PDA

View Full Version : Pre-compiled vs. Compiling It Yourself

zephyr325
10-16-2004, 03:01 AM
Haven't seen this question asked/answered anywhere...

Q1A - Is the current compiled version out on WINCVS compiled from whatever the latest source is, or is that based off of a stable release branch and only compiled every once in a while?

Q1B - Or, asking it another way, if I'm trying to use the 6.0 DR1 database format, should I be grabbing the source or can I use the compiled version out there?

Q2 - Also, as a general question, does compiling the source on my machine (that I'm going to be running it on) provide any advantage to using a pre-compiled version?

Thanks for suffering through the newbie questions...

zephyr325
10-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Haven't seen this question asked/answered anywhere...

Q1A - Is the current compiled version out on WINCVS compiled from whatever the latest source is, or is that based off of a stable release branch and only compiled every once in a while?

Q1B - Or, asking it another way, if I'm trying to use the 6.0 DR1 database format, should I be grabbing the source or can I use the compiled version out there?

Q2 - Also, as a general question, does compiling the source on my machine (that I'm going to be running it on) provide any advantage to using a pre-compiled version?

Thanks for suffering through the newbie questions...

OK, figured out my own answer for Q1A and Q1B - when I run the world.exe, I get :
CURRENT_WORLD_VERSION: EQEMu 0.6.0-DR1

So I'm getting the new compiled version.

Now its just intellectual curosity about the should I compile it myself question...

mrea
10-16-2004, 03:42 AM
For Q2, as far as I know, there is no benefit to compiling it yourself, unless you know C++ and would like to edit some of the source code.

smogo
10-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Unless you intend to modify the code, compiling on your machine is no point. except :

- you are not on Windows
or
- you have a compiler that you think may do better job than the one that did the compile. This can be because you have a different compiler than the devs in EQEMu do, or you have specific libraries that you think are better, or you wanna try some optimize switches .. erf, well this could get technical, so basically, no, you don't get big advantages compiling yourself.

:p

jimbox114
10-16-2004, 10:49 AM
If you want the max level charactors can reach to go past 70 you will have to compile it yourself. If you decide to do that be really careful. Just cause a player can reach 130 don't mean they can kill a green level 100 mob solo. Past 70 you don't really get any extra skills, just more hp and the ability to raise your stats.