PDA

View Full Version : IO::Scalar install help

tainer3k
11-20-2004, 12:34 PM
when i run install IO::Scalar on the cpan perl shell it opens the install process and seems to get to the very end where it hits a snag with a close handle or file ... this doesn't seem to fit with the other errors i hear about and i can't seem to find out how to fix it.
here is the only erronous content i can find in the output following the command install IO::Scalar

running make install
use of uninitialized value in <HANDLE> at c:/Perl/lib/cpan.pm line 4856
readline() on unopened filehandle at c:/perl/lib/cpan.pm line 4856
can't call method 'close' on an undefined value at c:/Perl/lib/cpan.pm line 4860.

Any and all help appreciated
-Tim

shanxi
11-20-2004, 01:06 PM
http://search.cpan.org/author/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/Scalar.pm

http://search.cpan.org/author/ERYQ/IO-stringy-2.109/lib/IO/WrapTie.pm

Download these, save em in the directory and it should work fine

then do the:

perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'Installed'"

in the command prompt

tainer3k
11-20-2004, 01:10 PM
thnx a lot ... i still couldn't find the files on the net, but somehow i ended up with them on my comp ... just in the wrong place .. after i copied them over it worked fine tho

Thnx

-Tim

shanxi
11-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Glad I could help someone =D~

tainer3k
11-20-2004, 04:17 PM
man ... it worked ... but now the only error i am recievign is after i run world.exe when i run boot5zones ... the zone will give me the following error message

[status] error initializing the perlembed : failed to install plugin printhook , do you lack IO::Scalar?
[status] fatal error initializing perl: failed to install plugin printhook, do you lak IO::Scalar?

i have absolutly no idea what to do ... can anyone help me out here?

-Tim

Lindgren
11-24-2004, 08:41 AM
I am having this problem as well. Zone.exe will run for up to a minute, then I get a crash out with the same error above.

tainer3k
11-24-2004, 09:02 AM
lol, sry forgot to add a response that i had managed to get it working ... i kinda gave up on the perl and c\switched over to the win per-compiles and was working with those only to find that the quest system uses perl so i switched back to those compiles and played around with a few things and then just tried the cmd

make install IO::Scalar ... which i had tried before but had not worked ... anyhow this time it worked ... but i still get an error it says

[error] Starting command queue mapping ...

anyhow ... i haven't figured out what the problem with this is ... but it doesn't rly seem to be effecting anything ... so i am content for now ...

SO... i hope that if you try make install it'll work ... and if not i hope you figure it out ... BTW do you know of a way to force zone.exe to load a certain zone instead of sleeping ... ie: one of the zones is always gfaydark or nexus or unrest or sumthin ?

Hope that helped

-Tim

hypershadow66
11-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Copying those files makes a perl compile run, but withought actually enabeling Perl quest system. so you have to get the install to work or find a new way to get it to work because it wont load quests correctly if you do it by downloading the files off the internet

Cisyouc
11-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Or get the source and compile it, but exclude the EMBPERL_PLUGIN definition.

troutman
11-25-2004, 07:12 AM
I posted this on another thread.

Thought I'd add what I found as a solution if having troubles installing Scalar. File is config.pm located in your perl\CPAN directory. Change the red line below to include the location of NMAKE.exe. This has worked on 2 installs for me.

# This is CPAN.pm's systemwide configuration file. This file provides
# defaults for users, and the values can be changed in a per-user
# configuration file. The user-config file is being looked for as
# ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm.

$CPAN::Config = {
'build_cache' => q[10],
'build_dir' => q[\.cpan\build],
'cache_metadata' => q[1],
'cpan_home' => q[\.cpan],
'ftp' => q[C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.EXE],
'ftp_proxy' => q[],
'getcwd' => q[cwd],