PDA

View Full Version : New Feature or tool.

sdabbs65
10-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I think this would be a nice add on tool/feature for EQEMU.
A packet collector tool that takes spawns and npcs and places them in your database.

maybe world.exe -import XXX.bin

I realize this is way out in left field..but it would be nice.

animepimp
10-19-2004, 02:42 AM
This already exists and is what PEQ is using to make their Live clone moving DB. I don't know of any programs like this publicly released though.

sdabbs65
10-19-2004, 02:58 AM
This already exists and is what PEQ is using to make their Live clone moving DB. I don't know of any programs like this publicly released though.

it hinders the community to withold valueable tools but thats there choice, im sure they have there reasons.

last time I checked PEQ was offline...shrug.

cavedude
10-19-2004, 03:14 AM
EQBuilder is available off the PEQ website http://www.peqserver.com/ although it seems to be down atm.

The packet collector that creates the logs usable by that is offered by Hackerquest. http://hackersquest.com/

I used that program myself for my own database, it works quite well.

Edgar1898
10-19-2004, 04:22 AM
actually the new Beta of Packetcollector collects spawns, zone configs, zone points, AAs, doors and items. Right now it uploads them to a central location, but very soon I will write a script to parse the info and make it available for download. Noone seems to be collecting except for me though :/

Kroeg
10-19-2004, 04:23 AM
The projecteq team uses the same tools and files that normal typical users have access to... as the projecteq team was started firstly as a private effort, much like yours. The only trick to it all is spending all the time it takes to actually get everything working together.

sdabbs65
10-19-2004, 04:58 AM
actually the new Beta of Packetcollector collects spawns, zone configs, zone points, AAs, doors and items. Right now it uploads them to a central location, but very soon I will write a script to parse the info and make it available for download. Noone seems to be collecting except for me though :/

That central location, we would love to have access to a file like that to use.
So far it's been working great useing the item DB.
but spawns etc ....hmmm it would be great to have access to those things.
only trouble is from one version to the other they vary.
I Tried to source in a old RIB database but it use's a different a format that the new source rejects. lots of editing to get that working.

Xabob
10-19-2004, 08:50 AM

WTF le i am collecting :evil:

sotonin
10-19-2004, 09:33 AM
yep. peqserver.com is offline atm. We're undergoing a server reformat, putting a better os and web server management software on it. PEQ-TGC will probably go down for 1-2 days as well starting tomorrow.

fathernitwit
10-19-2004, 09:59 AM
LE,

I have to say that I personally dont like the fact that the collector uploads to a central place... I think it would be a lot more useful if it could send that info to a configurable place, and the other end to receive it was released...
just my thoughts.

RangerDown
10-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I thought the collector had -dbh, -dbuser and -dbpass switches to let you upload to an alternate location? Do these not work.

I guess even if they do, I'm sure you have to have the table structures it's expecting, which I've never seen documented anywhere.

sdabbs65
10-22-2004, 03:16 AM
I thought the collector had -dbh, -dbuser and -dbpass switches to let you upload to an alternate location? Do these not work.

I guess even if they do, I'm sure you have to have the table structures it's expecting, which I've never seen documented anywhere.

I wonder if I could just use a dummy database to add that to my working DB. I will do some test tonight if those commands work for me.

Edgar1898
10-22-2004, 04:19 AM
LE,

I have to say that I personally dont like the fact that the collector uploads to a central place... I think it would be a lot more useful if it could send that info to a configurable place, and the other end to receive it was released...
just my thoughts.

Why? Once I get my scripts setup they can download any information they upload. It wouldnt be more useful if they could configure it to upload to their own db because people would be selfish and only upload to their database. Which means noone except themselves would benefit from the information. As it is now, everyone will benefit.

Xothin
10-22-2004, 04:42 AM
LE,

With Packet Collector, what would we use to parse the data into something that is usable in our own DBs?

From what I understand EQBuilder does not function with the latest packet logs from EQLive since the OoW update.

Also, not to sidetrack the thread, what would it take to get EQBuilder up to snuff as far as reading the latest packet sessions from EQLive? I'm not a great coder, but am at least a halfdecent one.

fathernitwit
10-22-2004, 04:54 AM
Also, not to sidetrack the thread, what would it take to get EQBuilder up to snuff as far as reading the latest packet sessions from EQLive? I'm not a great coder, but am at least a halfdecent one.

Well, the brilliant retard programmer that wrote eqbuilder LOST THE FUCKING CODE! so all we have is an older release... but is is around, search for it (1.3b is the version). Then you just need to fix it to work with new eqcollector logs...

On a side note, the guy who puts out eqcollector thinks the design to parse logs is retarded, and I think I halfway agree.. he has a plugin archetecture to eqcollector that should make it a lot easier to get at the data we need.... just an alternative.

fathernitwit
10-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Why?

Well one big reason I think is that some people collect a specific thing for a specific reason... and if it gets lumpped into this uncontrollable aggregate sum, it might not be useful to them.

Now, if there was a reliable way to get both EXACTLY what I just collected, and the aggregate overall, then maybe it would be more useful...

how about this for a compromise... have it always send the data to your mystic place, but ALSO give the user the option of specifying an additional place for it to go, so they can use it for personal things as they see fit...

Edgar1898
10-22-2004, 09:08 AM
I might be willing to make that concession, as long as everyone benefits from the information. My main goal is to share the information with the community and my only issue with having the information uploaded into the user's private database is that people will hoard the information for themselves and it will benefit noone.