PDA

View Full Version : NPC Creation and Editing?

Draugr
10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi,
Is there a GUI program that will let me create and edit NPCs and then place them in the game? I'm trying to learn how to program scripts in PERL and I'm trying currently to make a soulbinder script for a Soulbinder I wish to place in front of the Qeynos main entrance. Here are my questions.

1. Is there a way to create a NPC in a GUI type third party program that makes NPC creation easy?

2. Is there a way to place spawn points and setup spawn timer, etc... for NPCs like soulbinders via a GUI interface? I can't seem to find out how to do it in game as I've read what to do on these forums, but it seems that each how to I read ends up with people saying it doesn't work.

Finally, if there is no 3rd party program, can someone please explain in detail how to place a soulbinder then make it a perm re-spawn if it dies at a set location. I'm using the 058 PEQ database, and I understand that I have to create a PERL script that points to the NPCID. I'll try to figure that out as soon as I can get past the create NPC, place NPC and setup spawner for NPC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Malignus Wingnut
10-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Download the EQEmu Admin tool 5.2, search around the forums, you'll find it eventually. It has a graphical user interface, you'll get the hang of it eventually. As far as spawning is concerned:

A spawn works like this (techincal stuff, but may help you understand the spawn tab in the eqemu admin tool a little better):

For each spawn in the game, there is a record in the spawn2 table that contains the x, y, z, heading, and respawn time of the specific npc.

Each record in the spawn2 table draws its spawn information (What npc will spawn) from the spawngroup table.

A spawngroup will contain what npcs can spawn along with their probability (in percent). The individual npcs in each spawngroup are the spawn entries.

Play around, you'll get it.

Draugr
10-23-2004, 07:03 PM
So, EQ Admin 5.2 works with EQEmu Server 6.0? That would be great. I'll have to search for it. I thought that EQ Admin was discontinued and the last version wasn't compatible with the current EQEmu servers.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Malignus Wingnut
10-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Its just a database editing tool, version of eqemu has nothing to do with it. It hasn't been updated to edit the newer tables (aa_swarmpets, fishing, couple others) but is still very useful.

Draugr
10-24-2004, 04:07 PM
I searched a bit for EQ Admin 5.2 and found a few posts that talk about it, but no listing for a download of it. Is there a guide or post that steps a user through creating a NPC such as a soulbinder, then placing him in game via the client, making him spawn and then how to create a PERL script for him? I think I found a script for Soulbinders on another post and will check it out more thoroughly. I just need to familiarize myself with basic PERL syntax and the rest should be asy. I used to program in Turbo Pascal and C++ so I have general programming knowledge, just need to get familair with PERL. :)

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to make three types of NPCs that I don't recall seeing in EQ LIVE when I played years go. First, the obvious Soulbinder at each town (Yes, that one did exist back in Live), then a NPC Healer who will heal a player who comes to town for a free, and finally, a NPC Healer that will be found wandering around small villages or human camps in certain zones that will offer healing services for a fee. Ex: Minor Healing might be 5pp, Full healing 10pp, Cure Poison, Cure Disease, etc... The numbers I just listed are just examples, but thats the type of NPCs I'd like to create. The NPC healers near small villages, etc... will also wander about the zone and can be attacked, and killed by mobs which would then cause there to be no healer in the area till a few hours later when it re-pops. I figure these NPC healers in town and in certain zones will help players on my server enjoy the game a bit more. Since there isn't alot of players on my server, the chance of teaming with a healing character is slim to none. Oh, and one other type of NPC. Similar to the healer but one that will buff for a fee. SOW, Str, Haste, etc....

I'd really be appreciative of any help one can give.

Thanks
John

Sarepean
10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey! I was unable to find this exact tool. I'm a student at the local High School and am enrolled in some college courses, so I don't have a lot of time, but I'm thinking I'm going to have a tutorial up around Wednesday-ish or so about how to make an NPC with loot tables using MySQL-Front. This will most likely have something about creating new items as well.

Kind of had to resort to this since I couldn't find any programs good for it. The mob that the tutorial will create will be "The Fabled Ancient Cyclops."

-Sarepean

mrea
10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
I suggest spawning your guy in game and then doing #npcspawn create
and #npcspawn add
This will add your spawn to the database, then you can get iEQ and edit faction etc. Spawning ingame is a lot easier than using EQAdmin.