PDA

View Full Version : "Better" web host please?

Dave987
11-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi guys,

I'm posting this message on several boards so I can get a nice amount of votes on it. I intend on making a site, which has completely random things on it - no idea about space needed, or bandwidth needed, or what I'll need, as I'll just be making it up as I go along.

I'd like to know, which out of these 2 webhosts would you say is better?
http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html or http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/uu.php ?

If I use streamlinenet , I will be buying a .com domain with it, but the totals of both hosts work out at around £50/year.
Appreciate any opinions at all. Please don't ask what I'll need, as I have no idea. Have you had any experience with either of these hosts?

I like Streamlinenet as it has mySQL Databases (5) , Unlimited Space, and mainly, Unlimited Traffic. I have also used the before, and the support I got was great. The thing is, you can have only 1 FTP account, and Virtual Directory Listings are not possible.
I like iPowerWeb because of the FTP Manager, allowing more than 1 account to be set up, but I have never personally used them.

Would appreciate your expertise on them!
Thanks all.

mattmeck
11-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I used Ipower web, there support was almost instant, i was able to do e-mail support the 2 times i had issues and recieved an e-mail responce in less then 15 min from a live person ( not an automated responce )

it comes down to how much space / BW you need

Dave987
11-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Didn't want to post until I had more than 5 replies , but oh well.
From what I read, iPowerWeb's support is terrible, but from the replies I've got on boards, iPowerWeb has been good.

One thing someone brought up is that iPowerWeb is US based, and Streamlinenet UK based. All in all, Streamlinenet has got slightly more votes, and I have used them before - the support is good, but not listing directories and only 1 ftp account is a kick in the shins. However, if I do have more than 1 FTP account, I dont know how nutty i'll go on BW and space! 8)

Thanks for your opinion Matt!

Spike
12-01-2004, 12:33 AM
http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html <---

But check out www.hostultra.com it has good prices I think.

jbb
12-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Unlimited Space, and mainly, Unlimited Traffic
I would be *very* dubious of anyone advertising unlimited traffic. Unless you are paying many times what you stated (like maybe over £200 per month) then unlimited never mean unlimited, it means that we have a limit but we're not going to tell you what it is until one day we decide that you are *abusing * it and cut you off without warning.

I wouldn't ever go with a supplier who claims unlimited usage as they are pretty much telling you lies before you've even signed up. Go with a supplied who actually states what their limits are and what their policy is if you go over it.

* I've not looked at those suppliers, maybe they do state this - just a warning that "unlimited" is generally not a good thing

Dave987
12-01-2004, 01:22 AM
I've never liked the look of hostultra , it just looks very unprofessional to me .. -shrug-
Plus the bandwidth isn't greeat .. $5 /month = $60 year = ~£45
5 gig traffic .. not really great :(

As for the Unlimited Webspace / Traffic thing, yes, it is actually subject to a fair use policy. I've used Streamlinenet before, and the service is good. It's really just a matter of More FTP Accounts or the knowledge in knowing (.. err..) that I'd be using a company I have used before.

Both are about equal now. 80gig is tonnes of bandwidth, Unlimited is just as much, if not more! Ditto with the space.

Thanks everyone