PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the new quest system

ajb20
11-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Well after some testing, I have come across a bunch of problems with the new quest system and its just giving me a headache. 1) Scribespells does not work, 2) When you do quest::spawn you cannot attach a quest to the NPC that is spawned. I am sure there are others, I just gave up at this point.

Anyone else who is frustrated with this "understested" quest system, I did a roll back and integrated the previous Perl system into the newest source and it seemed to fix the problems I was having anyway. Pop me a message if you want it and I'll send it out somehow. Not gonna put it anywhere since its just a waste of space though.

fathernitwit
11-08-2004, 04:05 AM
step 1... understand what your doing...

step 2... you can comment out EMBPERL_XS and run exactly the same code as before

scribespells still works, always has, you have just been misusing it, and now perl is smart enough to tell you about it. theres another thread about it.

spawn is slightly broken right now, and will get fixed... try reporting a bug instead of calling my work a 'butchered quest system'.

I spent hours making sure I did not break anything in the old system... but why bother... next time I really will butcher it, ass. I dont know if you have noticed, but the current CVS builds have a big fucking DR in them... I wonder what the hell that means anyways....

eq_addict_08
11-08-2004, 05:39 AM
FN, don't get mad at(edit- because of) ungratefuls. You have put out more work than anyone I have seen since I have been on these boards. If they don't like it, they can 'try' to fix it themselves. I for one, very much appreciate the fact that you are working on improving EQemu, and with so many lines of code in it, it can not all happen overnight. Keep up the GREAT work.. :D

sotonin
11-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Aye, don't listen to them FNW. Although some documentation wouldn't be bad to stop these retarded threads. FNW always puts a LOT of time and effort into making his releases as bug free and COMPLETE as possible.

If you have a bug to report, please do it. With specifics such as the code you are using and what you are trying to accomplish. Don't trash talk the work or next thing you know FNW is playing eq2 and no longer working on eqemu. (jk. i know how much fnw hates eq2 hah)

phasepuma
11-08-2004, 09:32 AM
I actually like the new system. It will be great once everything gets ironed out imo

keep it up -=)

Scorpx725
11-08-2004, 01:12 PM
I still dont know how to use the new quest system and why everyone is complaining. Give him time to work it out, god damn.

ajb20
11-09-2004, 07:12 AM
I never said he didn't work hard, I just don't understand why everything was rewritten when it was working perfect. And btw, contradicting yourself seeing as how spawn was working fine before:
spawn is slightly broken right now, and will get fixed... try reporting a bug instead of calling my work a 'butchered quest system'.

I spent hours making sure I did not break anything in the old system...

Anyway, I was just frustrated, I love what you have done, but the new system needs some testing to get some bugs out which should have been done before it was brought live. Just my 2 cents.

And just as it was brought up before, just commenting out that one line does not revert back to the prior quest system. There is a whole section of code that needs to reverted in net.cpp.

P.S. There was no need to go off on me like that. A normal user would get in trouble for that but I guess its ok for the high and mighty to do it.

but the current CVS builds have a big fucking DR in them... I wonder what the hell that means anyways....
*sarcasm*Cause we all 5.8 was a bug free official release*/sarcasm*

And /cheers to me for finally figuring out how to get a Dev's attention.

sotonin
11-09-2004, 07:42 AM
*sarcasm*Cause we all 5.8 was a bug free official release*/sarcasm*

You are doing nothing but annoying the people that fix the bugs. IMO you should shut your mouth before they all say "screw you guys" and leave.

sdabbs65
11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
[Status] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/54087.pl: Perl ru
ime error: syntax error at (eval 24783) line 9, near ""You have done well. chi
! Take this as a blessing from Tunare for doing her will." summonitem"
(reverting to default questfile)
[Status] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/54070.pl: Perl ru
ime error: syntax error at (eval 25067) line 63, near "$itemcount("
syntax error at (eval 25067) line 69, near "#(END of FILE Zone:gfaydark ID:54
0 -- Sarialiyn_Tranquilsong )
; }"
[Status] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/54092.pl: Perl ru
ime error: syntax error at (eval 32732) line 20, near "$itemcount("
syntax error at (eval 32732) line 30, near "#(END of FILE Zone:gfaydark ID:54
2 -- Sylia_Windlehands )
; }"

whats the new command for itemcount ?

animepimp
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Itemcount has always used {}s not ()s. I guess it was jsut not telling you about the error before.

Kroeg
11-11-2004, 01:41 PM
54087.pl = I'd guess, multiple quotes " will screw with it.

54070.pl = you have to use { } like said before. An example would be: if($itemcount{13198} == 4){

You are also adding quotes to the last line comment for some reason it seems => line 69, near "#(END of FILE Zone:gfaydark ID:54 blah blah... should only be # without quotes.

54092.pl = The same thing, your itemcount is off and there are quotes near or in the #(END of FILE... comment. This should be at the end of the file, starting with # only.

Quotation marks are rarely used... mainly only for quest::say("") purposes. You don't need to use quotes around everything, not even in itemcount or if $item[no] lines.

Here is an example of a quest of mine (which works) that uses itemcount:

###################################
#Zone: Ak`Anon #
#Short Name: akanon #
#Zone ID: 55 #
#NPC Name: Sanfyrd_Featherhead #
#NPC ID: 55090 #
#Quest Status: Incomplete #
sub EVENT_SAY {
if($text=~/Hail/i){
quest::say("Greetings! I am the operator of this scrapyard. If you have any scrap metal. I would be glad to purchase it from you in loads of four. The Gemchoppers no longer allow me to accept blackbox fragments and micro servos."); }
}

sub EVENT_ITEM {
if($itemcount{13198} == 4){
quest::say("Excellent work. You were born to be a warrior. Here is a little bonus for the good job.");
quest::faction(115,3);
quest::faction(176,3);
quest::faction(210,3);
quest::faction(71,-3);
quest::faction(39,-3);
quest::exp(65);
quest::givecash(0,0,7,0); }
}

Mongrel
11-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Anyway, I was just frustrated, I love what you have done, but the new system needs some testing to get some bugs out which should have been done before it was brought live. Just my 2 cents.

This makes no sense at all. DR versions are for testing. They're released so that people can test them (the devs can obviously only do minimal testing) and report bugs to get them fixed.

Think before you cry foul, man.