PDA

View Full Version : Help.. Computer is slow..

dr0ville
10-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Hey guys just wondering if any of you guys could help me with my computer. My symptoms are constant lagging and sound distortion within running any application such as EQW, Windows Media Player, Etc. When I click on it the computer's resources jump to 100% and it stays around 100% for a while, and the sound tends to distort really badly, (it's the not the sound card I know). But my friend says that I didn't get a clean windows XP install.. current specs on my computer are

1700MHZ Intel P4 Processor/533
1024RAM (PC2700)
Geforce 4 Mx 440 (128Mbit)
Onboard 6 Channel C-Media Device.

Recently installed a 60 gig drive.. ever since been running like this =/

sotonin
10-28-2004, 06:27 PM
well, onboard sounds blows the big one in general. So you might invest ina real soundcard.

As far as running sluggish. Download ad-ware and spybot search and destroy run them both. If you get popups all the time, you're computer may be too far gone and need a format.

dr0ville
10-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Yah, I'm quite knowledgeable about the Ad-Aware Spies and etc.. Just not the hardware fixations and all of that. I know my onboard sound blows, I should get the soundblaster live 5.1 for 30 bucks.. but too lazy right now just mainly wanna fix this problem. I think it is something wrong with my onboard because i was just playing it .. and my resources with window media player was 6,109k but the CPU usage was quite high. The next thing I noticed was when i closed it because my computer just started lagging and making that sound, i couldn't use windows media player says my soundcard or whatever is corrupted..bleh so i'm thinkin the slow ness of my computer comes from my sound?

sotonin
10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
it's possible. c-media is pretty bad. You can try removing that device from your computer and when it tries ot reinstall, ignore it dont tell it where to find drivers. It should essentially turn off sound. run it a few days and see if it's still slow

zephyr325
10-29-2004, 04:54 AM
I've made it a point to re-image my PC at least a couple of times a year. If you're anything like me (try out a lot of stuff) you end up having a lot of crap sitting around in the core Windows directories, drivers, etc., and I almost always notice a significant performance increase afterwards. Besides, it forces me to keep my important crap backed up. :wink:

dr0ville
10-29-2004, 01:07 PM
thx for replying guys =0)

dr0ville
10-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Yah.. it's me again.. uninstalled C-Media and it still sucks.. don't know what to do, even when i didn't install it, you could tell it lags.. now my computer starts to lag on the windows xp bootup screen.. the bar lags instead of running smoothly.. any ideas? =/

mrea
10-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Did you try disabling onboard audio in your system BIOS? Only do this if you feel thats the problem.

Kroeg
10-30-2004, 05:08 AM
I've personally never had good results with eq and onboard sound. Seems to want to cut out and stop making any noise until you reboot. You can score a cheap soundcard (like an audigy gamer, which go for like $40 now) at many different places both online and in retail stores.