PDA

View Full Version : Minilogin

troutman
10-05-2004, 07:25 AM
I've been searching the forums quite a bit trying to scrounge more info on minilogin. So much info on different versions.

Is it currently possible to setup a standalone machine with 5.9dr2?

Have a 13 hour flight coming up....and it would be a nice distraction to play on my laptop. :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mrea
10-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Nope, minilogin hasn't been compatible for a while, the closest there is right now is an apparently sloppily written perl minilogin for 5.7 dr6

Derision
10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
apparently sloppily written perl minilogin for 5.7 dr6

Until you write something better, criticising someone elses code is a bit uncalled for ...

troutman
10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Downloaded this file to experiment. Don't think mrea meant anything derogatory, as this was in the readme:

However, this code is alpha (and very ugly written),

troutman
10-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Been playing with this a bit and can't seem to get it to work. I'm guessing client issues. :(

mystic414
10-05-2004, 02:34 PM
There's a thread going in the Development::Tools forum about that perl version of minilogin.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17232

Several people (myself included) have had problems using it, and as of yet no one has volunteered a solution.

Kinda frustrating... it's been a long time since minilogin has been updated and it sounds like there are many people waiting for it. Moreover, from what I've heard it isn't really a technical issue holding things up--people just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Ah well. Patience, patience...

mrea
10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
However, this code is alpha (and very ugly written),
That is exactly what I meant. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Charmy
10-05-2004, 08:48 PM
There's a thread going in the Development::Tools forum about that perl version of minilogin.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17232

Several people (myself included) have had problems using it, and as of yet no one has volunteered a solution.

Kinda frustrating... it's been a long time since minilogin has been updated and it sounds like there are many people waiting for it. Moreover, from what I've heard it isn't really a technical issue holding things up--people just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Ah well. Patience, patience...

The main reason is due to the fact smogo is gone on a boat trip for a week or two, so he hasn't had any time to update it, and aside from that he has been working on server code as well. I understand its frustrating, but it DOES work, if not with some strange flags (to many failed login attempts, incorrect server locked/unlocked status etc) If you can't get it to work properly you missed somthing in the setup of perl, you must have all of the correct modules installed. And on a side note smogo did post
This is alpha developer release. No support

To mrea: Even if you did 'mean' to say what smogo said in that it is 'alpha and very ugly' you aren't allowed to quote him until you come out with somthing better.

mrea
10-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Just because I can't code does not mean I cannot quote someone. And it was not insulting either, as I was simply warning Troutman that it is early alpha and hence the ugly coding (I even said apparent). Sorry if smogo took this offensively but I did not mean anything by it, just trying to help someone.

Doodman
10-06-2004, 01:58 AM
The perl minilogin is compatible with pre-6/22 patched clients only, which would also mean for 5.7-DR6 servers.

troutman
10-06-2004, 07:04 AM
From what I've been trying, I'm assuming my issue is the client that's causing the prob, not the minilogin anyway. Figures my system restore only goes back to 7/3 LOL.

troutman
10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Hmmm, another question. If I'm hosting my own server, and use eqemulator's login, do I need to remain connected to the net after connecting to the server? (client/server same machine).

mrea
10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Never tried, but I would assume no because as you seem to understand you are no longer connected to them anyway, try setting all the IP values in boot5zones.bat and yourworldaddress in loginserver.ini to 127.0.0.1 or localhost

mystic414
10-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Never tried, but I would assume no because as you seem to understand you are no longer connected to them anyway, try setting all the IP values in boot5zones.bat and yourworldaddress in loginserver.ini to 127.0.0.1 or localhost

I've tried doing that and in my experience once you disconnect from the net you can keep playing only until you zone. If you zone after getting off the Internet, then you just instantly disconnect from your server. This seems very odd to me (why EQEmu would need to talk to the login server after logging in is beyond me), but there you have it. I can play and zone just fine on my localhost server until I disconnect; then it drops me upon zoning.

This is why I keep hoping for an updated, working minilogin... some of us, *gasp*, still use dial-up Internet connections and would appreciate being able to play on our local server without using up hours with our ISP or tying up the phone line.

troutman: if you can find a way to play (and zone) after disconnecting, please let me know. I'd be very interested in hearing how...

mystic414
10-06-2004, 12:38 PM
It occurred to me 5 seconds after posting that last message that I might know what the problem is: world.exe complains after it loses its connection to the login server (after I disconnect from the Internet), so perhaps it no longer responds to zone.exe after that point.

Anyone know if there is a way to disable world.exe from checking for an active connection to the login server, or to at least keep it responding to zone.exe after it loses connection to the login server?

troutman
10-06-2004, 12:41 PM
As I mentioned in my first post, I'll be taking a long flight soon and would love to play with no inet connection.

I'm quite certain it's possible using the perl minilogin, but I don't have the right client to make it happen unfortunately. warez isn't an option for me either....never used it, never will.

troutman
11-03-2004, 05:04 AM
WOOO! Waited a coupla weeks and now see that Minilogin is a done deal again. Did a fresh install and all is working great!