PDA

View Full Version : A WORD OF WARNING.

sdabbs65
12-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Scheduled update for All EverQuest servers on Wednesday December 15, 2004 at 3AM PST (-7 UTC)

im guessing DO NOT PATCH. that day or after untill it's cleared.

RangerDown
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
This patch is supposed to be pretty big too.

They're gonna supposedly revamp Mistmoore and Paw and make them 60+ zones... whoever got the idea to do that should be shot.

oobah
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
whoever got the idea to do that should be shot.

Lol.

Personally i think it would be kinda cool. but just me. course i havent played live for months...

RangerDown
12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
So far none of the revamps have been "cool". The Temple of Cazic Thule is now a wasteland, and even higher levels it was designed for don't go there.

Mistmoore always was a nice mid-level zone, and Paw provided lots of enjoyment in the classic era. Now that they've proven they can instance zones, I just wish they'd run two instances of these revamped zones so lower levels can experience it as well.

Don't even get me started on the PoM revamp...

sianyde
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM

They're gonna supposedly revamp Mistmoore and Paw and make them 60+ zones... whoever got the idea to do that should be shot.

Why does SOE continue to cater to the 60+ crowd? Is it b/c those are the only ppl playing anymore? It's not bad enough that the new expansions are designed for the high-end game, but now retooling existing zones?

Paw was a great 30's zone. I actually met some of my better in-game friends there.

Wiz
12-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Why does SOE continue to cater to the 60+ crowd? Is it b/c those are the only ppl playing anymore?

Yes.

The low levels are just a phase where you get PLed to 60+ now.

Oh and they so stole the idea of a 60+ mistmoore from me! :p

Scorpx725
12-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Whoever designed the revamps at Sony needs a bullet in the head from 1 foot away.

Please.

Cisyouc
12-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Whoever designed the revamps at Sony needs a bullet in the head from 1 foot away.

Please.Why a foot away? Make the person whos shooting a Sony rep and so when the gun fires it will launch back into the shooter and knock them out too.

Speedz
12-09-2004, 06:48 PM
This just stinks of Sony trying to make EQ unplayable, or less enjoyable in hopes that all the current player base switches to EQ2 and then justifies them in shutting down EQ1 and consolidating/selling off all the old crap systems and other hardware that hosted EQ1....

So then they can make more room for the hardware it takes to Milk the EQ2 cash cow.....

COMING SOON to a PC near you.....10 useless expansions only geared to those who pay and/or contribute the most financially to the SOE fund, and useless or unplayable to the average user.

a_Guest03
12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Why would they want LESS people to use EQ1? That's a cash cow that's been researched and marked up, and mints money at this point. It's the high life of its economic position...

The only reason they made EQ2 was to compete with the competition. EQ1 is what they want to keep at current levels. This DOES mean catering to the high-level characters. They're loyal customers, and are more receptive to continuing with EQ1.

Spike
12-10-2004, 12:12 AM
This just stinks of Sony trying to make EQ unplayable, or less enjoyable in hopes that all the current player base switches to EQ2 Is that what's going on now? As soon as I saw the stupid ring around the characters thing I was like... omfg it stupid as HELL! Then I disabled it and felt ok about it.

mysticalninjajesus
12-10-2004, 12:16 AM
you just found out about the target ring? eq2 has it too. its a useless unrealistic eye sore.

Spike
12-10-2004, 12:22 AM
its a useless unrealistic eye sore.
I agree!

No I was actually talking about I found it a long time ago, but once I noticed this change I figured EQ is going down the drain, so I just stuck with EQ4.4 for a while.

mysticalninjajesus
12-10-2004, 12:23 AM
yeah.... the target ring is the least of eqlive's problems.

Celestial
12-10-2004, 06:31 AM
When i was in Plane of Earth, the target ring looked like a giant butthole that was sucking the player up.

Scorpx725
12-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Target ring on Giant Croc was annoying as hell, because sometimes hed hit a little bump in the ground, and the red would be eye level with some characters, or something retarded.

sianyde
12-10-2004, 01:07 PM
The only reason they made EQ2 was to compete with the competition. EQ1 is what they want to keep at current levels. This DOES mean catering to the high-level characters. They're loyal customers, and are more receptive to continuing with EQ1.

By that line of reasoning, wouldn't it make more sense to cater to both high and low levels? Why target one sector of players when you can milk both?

a_Guest03
12-10-2004, 01:55 PM
But they're in a mature phase of the product. Their main concern should be catering to the most loyal of customers, which are the easily amused "here, have even UBERER stuff!" crowd.

There isn't much more money going into eq1 as far as server expansion and advertising. This means that new player statistics will drop. EQ1 can't compete with the new MMORPGs unless it has new content and a new overhaul (see EQ2 for overhaul) or a lower price. Because I believe that the economics of a lower price will lead to lower profit, they won't decrease it very much - only enough to maintain the maximum amount of current users. So EQ1 exists now to continue to serve the current userbase, which would be mostly 65ish, and approaching higher levels. I suspect that higher levels and new expansions may be made to continue to cater to the same crowd, but that lower level content won't be developed as heartily. Because the trend of average levels of players' highest characters (mains) will increase, the content should follow that trend.

By allowing the lower level content to remain, they do cater to the shrinking number of lowbies, but all new material will be uber stuff, I think.

RangerDown
12-10-2004, 03:54 PM
With their storyline about how the gods have forsaken Norrath...

do you think SOE's trying to get a hint across to the players still playing EQLive? :lol:

mysticalninjajesus
12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
you mean the storyline from eq2? then that would be eq2 dev team trying to give a hint across not 'soe'.

RangerDown
12-11-2004, 06:24 AM
No, the existing storyline of EQ. Bring up your storyline window and read a few of those narratives. EQlive is now in the time period just before all hell breaking loose to set the stage for EQ2.

Scorpx725
12-11-2004, 09:28 AM
then that would be eq2 dev team trying to give a hint across not 'soe'

Uh... isnt SoE the people who make EQ games? There by making EQ2 dev team and SoE the same person?

(this isnt a flame in any way, its curiousity)

mysticalninjajesus
12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
thats the same logic that goes behind things like 'soe fuxd over eqlive so im not gonna play eq2 cause SoE also made it' or 'after swg ill never buy an SoE game again' even though there all different dev teams.

RangerDown
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Different dev teams... but the same out-of-touch bean counters at the top.

mysticalninjajesus
12-11-2004, 01:37 PM
whom have just a minor influence on the dev teams game design choices.