PDA

View Full Version : wireless network question

daxin
12-24-2004, 06:07 PM
i just got a new laptop for x-mas. i was extatic, so i hooked it up right away. first thing i noticed when i booted that there was 2 unsecured wireless networks near my house plus my secured one. i get on my network, but now like every 10 min or so this thing pops up asking me to pick a wireless connection and it boots me from the net until i pick one or if i just leave it it will just repick the oneim on but still kicks me. anyone have an idea on how to disable all those other networks on my computer so it stops kicking me?

Liscadipesce
12-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Their should be an option to choose a network as default. I am just remembering from when I helped my friend set up his computer... so don't ask me where.

Spike
12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Actually the first time you setup your network it'll do that. After a while it shouldn't it happened to me for a bit. If your just annoyed as hell, look at the main options on the main control program it'll give you, it should have some sort of Default on there.

daxin
12-25-2004, 03:32 AM
well its been a almost a day of up time, and it still pop ups trying pick a wireless, its kinda weird, the wireless network stays connected almost cleanly, but when it reconnects it drops the internet gateway.

Spike
12-25-2004, 09:13 AM
I know what you mean... linksys right? If you see more then 1 gateway you mine as well destroy the others and leave only 1 open. It's what I did anyways.

jammey97
12-30-2004, 01:55 PM
It's likely that your wireless network and one (or all) of the ones around you are using the same channel. This would easily confuse your laptop and it would prompt you to connect if it suddenly got a stronger signal from one of the other access points on the same channel.

Try changing your own wireless router / access-point to use another channel, such as 1 or 11 or something.

Spike
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Good idea, try changing your channel.