PDA

View Full Version : Does this still hold true????

meliudaj
04-27-2002, 05:33 PM
I just Re-came accross this.. wanted to ask/check to see if all the Spawn builders where following these rules (http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=9548&group_id=46446) still? Or ever for that matter?

Ariak
04-28-2002, 01:49 AM
Not true, simple as that.

Shawn319
04-28-2002, 03:46 AM
Not yet i dont think. but we're hoping to get all the world builders working together and maby use some kind of standard like this.

Jay
04-28-2002, 04:04 AM
I organize my database in a per zone structure, but not with such ids. I create a "null" NPC with the name IE: ---- West Freeport NPC Data ----". Just a personal touch that helps me better organize my npc_types and spawns. I also organize spawn tables by name, rather than spawnxxxx format. Just personal preferrences.

I do agree that we database builders need to get togther and collaberate our work. Personally I've been using Trumpcards spawnlogs and when I need to I jump onto live for merchant data and the weapon textures for NPCs. I also use the information from www.eqcaster.com for the zone quest data. I think everyone who is working on a database needs to set up a changelog file and undertake tasks to fill the zones properly. But on the opposite note most of us design and organize our databases differently, as per my pervious statement, and it would be difficult to create a general guide we would be comfortable in sticking to.

All in all, if either Drawde, Ariak, or Lurker what me to work on a zone for them I'd be more than happy to convert my orgainzation system over, since I have been working from an originally blank database. I've been trying to make my database as close to live as one currently can with the tools available, but with some slight modifications and Lord of the Rings easter eggs scattered about Norrath.

Just let me know what you need and if I am capable of doing it I shall gladly offer my assistance. And a special thanks to Trumpcard for being kind enough to gather SEQ logs for we builders. :)

Trumpcard
04-28-2002, 04:29 AM
Looking forward to the quests for Orcrist and Glamdring!

Or can we expect to have to raid an Orc or Goblin stronghold for these?

Glad to help on the seq logs..

Jay
04-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Orcist will be found near the base of what shall become the Lonely Mountain. It shall be a quest. Glamdring I am still deciding on how to handle it. I considered it being a drop off of the Balrog or a quest. Sting shall be a mystery, but having a sword graphic (warrior epic) that has a nice blue fire around it is the perfect touch. I will say that Sting shall only be able to be equiped by halflings. :P

Expect to see palantirs, the great rings, my own elven blades, and such incorporated into the Norrath you know now. Some zones shall be converted into Middle Earth zones. Some that I will disclose are Hobbiton/Rivervale, Rivendell/Highpass, The Last Homely House/Highkeep, and Cirith Unghul/Mistmoore Castle.

And yes...Sauron, Saruman, and my personal fav, Gollum ARE in the game, both as spawns and for special GM events the spawns shall be removed an a GM will control the characters. Expect the first big event when the server is finally completed, long time from now, to be The Last Alliance of Elves and Men.

Currently the One Ring is an item handed out by a GM and shall fit into the Tolkien storyline. Yes it has great positive effects, and yes it has great negative effects, especially when worn over time. :)

If I could only get horses to work I could create the nine....

Oh, and I hope to, depending on how well I can interpret Sindarin and Qenya Elvish, add TRUE Elvish Dialog here and there, as well as the many songs and poems documented in everything from the Simarillian to Return of the King.

Any Tolkien fans out there that wants to help, let me know. Until then, "May your eryes recieve you on the journey's end."

Drawde
04-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Sounds really good, Jay. I'm a Tolkein fan as well, I was also thinking of adding the LotR characters as "easter eggs" to my DB but decided not to in the end!
I'm working on a 3D RPG set in Middle Earth (written in C++ using my own very poor software 3D engine!) however I've done very little work on it lately due to the EQEmu DB.
It will be a non-linear single-player RPG (like Daggerfall), multiplayer would be nice (as well as SP, not instead of) but my netcode programming skills are nonexistent.

Jay
04-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Heh, I too am working on a RPG. Though I am learning c++ for the first time after two years of VB and some Cobal. It is a personal project I have been developing for almost two years now, establishing a deep lore and history than spans over 5000 years in great detail. It was originally concieved as a book and has evolved into a Squaresoft style game. It is a fantasy story and, like Tolkien, I have spent all this time developing lore, culture, races, and more in grand detail; I believe one must develop the layout of everything in his world in order to set the stories there. I am also an Indie filmmaker and I plan on doing it as an epic, but I do not want to sacrafice quality due to a small budget so the movie is temporarily on hold.

I most likely will be doing the game, which is the first two books of my series, as a 2D platform. I am VERY educated and talented in 3D modeling and animation on both a 3DMax and Lightwave application, but again I am still learning C++ and I don't want to lose quality. Glad to see I'm not alone Drawde. :)