PDA

View Full Version : Read this post BEFORE you ask for help!

Baron Sprite
04-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Before asking for help, make sure you have read the readme.html (http://eqemu.sourceforge.net/shawn319/documents/readme.html), read through the Sticky topics, and read any topics you see that are related to your problem. If you still can not find the answer, and you have no other choice but to post for help (read below).

Before you post with installation problems, let us know the section from the readme that deals with your problem and doesn't explain it.

If you are wondering about why the world is empty or how to get the MOBS to be in the zones, please refer to this forum: http://forums.eqemu.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19

Below is a quote from Lurker's totally awesome post. (http://forums.eqemu.net/viewtopic.php?t=2198) :

Everyone should read the current readme.html (http://eqemu.sourceforge.net/shawn319/documents/readme.html) and the FAQ (http://eqemu.sourceforge.net/shawn319/documents/faq.html)

People just wishing to play on other people's server only need to download eqhost.txt (http://www.eqemu.net/eqhost.txt) and then make a forum name and password at http://forums.eqemu.net/register (unless you already have one). This account will act as your forum name (to post messages on any of the forums), and to log into the EQEmu.net Loginserver.

Note: EQEmu is a command line server. That means it requires a little skill and knowledge to setup and run.

Please take some time to learn about the programs you are using if you have ANY trouble. This includes windows, mysql, the dos command line, and networking. There are MANY web pages with info. The mysql help files are probably on your hard drive, and there is a lot of help on the dos command line built into windows.

Search (http://forums.eqemu.net/search.php?s=) for other posts dealing with similar problems.

Reading the Sticky posts at the beginning of the forum, like this one make it a LOT easier to solve the problem. If you don't bother to post you configs and emu screens, why should we bother to post a response to" I have an error, helpppppp!!!"

Other tools and support program in 3rd Party Tools (http://forums.eqemu.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10 )
Help setting up the publiclogin (unsupported) server is here (http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1471)

It is a very good idea to always include your Loginserver.ini and boot5zones.bat file (paste the text) in any support posts where you have problems and/or errors even if the following requests do not say to do it.

1) If you are having PROGRAM CRASHING errors, please provide the following information:
a) What error you are having and when you are having it.
b) What OS (Operating System, IE: Windows 95) you are using
c) What EMU Version (IE: 0.3.7) you are using
d) What you are connecting to (Minilogin, Publiclogin, Logging/Hosting into eqlogin.eqemu.net)
e) Are you using eqgame.exe patchme, or EQW.
f) If EQW, what version you are using.
g) When your last patch date was.
h) Your Processor Speed, RAM, Video Card type/size, Internet Connection Type(Cable, DSL, 56k), and Sound Card.

2) If you are having SQL errors, please provide the following information:
c) What EMU Version (IE: 0.3.1) you are using
d) What you are connecting to (Minilogin, Publiclogin, Logging/Hosting into eqlogin.eqemu.net)
e) Paste your db.ini file in the post (please MASK out the password).
3) If you are having ZONE.EXE errors, please provide the following information:
e) Paste the text out of these files:
boot5zones.bat, db.ini and loginserver.ini (mask out PASSWORDS please).

4) If you are having WORLD.EXE errors, please provide the following information:
e) Paste the text out of these files:
db.ini (mask out PASSWORD please)
loginserver.ini

5) If you are having 1017 errors, please provide the following information:
a) What OS (Operating System, IE: Windows 95) you are using
b) What you are connecting to (Minilogin, Publiclogin, Logging/Hosting into eqlogin.eqemu.net)
d) Paste the text out of these files:
db.ini (mask out PASSWORD please)
loginserver.ini
boot5zones.bat
eqhost.txt (in your eq directory)
e) Load up world.exe, and Boot5zones.bat and copy/paste them in the post.

6) If you are having Can Not Load xxx.map errors, please read below:
a) The map files are not needed to play EQEMU, they will in no way effect your performance or ability to host a server.

7) If you are having problems not listed here, please provide the following information:
b) What you are connecting to (Minilogin, Publiclogin, Logging/Hosting into eqlogin.eqemu.net)
db.ini (mask PASSWORD please)
loginserver.ini
boot5zone (or boot5zone.win9x depending on OS)
e) Load up world.exe, and Boot5zone(win9x) and copy/paste them in the post.

7 Steps to Success:
1. Read the readme.html
2. rtfm
3. follow the readme
4. read the readme again
5. read the manual
6. read the manual again
7. post a reply in forums and Shawn319 will give you quotes from the readme.

I know I am missing errors, someone give me a few more to add please ;)

Edited by Shawn319 on 9/24/2002 12:41 AM EST

Shawn319
04-30-2002, 03:41 PM
You forgot these

1. Read the readme.txt
2. rtfm
3. follow the readme
4. read the readme again
5. read the manual
6. read the manual again
7. post a reply in forums and i'll give you quotes from the readme.

Baron Sprite
04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
there you go ;)

Lurker_005
04-30-2002, 05:04 PM
They also need to say what they running. minilogin, publiclogin, just loging into eqlogin.eqemu.net and/or how they want to use their server.

Trumpcard
05-01-2002, 12:07 AM
This would be an excellent sticky :-)

Boogahed
05-03-2002, 08:47 AM
What "manual" are you referring to?
I've yet to find anything but the readme.txt

Lurker_005
05-04-2002, 04:09 AM
He is refering to the readme.txt

Lurker_005
05-27-2002, 06:18 AM
Baron add this one...

8) If you are having problems not listed here, please provide the following information:
db.ini
loginserver.ini
boot5zone (or boot5zone.win9x depending on OS)
e) Load up world.exe, and Boot5zone(win9x) and copy/paste them in the post.

Also perhaps something targeted at those just connecting to the emu, and not running the server at all.

Baron Sprite
05-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks lurker x2 ;)

Shawn319
09-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Updated the main post a little....

gooftrooper
09-24-2002, 07:02 AM
ok i have everything i need but when i try run eqgame patchme i get the error message in DDRAW.DLL. ive installed the latest DX drivers and latest drivers for my graphics card. i got win98se and am running in 1024x768 32-bit. my comp is amd-k6 500,3d prophet 4000xt tv-out 64mb. i got 128 mb ram wtf is going on :'(

Shawn319
09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
This is not the thread to ask for support. please make a new post.

Thanathose
12-30-2002, 03:03 AM
Well since Read the Readme and RTFM are repeated a lot leme start there.

****INSTALL METHOD 3****

Hosting your own EQEmu Server / Login Server
4. Run PublicLogin.exe
Run World.exe
Run Boot5Zones.bat

5. If you want others to connect to your Server via Your Public Login tell them to edit there eqhost.txt to say what
your eqhost.txt says

Please read that carefully as I did, then go Look for the file PublicLogin.exe.

2: I managed to set up pretty much everything and cant log into my own server for 2 reasons.
First your database here doesn

Funnas
01-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Where do you the public login server and also can you use the minilogin.exe :?: :arrow::!: The creater link for the PublicLogin.exe is incorrect :!:

I'm using the improved boot5zones.bat

REM: ****Read this first!!!****

REM: This file requires your real IP in the place of "YourIP" when you are connecting
REM: To the EQEmu Loginserver.

REM: When you are using minilogin, Replace all IP Addresses to say 127.0.0.1

REM: If you still get errors try using localhost instead of 127.0.0.1

REM:--------------Start-----------------------
@echo off
start Minilogin
start zone . localhost 7995 localhost
start zone . localhost 7996 localhost
World
cls
exit

:NOSPELL
echo You did not copy the spells_en.txt from your everquest directory to this one. Please do so or zones will crash on startup.
PAUSE

REM:---------------END------------------------

Galin Nytshade
04-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Trying to host my own server on EQEmu, but when i start world.exe, it goes fine till i get an error that says this:

Connected to LoginServer:eqlogin2.eqemu.net:5999
Login server responded with FatalError. Disabling reconnect.
Error message: 'Bad server name. Unknown reason.'
64.81.113.122:5999: TCPConnection::RecvData(): Error: 10053

Looked through and double-checked all the settings, so if someone else could point out what i'm overlooking, it would sure help.

# READ README.TXT!

[Database]
host=localhost
user=Galin Nytshade
password=hentai
database=eq
compression=off

### --- This file tells world.exe what computer mySQL is on. Host should
### --- be left "localhost" unless mysql is on a differant computer than world.exe.

### --- This file tells world.exe what loginserver to connect to.
### --- Leave the account and password field BLANK.

### --- Public Login is un-supported as is LAN playing. We reccomend using the EQEmu.net Loginserver ALWAYS.

### --- NOTE: Starting 6-1-2002, you can no longer use the word "Server" in worldname.
### --- NOTE2: the word "Server" is added to each server automaticly.

# READ README.TXT

[LoginServer]
loginserver=eqlogin1.eqemu.net
loginserver2=eqlogin2.eqemu.net
loginport=5999
loginport2=5999
worldname=Gix's
worldaddress=66.76.159.167
locked=false
account=
password=

[WorldServer]
Defaultstatus=
Unavailzone=

[LoginConfig]
ServerMode=Standalone
ServerPort=5999
UplinkAddress=
UplinkPort=
UplinkAccount=
UplinkPassword=

REM: ****Read this first!!!****

REM: This file requires your real IP in the place of "hosthere" when you are connecting
REM: To the EQEmu Loginserver.

REM: When you are using minilogin, Replace all IP Addresses to say 127.0.0.1

REM: If you still get errors try using localhost instead of 127.0.0.1

REM:--------------Start-----------------------
@echo off

if NOT exist spells_en.txt goto NOSPELL

start zone . 66.76.159.167 7995 66.76.159.167
start zone . 66.76.159.167 7996 66.76.159.167
start zone . 66.76.159.167 7997 66.76.159.167
start zone . 66.76.159.167 7998 66.76.159.167
start zone . 66.76.159.167 7999 66.76.159.167

exit
cls

:NOSPELL
echo You did not copy the spells_en.txt from your everquest directory to this one. Please do so or zones will crash on startup.
PAUSE

REM:---------------END------------------------

tcsmyworld
04-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Have you tried removing the apostrophe from Gix's?

Valdaor
04-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Omg, none of you are having this huge problem I am having.. Okay back in the day when EQEmu Patcher use to work, it would download the updated files for you.. Now it doesn't seem to be doing so anymore. Instead when I run the Patcher it says "Cannot Connect to Patch Server" why is this happening, what files do I need to beable to play on other players servers?

Velosity
05-10-2003, 05:54 AM
You are missing the d3d8 file . . . simply reinstalling the latest version of Dirext X SHOULD fix the problem. if not go do www.drivers.com and download d3d8.dll and put it in C:\Windows

Grumper
08-15-2003, 12:46 PM
hrmm

The_Beast
11-08-2017, 05:01 AM
I'm gonna keep bumping this until I can figure it out.
Oh ya ? I'll see your bump and raise you two bumps.

WarAngel
11-08-2017, 06:06 PM
To maintain the spirit of the original post, I favor the idea of recompiling the information and making this a sticky. I tried to find directions on how to submit bugs and errors such as this. Last ting I need is to do is frustrate the very folks who are willing to help me. But I posted my problem the best way I could think of, in my inexperienced way. These directions would have helped me feel a bit less apprehensive about asking for help. And of course help those who want to help. Thank you for the post by the way.

-Eric