
You really need a dedicated computer to run the server..
If you try and run EQ on the server machine. I found that everyone would get
kicked out at random. While if the server machine did not run Eq there would be no problems.

Not sure if this is just my network or not. but might help some people if they get the same problem. =)

Baron Sprite
04-28-2002, 03:24 PM
Haven't had that problem on 3 networks. Are you running a hub?

Karjan
04-28-2002, 10:27 PM
We are using a hub, tho I'm not sure why that would have any effect.. /shrug =)

Hmm
04-29-2002, 07:56 AM
we dont have that problem either. we isnt using hub but router.

Baron Sprite
04-29-2002, 08:39 AM
some hubs can cause problems, mostly older ones.

Karjan
04-29-2002, 01:54 PM
hehe Ahh well.. It might help, IF someone has that problem ;) lol

Baron Sprite
04-29-2002, 03:23 PM
I think it has to do with packet routing... :D

Bently
05-01-2002, 07:01 PM
I never got a sticky :/

Hubs dont packet route BS. Thats the thing heh. They just spam it out to everyone, and who ever its for picks it up, the rest ignore it. Hehehe, reminds me of something that happened to me not long ago...

Was at a LAN party, someone had set their Ethernet card to force 100mbit when the hub was only a lowly 10mbit. Major data collisions and the hub practically killed itself and blinded us with its flashing lights hehehe...

Switches and routers send the packets directly to the person whom its for. In order of Uberness:

Router-->Switch-->Hub

Baron Sprite
05-01-2002, 07:56 PM
right, has to do with packet routing.

fortgeorge
05-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Nice guide, worked for me. Didn't take much time at all. Considering how much it would have taken without your guide. :)

Mauritius
05-05-2002, 10:15 PM
i got the followin LAN problem on my EQ Server (WINDOWS XP).

When I start World.exe, it says:
LoginServer.ini read.
Failed to connect to database: Error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'IP ADDRESS OF THE EQ SERVER' (10065)

I followed the steps in your LAN Book exactly.

I noticed that in Winmysqladmin -> local IP Address there is my machine name and 127.0.0.1, but not the LAN IP Address of my EQ Server.

May it has nothing to do with EQEMU, but ...
Any suggestions how to correct it?

Karjan
05-05-2002, 11:31 PM
You might want to try having 127.0.0.1 as the host in your db.ini file.

Mauritius
05-06-2002, 07:35 PM
I got a LAN with 4 PC's, all connected through a HUB.
For test purposes, I installed 1 machine with Win98, 1 with WinME, 1 with WinXP, 1 with Win2000. All PCs have EQ, mysql and EQEMU installed and properly configured for LAN play. So, I just need to edit the eqhosts to select the host machine i want to test.

It seems that MYSQL on Windows XP / ME / 2000, if booted as FIRST PC of a LAN (connected thru a HUB) accepts connections only thru 127.0.0.1. MYSQL on Windows 98 always uses the correct IP Address, even if it is unplugged from the network.

A router sould give less problems than a hub.

Chaos
05-06-2002, 10:22 PM
I had no problem getting it runing on my lan

But now i want to set it up so people from the net and on my lan can play at the same time

Is this possable? I setup a server and i was unable to log on from my other pc but my friends were able to log on(fromt he net) and i was able to log on on the same pc that the emu was runing on

Aniel
05-27-2002, 07:29 AM
Well, I'm having a problem. When i open up world.exe after i opened publiclogin and it was listening, I got this error: Loginserver responded with fatalerror. Disabling reconnect. Error message: bad password. Where could I have gone wrong? Thanks

Lurker_005
05-27-2002, 07:50 AM
Aniel,
From the VERY minimal information you gave, I would guess you didn't follow the loginreadme.txt

With more information I may be able to narrow it down...

Aniel
05-27-2002, 07:54 AM
wow, actually, you were right. Right after i posted, i saw that, "doh". Went through it all, should work fine, haven't booted up eq. How do you flag your account to be the server op?

Baron Sprite
05-27-2002, 09:33 AM
That's in the readme:

[quote]Si vous voulez marquer le compte d'eqemu, cliquetez le d

Lurker_005
06-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Figured this was a good post to put this in...

To get your "internet IP" go to http://whatismyip.com/
To get you computers "lan IP" open a command prompt and run ipconfig

If these numbers don't match, you are using a router, and will need know how to configure it if you want to run a server.

Lurker_005
06-15-2002, 11:38 AM
If trying to host a server behind a firewall/router:

1) Set your server up using a name instead of ip number from one of the dynamic domain name resolving services. Like http://www.dyndns.org/ Many are free.

2) Setup your router to "port foward" sometimes known as "virtual server" port 5999 and ports 7990-7995 to your servers Lan ip (run ipconfig to get lan ip) Internet users should now be able to log in. And for some users even the lan clients can log in correctly.

3) If lan clients can't log in, edit your host file for the clients on your network and set the domain name from #1 to resolve to Lan IP of the server.

Inkubus posted a more detailed explination here (http://eqemu.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2541) He used the linux bootzones commands (linux thread), so careful there, but otherwise it looked os independant. :)

Baron Sprite
06-15-2002, 12:27 PM
muchas gracias

donfi
07-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Several posts up...

Routers do packet routing. they may even sub in there own mac address when connecting networks. In technical terms they parse iso layer 3 information.

Switchs track/remember down which port a MAC address is located so as to cut down on traffic going out the wrong port. In technical terms they maintain a iso layer 2 information table.

Hubs act as multiport repeaters. Whatever comes in on any port is amplified and sent down all other ports. Very noise on a network. In technical terms this and a repeater are iso layer 1 devices.

Repeaters (almost never used anymore) amplify the signal coming in one port and send it out the other. (note it has only two ports.)

Craven Morehead
07-24-2002, 12:18 PM
I have Windows XP, i'm running a linksys router with the pc's behind it. I get this error when I start the boot5zones.bat.

WorldServer connect: Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10061
InitWorldServer failed

I changed my lan ip(192.168.1.7) to 127.0.0.1 in every spot that was suggested earlier. Trying to do it lan cause my friend and my brother can't play if I host it on the net. Any help would be appriciated. Oh and ports 5999, 7990-7995 are open.

Dwarf
12-10-2002, 02:00 PM
i would help but i dont know how myine is doen what is is... it dusnt give me an error for 5zones but it gives me the stuped Please tell Micrsoft about this problum error reporting even thow thow the windos ran fine and then when its done reporting error it closes the 5zones windows :(

for the post above it sounds like you posted that right outove the Cisco cerikulum lol i dont have my CCNA yet but almost! i like the way you can change encapulation types for routers... i also IGRP is nice but RIP is used much more.... good luck with the server i know ill need it u might to

lucan
01-19-2003, 10:37 PM
is there a multi user login for lan use?

IAL05T50UL
08-11-2003, 08:47 PM
What goes wrong when you get this message in world.exe?

Unknown opcode: 0x6912 size:132
0: 78 5E 4B 2D 4C CD 2D 65 - 48 05 93 20 70 F9 F8 9F | x^K-L.-eH.. p...
16: 72 67 06 86 03 60 0E 0E - 10 F1 57 88 41 81 41 89 | rg...`....W.A.A.
32: E1 82 A2 32 43 04 43 48 - 8D 72 E8 CF 72 99 DF 42 | ...2C.CH.r..r..B
48: 60 D5 B1 6B FC 6B BE FC - 12 62 58 F0 03 C2 67 78 | `..k.k...bX...gx
64: F3 B7 9E 09 CC 50 66 70 - 05 D3 5C 0C 1E 32 3F CB | .....Pfp..\..2?.
80: 15 80 2C 46 A8 F9 20 3B - 45 80 FA 41 F6 7A 5D F8 | ..,F.. ;E..A.z].
96: 01 B6 7F 0A 90 CF BB C7 - AF 06 A4 0E 24 DF 73 C5 | ............$.s.
112: BF 06 24 9E 00 B4 1B 84 - 23 FE 42 34 1F 07 62 00 | ..$.....#.B4..b.
128: FB BF 30 D6 | ..0.
Client disconnected

IAL05T50UL
08-11-2003, 08:48 PM
i forgot to mention thats what i get when i try to log my character in.

DerekTG86
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
yeah I have the same problem with the unknown opcode: 0x6912 size 132

anyone help?

Merth
08-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Please use the support forums to get support - you won't find much support here.

You will also need to provide more information about what you are doing, what steps you have taken, *why* you decided to take the steps you did, and what you are trying to accomplish. Explaining the why you are doing what you are doing is important, as that prompts us to update old information.