PDA

View Full Version : Mysql Connectivity, library versions, and other gotchas

wodalgames
10-20-2004, 04:24 AM
I have been attempting for a week now to get the newest CVS to operate correctly in linux. I know that DRs are unsupported, but am wondering if anybody else has had this particular problem.

I am running a Debian unstable distro w/ a 2.6 series kernel. libc6 v2.3.2-ds1-18. I have tried gcc 3.2 (seems to compile correctly), gcc3.3 (breaks inlining) and 3.4 (does not like the makefile's flags). I have also tried with mysql 3.23.49, and 4.0.x (include and client versions as well).

I have tried modifiying the make files, and even hacking the source a bit (at least studying it to figure out what's going wrong) and am just about at the end of my rope.

All three pieces compile correctly (with a few warnings of course). They seem to run fine, with one exception. It will send it's queries to the db server (I can see them come across in the mysql logs), but then just sits there. (This ONLY happens on the loading items section). After sitting for about 5 minutes it finally times out and sends the other queries which load up the guilds and factions portions. I have not tested whether it is actually serving the world/zones or not but I figured it's no fun without items :) I also cannot get it to connect to MiniLogin (kinda wish I had the source for that one but not available).

Was just wondering has anybody else had this issue and resolved it? I've been all over the forums and seen that many people have been able to get eqemu to work in linux, so I'm sure it's probably something I am missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Wolf

RangerDown
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
A few of us have gotten those timeouts on loading-items. It might have something to do with the latest linux kernel (the 2.6 series) -- there's a known issue with that kernel and (threading? or something really important like that). There might be a fix by now, I don't know. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is go back down to 2.4.

wodalgames
10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, 0.6.0-DR1 (which is the version I have been working with) is finally behaving itself. I took a second look on that box and the kernel had not been updated since 2.6.3. As of this reply the current kernel version is 2.6.9, and everything seemed to go ok so far. No more database hangs, no problems loading items.

So for anybody who is having the same problem, make sure you are using libc6 2.3.x, gcc-3.3 and have all of the up to date includes && use the newest kernel!

Now, as soon as I get x finished compiling on that box, time to test using minilogin.

Wish me luck, and if I run in to snags and figure them out, I will post my results.

-Wolf

Xorith
11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm running a Debian 2.4 kernel and having the same DB time-outs. going to try to match my versions with yours on everything else. I'm not a complete expert on Linux, so I'm not sure if I want to try to upgrade my kernel... I'd rather not screw something up on the count of being a newb :P

Xorith
11-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Aha!

I remembered another post about ipcs. Apparently my other failed attempts left some shared memory allocated.

I did ipcs

Then ipcrm -m <smid> for the two with nattach 0.

All items loading fine now.