PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of Morrowind after 12 hours of play. Enjoy!

Vipermmx
05-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Well is this game uber? Or all hype? Its pure uber. This game is the most detailed RPG to date. The wood textures to the stone are all superb. When sitting in the boat for the first time I starred at the amount of texture they used. Not just a single texture. All the textures are rich and sharp to give off an effect that makes you feel as its real. In the begining of the game you make your char based on your wants. Want a pre-defined class or would you rather make up your own class with its own description?

So far I have played a Dragon Knight char thats an Imperial Race and have Long Sword,Block,Alchemy,heavy Armor,marksman as major skills. I am wearing pretty looking steel armor with a magic longsword that shimmers from a graphic effect. When in combat if I block with shield you see the shield raise up infront of you as you here the blow get deflected. My weapon peirces my targets with speed and it casts a lighting spell on touch of target. I can take hits well. My bow can take opponents out in 3 shots if I stand on a rock. To get on a rock I have arobatics as my minor skill. It allows me to jump high. With enough training I can jump on roofs at later levels.

This game is all about skills. Running slow is a skill. Once you get a set of items to enhance or potion you can run a long time fast. I ran into a pair of boots that gave 200+ to run but also blinding me. The quests are fun. I had a chance to reveal a theif and steal his stash. I killed a person to take his house as my own. I pick locks to get treasure and disarm traps all are my minor skills which skill up faster then misc skills. To run faster it is better to put athletics as a major or minor to increase speed.

I ventured into my first dungeon and freed some slaves. I went on and found another that a rumor talked about having a POWERFUl ring hidden. I got the ring and walked into town and the people whistled at me and said nice gear. I use my alchemy to make potions for myself to heal or other stuff.

The weather system is AMAZING. The first time I saw the rain hit the water and ripple it I starred. When the lighting roared I jumped out of my seat. The night sky is AMAZING and looks very real. You can even see the stars form stuff like the little dipper.

This game is amazing I havent even gotten into Wars and guild houses yet or many other things you can do. GET THIS GAME.

Hope you enjoyed my impressions. Tried not to spoil anything but hard to discribe game without alittle hint.

Vipermmx
05-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Here is my specs on PC. The game runs flawless and no real framelag.

PC setup:

WinXP
1.2ghz Thunder
SBlive
512 DDR 300mhz
Dragon Motherboard
Geforce 4 ti4600 Vtek

Game settings:

1027x768
Max draw distance
Max Shadows
Max AI distance
Pixel Shaders engaged(pretty water)
Q FSAA

78fps<--- average

Trumpcard
05-04-2002, 04:45 AM
Yea.. This game is great... So far , I am amazed at the depth of detail thats been put into it.. I have a feeling that this is the game Ive be comparing new ones against for a long time to come..

It did make me decide to order a GeF4 4600Ti though... :-)

Time to replace the Radeon 7200.. (Guess I'll pop it in the Linux box, and take the old GeF2 MX400 and put it into one of my backburner lan boxes...

Shawn319
05-04-2002, 09:32 AM
The game is awesome (aside from the 3-5 second loading every 10-20 seconds (changing area and adding where you've been to the map).

It is very hard to get the hang of (right click inventory and no normal mouse pointer is kinda wierd for a seasoned EQ/AC player.

i suggest remapping the keys as SOON AS YOU GET IN to prevent long term mental damage.

graphics look awesome (especially the water).

using PIV 2.2GHz, 1024MB RD Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 4600Ti 128mb 3D card (came with computer hehe).

If you got all you can from the game and want more.. try one or more of the 400 something cheats available :)

**Cheats**

http://www.cheathappens.com/showcheat.asp?ID=10546

Drawde
05-07-2002, 08:20 AM
I got MW in the post today, after playing it for several hours I'm EXTREMELY
impressed! It's much better than I expected it to be actually, I was worried
it would be too small and limited in scope, but although it's only a fraction
of the size of Daggerfall there's still a vast number of places to go and things
to do. There are at least 25 towns and villages and they all seem very different,
from Daggerfall-style half-timbered Imperial towns, dilapidated fishing villages,
the Arabian-style town of Balmora and very weird Dark Elf towns with insectoid
chitin buildings. And they all have unique NPCs in them, many of whom have quests and useful
info. Very different to the hundreds of cookie-cutter towns in Daggerfall.
There's a vast number of different spell types, and you can design
your own and enchant your own custom magic items. Currently I've only got a few basic damage, shielding etc
spells but there are all sorts of ones you can buy or create, including summoning ones. The alchemy system looks to be really
good to (my current char doesn't have alchemy skill, but my next one will), almost every
flower, plant and fungus you see can be picked and brewed into potions.
There are loads of dungeons and tombs hidden out in the wilderness, although most of them
are far too dangerous for my character at the minute (there are quite a few caves that seem to
be bandit hideouts, and the well-armed occupants kill you very quickly the moment you enter).
Currently I'm playing a Dark Elf spellsword, I plan to also start a High Elf pure mage,
Khajit thief/mage and human (maybe Breton or Imperial) paladin-type fighter/priest. Thieving looks to be great fun, as like in the Thief series of games, literally anything that isn't nailed down can be picked up and sold!
I'll certainly still be developing things for (and playing) EQEmu, as although I prefer MW overall
EQ is quite different in playing style to MW, with more distinct character classes and more "strategy" in spell use
and character building, whilst MW is more of an immersive role-playing experience. A bit like
the difference between Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment.
However Morrowind is certainly responsible for my next DB release being delayed by at least a day :)
it's nearly finished but just needs some last-minute checking for bugs, which I didn't manage to do
today for obvious reasons!

Trumpcard
05-07-2002, 11:40 AM
This game made me decide to upgrade my video card to a GeF 4, thats how much I like it !

The hardest part for me is creating the character, getting that right mix of spells and weaponry is important (plus having skills that are easy gains)

Tips on skills..

Weapon and armor skills are great as primary/secondary skills, as are athlitics and acrobatics (you can make levels fairly quickly using them)

The stealth skills are much harder to get practice in (try to pick every lock, and sneak around as much as possible)

I made the mistake of picking destruction with a warrior class, should have picked something else, like enchant. Restoration is a great compliment to any fighter though. As far as birthsigns, the one that gives you spell absorbation is great for a fighter.. less rest for mana, as you suck it in, and there seems to be alot of people willing to throw spells at you.

Once you realize you made a bad character, you are too far in to the game to restart! lol.. If you follow the main plot that is, but i like the option of not having too do it. Can't wait to see the mod's that are thought up, definitely like the idea of its replayability..