PDA

View Full Version : Server Idea

dragonseeds281
11-22-2004, 07:33 AM
It seems like alot of these servers have very few people playing on them. (Less then 100). It would seem alot more likely to just have one "EQemu" server running that is managed by a select group of individuals that are experts at running them. That way there would be alot more people playing on one server and it would be more like EQ live.

mattmeck
11-22-2004, 08:18 AM
most of us arent trying to be EQ live. People want diferent things and server owners want to have there worlds diferent, this is the point of EQEmu, to have your server your way.

sdabbs65
11-22-2004, 09:37 AM
It seems like alot of these servers have very few people playing on them. (Less then 100). It would seem alot more likely to just have one "EQemu" server running that is managed by a select group of individuals that are experts at running them. That way there would be alot more people playing on one server and it would be more like EQ live.

another factor is most people run there servers on a dsl and 100 people I think is pretty much impossable maybe 50 if you have a high speed comcast modem.

mattmeck
11-22-2004, 10:45 AM
maybe 50 if you have a high speed comcast modem.

Try 20 or so........

mrea
11-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Wonder if there are a lot of comcast users in my area, as when I had 2 other people apparently the lag was intolerable for them.

mattmeck
11-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Wonder if there are a lot of comcast users in my area, as when I had 2 other people apparently the lag was intolerable for them.

yea, if you try to play on the computer your hosting it on its you and 5 other people sitting around because to move or sneeze LD's you.

sdabbs65
11-22-2004, 12:37 PM

yea, if you try to play on the computer your hosting it on its you and 5 other people sitting around because to move or sneeze LD's you.

im useing bellsouth ADSL atm and I have about 12 people online with no complaints only time they get bumped is zoneing.

mrea
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Damn, i knew that had something to do with it. But my only other option is hosting it off of a shit computer lol and thats a no no

mattmeck
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
im useing bellsouth ADSL atm and I have about 12 people online with no complaints only time they get bumped is zoneing.

is that with you on activly playing? fighting casting ect?

Damn, i knew that had something to do with it. But my only other option is hosting it off of a shit computer lol and thats a no no

I bring up a test server every so often on my AMD 1.3 GH with 512 RAm, and it holds more people then my 2.4 GH with a gig of ram ( i play from the 2.4 )

If you want to host a server with 50+ people you need to find a dedicater server at a data center, runs $120+ a month.