PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn more

solid11
12-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Is there a sticky or post on here somewhere about how db's are created? I am new to the emu scene and would like to understand the process of how data is collected and db's made. is db's created solely from player collected data? ect.. This will help me better understand setting up future servers and keep me from posting stupid questions on here, =)

Thanks

Daeath
12-19-2004, 09:19 AM
There are several methods for building a DB, depending if you want a DB that emulates EQLive or you want a DB that's unique/custom.

There's a packet collector that's currently being used to build replica spawns of Live - check out PEQ's DB they have released, for its probably the best Classic/Kunark/Velious<soon> out right now.

Another method is to just go ingame and start running around and adding spawns using the #spawn command to build your DB. You'll get exact placement and facing but it'll take forever.

Lastly, you can manually build the SQL tables yourself. Again, another lengthy process but you can verify that the entries are in a value range that you'd prefer.

There's plenty of posts already in the forums about all the in's and out's to each of the methods, so make good use of the forums search to avoid unnecesary flaming.

Most server ops take a good base DB and then tweak it to thier liking. I for one ran a private PoP server back in Korea, using a db that was collected with the packet collector - but it lacked all the PoP zones so I manually created them in SQL with loot and quests. So feel free to pick and choose to fulfill what you're looking for.

wize_one
12-19-2004, 09:19 AM
there is a link on the main eqemu site with a blank db.. db's can be hand made or as in our case(the peq team) we use collected data then make hand edits to adjust the info closer to live

solid11
12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info all, I'll check it out....