PDA

View Full Version : Aggro and factional assistance in 5.8

cavedude
09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Hello,
I dunno if they are bugs are just a problem in my own database, but aggro and assistance both don't work for me on 0.5.8. They both worked great on 0.5.7 and this is the same database I was using, with all the proper changes for 5.8 sourced in. I am not using a GM account, and I can sit down right in front of red scowling mobs and they don't even flinch.
Is anybody else having a problem with either of these? If not, have you made any changes to your faction based columns/tables in your 0.5.8 DB? I am dying to play with the new LOS code, but I can't since no mobs are assisting ;) Thanks.

Branks
09-14-2004, 11:48 AM
i noticed this also but didnt think anything of it, just a FYI theres a #los command that should check los, but im sure youll see that almost nothing has it, so this isnt faction related its something with the new los system thats a lil off and/or the los command is broken.
make a map file for the new system to use and see if that helps any? i'll try in a moment and let you know if i get any different results.

cavedude
09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
You were right on about the maps. Right after I wrote the post, I had that thought and converted a couple of maps. Sure enough aggro and assistance worked perfectly in those zones. I guess if no new map is found, all NPC aggro of any sort except combat is off by default in the zones. Thanks for the reply :)

Branks
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
nice to know but i believe its more of an issue of the LOS code returning false if a map doesnt exsist, meaning that agro and factions still work perfectly however the mob doesnt know they can see you so they dont attack, so someone that knows more of the los system will just have to make a check if the map was loaded and if not make los return true, as it used to when no map exsists.

cavedude
09-14-2004, 01:18 PM
I definately see your point. That's about what I meant but you just said it far better than I :) Other than this tiny oversight, I think the LOS system works amazingly well. For now, I'll just convert maps for all the zones.

Malignus Wingnut
09-14-2004, 02:52 PM
And how exactly do you go about creating maps for zones?

Cisyouc
09-14-2004, 03:39 PM
And how exactly do you go about creating maps for zones?I believe the converter is for Linux only.

fathernitwit
09-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Yea,
this was prolly a poor descision on my part, but I was of the oppinion that it is better to have no aggro than 100 mobs flowing through the walls in every direction. That is my personaly preference.

Anyways, as pointed out above, you could easily change the LOS function to return true instead of false if the map isnt loaded.

As of now, I have added this as a #define option in my local source tree, which should get merged within a few weeks. So that should help some.

cavedude
09-15-2004, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't say it was a poor decision, don't beat yourself up. I think in this case its a matter of preference. I play almost exclusively druids, so I prefer the big open zones that don't benefit from LOS much. Small indoor dungeons give me the willies. Plus, a good amount of Emu users are on Winblows, and can't/don't want to try a real OS! :)
However, I am sure there are many other server ops who share your opinion and would like LOS to return false when no maps are loaded to prevent from getting 50 mob pile ups in dungeons. How about this, it may be more work but what if you impliment both? Maybe you can set it up as a variable in the database. Simply, LOS true or false. Just an idea.

Cutter
10-13-2004, 03:50 PM
This still hasnt been fixed in version 5.9Dr2.. is there a way to convert the map files when not using Linux??

Muuss
10-13-2004, 09:21 PM
This would perhaps also avoid to see Lady Vox attacked by all the Permafrost mobs when you engage her... don't ask me why it happens, tho. :lol:

sotonin
10-14-2004, 01:41 AM
Cause of the way the code is. Fixed in 5.8-WR =)

Edgar1898
10-14-2004, 01:43 AM
This still hasnt been fixed in version 5.9Dr2..

It doesnt need to be fixed. As FNW said, its working as intended....

About converting maps, you dont need to - just search for a post by Rogean that gives the link to his website where you can download them.

bushman77
11-21-2004, 10:47 AM
couldn't the aggro radious be broght down to 5 instead of 50 in a more confined area instead. I've done that on earlier server versions and it worked great.

bushman77
11-21-2004, 10:55 AM
couldn't the aggro radious be broght down to 5 instead of 50 in a more confined area instead. I've done that on earlier server versions and it worked great.