PDA

View Full Version : Leveling past 65?

jimbox114
08-15-2004, 08:19 AM
I have noticed several servers allow you to level past 65. I have searched through the forums, and browsed though the tables in mysql front/eqadmin and have see nothing that would allow this to be changed. What is required to allow players to earn exp and level past level 65??

Derision
08-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I have noticed several servers allow you to level past 65. I have searched through the forums, and browsed though the tables in mysql front/eqadmin and have see nothing that would allow this to be changed. What is required to allow players to earn exp and level past level 65??

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14095&highlight=level

jimbox114
08-15-2004, 08:45 AM
ehh thats no good. Was hoping it would be as simple as chaging something from a number to another :/.

Melwin
08-15-2004, 09:21 AM
ehh thats no good. Was hoping it would be as simple as chaging something from a number to another :/.

...it is.

Open up /zone/client.cpp and search for
void Client::SetEXP

Then look for
int8 maxlevel = 66;
from there, and change it, then compile.

jimbox114
08-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Its the compile part that Im not sure of myself on. I have no compiler and don't want to have to go through the trouble of making another e-mail address to try that free trial again. The actually compileing don't look too bad, its trying to compile it with perl that seems ruff.

Windcatcher
08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Something like that should probably go into the variables table...

WC

killspree
08-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Agreed.

animepimp
08-15-2004, 01:35 PM
The problem with putting it in the variables table is that if you make it too high then a lot more code needs to be changed as well. I helped scorp go through this when he changed max level to 130. Once you hit 105 or so without doing any other code changes you will go back to level 1 because the xp variable is not big enough to store that much xp so the xp formulas had to be completely rewritten. And we would probably run into the same problem again at some point before 255.

govtcheeze
08-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I remember reading your post about it...used a scaler or something similar right?

If so, when eqemu reads the value from the table, what if it did a mod 105 to find out how many times over it needs to be scaled?

The code scorp added would obviously need to be put into cvs for this to happen, or at the very least posted in the dev forum.

bushman77
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
So to allow leveling past 65 u have to change the hard coded info in the client. But what if u wanted to restrict the levels so u cannot level past 65?? Could this be done in just the database?

animepimp
11-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Neither of those can be done in the client or in the DB. You have to change the code in the server.

Elkay
11-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Should probably at least make this 70 by default since that's what EQLive is at right now.

sotonin
11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I dunno. most servers i would say want a pre-fucked up expansions experience. increasing it to 70 could very well cheapen the difficulty of the other expansions. Considering how there no collected info about the new expansions and probably wont be for a very long time, the odds of a populated oow server. (without made up spawns) are slim. i vote keep it 65.

Elrach
11-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Opening up expansions has another side effect that's very important. More simultaneous open zones = more hardware requirements. If you keep the number of zones limited, you limit how spread over the world the players can be.

Elkay
11-11-2004, 08:11 AM
I haven't even begun to dent my system resources hehe. I actually made a batch file that opened every single zone in EQ, including OOW, all static. Took about 5 minutes for them all to connect up but it did work and I had plenty of ram left hehe. The zones weren't empty either, last I checked I had 191 populated zones. I'm actually quite impressed how optimized things are, especially in the memory usage department.

WildcardX
11-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Elkay,

What are the stats for your server as far as memory and CPU? I am running a Pentium 3 with 512MB RAM for my server at the moment but I am only running 5 zones at a time. So far, performance is great so I was thinking of opening up more.