PDA

View Full Version : Eqemulator's great! Have a quite a few questions

tomvs123
12-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Hi! I just found the site 2 days ago and read up on the forums and such to set up my own eqemulator server. I was able to set it up without much difficulty thanks to Spike's tutorial - http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18935 which is the least confusing one I could find :) Although this part threw me off and gave me authentication errors for a while:
6) Copy and paste this Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO Username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'Password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

REPLACE...
Username = your mysql username
Password = your mysql username

(password should be your mysql password :) )

I guess the bulk of my questions have to deal with the fact that I'm not able to play since I just recently patched everquest to what looks to be a 12/17 patch (I didn't even have the patch before 12/15 since I haven't played eq since 2000).

But my world window, minilogin window and my boot5zones windows all seem to be functioning with no errors. I can't log in of course and it just sits there at the login screen of everquest after I type in a user/password, but I suppose that will be fixed once a new version of eqemulator comes out.

I plan on using this eqemulator only in a lan setting with 2 computers - one with a legit server, and both playing clients.

Well, here's my questions:
1. I downloaded a kunark database and sourced it - does this mean only eq and the kunark expansion works? And what exactly to these databases do/add? - monsters/quests/npcs?

2. What does the boot5zones.bat do? Some of the tutorials only have 2 lines of 'start zone' code while others have 5. They also seem to have different numbers between the IP addresses.

3. Are quests there without using perl? Do I have the quests that are typically on everquest live? Is the perl stuff only used for making new quests?

4. What exactly does minilogin do (like does anyone have a basic overview of it)? As far as I can figure from it, whatever it does, it seems like it would cause me a bit of a hassle since it authenticates people by IP address rather than their username/passwords. So If I wanted to play another account on the same computer, I'd have to update the username/IP address in the database. Can I use my 2-computer lan setup without using minilogin? How do I set up authentication and add accounts in eqemulator without using minilogin?

And thanks to all of the developers for their hard work. I realize a lot of people out there get mad at you since for some reason they expect you to create a product for them and fix all of their problems for free. I've seen a lot of great freeware projects go under because of constant complaints by those newbs and I hope it doesn't happen to eqemulator any time soon. Just ignore them or ban them and move on ;)

I also realize that developers don't have the time to write new FAQs, manuals, or tutorials for each new version of their software that is released, so I'll be glad to help out in that regard as soon as I get my server up and functioning. I plan on using eqemulator for years to come and I used to write technical tutorials for the customer service/sales people (who know nearly nothing about computers) in the web hosting company I worked for. So I'll do my best to help out and alleviate as much pressure as I can that's caused from the newbs begging for assistance - although spike's tutorial is pretty good already :)

Well, I'm back to updating my EQ expansions - it takes about 24 hours to update from the base EQ install on my 256k conection!

Thanks again!

Malignus Wingnut
12-24-2004, 06:56 AM
1. Databases contain all the information needed to make your server run, minus character models, classes, spells, and quests. They contain item information, npc data, loot data, zone data, tradeskill data, account information, character information, and every other piece of static information the server might need to load.

2. Boot5zones.bat is a Batch file. Batch files have code in them that MSDOS recognizes. This was basically the original operating system that was available to PCs, it was created by Microsoft. Basically what it does is it creates 5 instances of zone.exe, each using a different port. Each zone.exe can hold one booted zone, when you zone into something in game, the zone you're trying to enter is loaded in one of the free zone.exes. It doesnt matter how many START ZONE . blah blah lines you have, I only use 3 in mine. You can add or subtract lines, as long as each one uses a different port (the middle number, four digit number.)

Also, notice the Period after START ZONE in each of those lines, that period signifies a sleeping zone, this means that when it is loaded it will remain open to load a zone when you zone in game. However, when you zone out a zone in game, whatever zone.exe had that zone loaded will unload that zone and return to a sleeping state. Whenever a zone is reloaded, it ignores all mobs you may have killed, and regenerates all of the loot on the mobs in the zone. This is fine if you dont care, however if you want it to keep all the changes, you need to keep the zone static. You can do this in game, or you can also do it out of game by replacing the period in each start zone line with the short name of whatever zone you want to remain static. Static zones will NOT return to a sleeping state unless you type #zoneshutdown from inside the game. Static zones will also not unload their zone in favor of a zone request inside game, so make sure you have at least one free sleeping zone at all times to zone freely around.

3. Unfortunately, no. Perl is the ONLY way to code quests at this time. They are NOT contained in the database, but in a separate folder in your EQEmu Folder. If you wish to learn how to set up this folder, view my tutorial for setting up a server, skipping to the part about perl.

4. Minilogin allows you to play over a Local Area Network instead of using the official login server that public servers use. By Using minilogin, you and your friends can play over a network, and not worry about other people intruding in on you. Yes you can use your 2 computer setup for this, you just need to repeat the step about inserting account information into the database twice (I'm not sure exactly what it is, read Spike's Tutorial.)

Good luck.

tomvs123
12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply :)

That's too bad about the quests, but I took a look at the quest sections and they don't seem too hard to create (I'm used to basic java and c++). The questmaster5000 program by schoppew also looks promising if I wanted to make a bunch of basic quests quickly. I just can't wait until I have a working everquest to try it out :)

And about the boot5zones - so as I understand it, each zone.exe can load one zone. So if you run a big server with many people that will be in more than 5 zones at a time, you'd need more than 5 zone.exe's running, right? If you don't have enough zone.exe's running, will the server crash, or does it run new zone.exe's automatically?

And I misunderstood eqemulator and minilogin. I thought eqemulator did what minilogin actually does (runs a private server). So eqemulator sets up a public server on your system that accepts users that have been authenticated by this website (newlogin1.eqemulator.net)? So eqemulator.net takes care of the account creation/authentication and passes users on to a registered public server. Minilogin also does the same thing, but in a more basic way and for single private servers. Am I right on that?

And sorry for all of the questions ;) I'll attempt to write a good faq for the tutorials section once I figure this all out.

Malignus Wingnut
12-24-2004, 12:48 PM
If there isnt a free zone.exe to load a zone in game, it will say ERROR: That zone is not available to players yet. ...or something like that. And it will teleport you to the zone safe coords inside the zone. So yes if there will be many people in more than 5 zones at a time then you will need more zone servers. (zone.exes).

If you set up a server using the EQEmulator Login server, other people from anywhere can log in and play on your server, as long as it is UNLOCKED on the server select.

If you set up a server using Minilogin, you are not using the eqemulator login server at all, minilogin.exe creates your own Mini Login Server directly on your home network for you to use. Only computers attached to that network can even connect to that login server, and thus, log into your server.

Sourdough35
02-12-2005, 10:38 AM
I really like this thread, after stumbling across it in search of some fairly specific information about databases and current compatibility. It raises a couple additional questions for me, though. I hope they haven't been answered elsewhere, but I definitely searched long enough for them.

This might gethe thread locked or get me banned, cause from what I understand, the community is getting intolerant of people asking about current patch compatibility, but hopefully y'all can see that this is a slightly different take on the matter. If minilogin doesn't actually create a server then can I use it to play alone on my own computer if I have the most recent patch? I don't really need to play on a server with other people.

Secondly, in terms of the databases out there, I understand that new quests can only be made with PERL, but do any databases recreate the eqlive world? If so, how complete are they up through the first couple expansions? (velious) If I had to guess, I'd say that there's been more than ample time to collect enough info for a fairly complete world, but you guys would know better than I.

Thanks for all your help and hopefully not for flaming me on this one.

Malignus Wingnut
02-12-2005, 08:01 PM
If minilogin doesn't actually create a server then can I use it to play alone on my own computer if I have the most recent patch?

No. I think you misunderstood what minilogin does. It creates a login server on your home newtwork, however it's code is as of the same date as the official login server code therefore they both have the same compatability issues.

Secondly, in terms of the databases out there, I understand that new quests can only be made with PERL, but do any databases recreate the eqlive world?

Well I had to wipe my computer in its entirety about a month and a half ago. I hadn't backed up my database in a while (like 8 months...heh yeah i know stupid), and I ended up losing all the work I had put into my database.

At the time i had full PoP, LoY, and GoD accuracy including quests and events (Excluding high end GoD zones because I haven't raided there in EQLive). I also had implemented some experimental stuff in Anguish, I came up with some interesting little tricks in perl to make events more challenging, anyways. After losing more than 8 months of greuling work I decided to take a break from eqemu for a while. I will eventually continue work on my database but not for a while. As of now the most complete database that is compatable with the current version of EQEmu is the PEQ Velious? I'm not sure if that was released yet, I haven't been around in a while.

Sourdough35
02-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Wow. That really blows that you had that much great stuff just go "bye-bye." Good luck on reconstructing it, my friend. So does that mean the velious DB is more or less a complete recreation of the live servers up until that expansion? If that's the case, that's awesome and I can't wait till the compatibility issues are resolved.

Malignus Wingnut
02-19-2005, 07:18 PM
The only thing about compatability is that every release they tend to change the way the database is read, in what order, or new columns are added so you need to add them or it wont load correctly, the only challenge is converting an old one to new standards. I converted the 5.7 DR2 PoP release database to begin with.

qbvbsite
02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
From what i read it looks like there are other databases for EQEmu but are just not compatible (ex. like the 5.7 DR2 PoP) if this is true can you point me to the place i can download these DB's so i can convert them to the existing PEQ Kunark DB. Thanks in advance.

--James

Belfedia
02-23-2005, 08:26 AM
/em raise his hand !!!
I like it too :)

qbvbsite
02-23-2005, 08:59 AM
If i do get the PoP DB and convert it successfully i'll be sure to post is on the boards for everyone to download..:-)

--James

Richardo
02-24-2005, 06:39 AM
just send me the database at Lexen802@gmail.com and ill convert it up to date for you lol... :)

SaguetoSan
04-05-2005, 03:31 AM
If you set up a server using Minilogin, you are not using the eqemulator login server at all, minilogin.exe creates your own Mini Login Server directly on your home network for you to use. Only computers attached to that network can even connect to that login server, and thus, log into your server.

So let say I set up a server on one of my computer on my network at home, I'll be able to play with a computer on the same network, but my friend won't be able to join me from his home?

tcsmyworld
04-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't think the older DB's are up on any servers anymore, and I recently moved and don't have all my equipment set back up yet.
As soon as I can get the machines back up, and find the older releases, I'll make them available again.
Glad to see the PEQ team is making such great advancements on the project :)