PDA

View Full Version : Multi-classing / 2nd classing

fatcunt
01-08-2005, 02:07 AM
The biggest flaw in EQ was the whole holy trinity concept - i.e. that for every adv/exp you needed a tank,healer,slower. I must of wasted half my EQ life shouting group needs x,y or z.

With only 4 friends playing , it usually only left space for 1 choice of class after the core 3. Back in the days when I used to play, I kept pestering Sony that rather than just grow the game vertically ( 50 - 60 etc or eqemu's case 100 ) they should it expand it horizontally, i.e. to allow toons to be multi classed.

This would completely overcome the whole holy triinity rubbish as you could cover 2 of the "core roles" with each toon, adding lots of flexibility and not making each character so one-dimensional.

Personally , I would llimit the 2nd class to be 5 levels lower than the primary but the exact extent of the limitation could be by popular decision ( perhaps both classes limited to 5 below max) there should be some benefit of being "single-classed"

Theres a whole stack of gameplay issues to balance , e.g. calculating mana and / or hitpoints, what items are wearable , access to aa, but these could almost be worked out by popular vote, and hopefully even configured on a server by server basis.

Am I right in assuming that this would not be an impossible coding task? Obviously the client would have to be patched, but even there I am sure there are enough bright people around to manage it.

It woulld breath life into an otherwise dated and limited engine.

I have been fascinated and excited by the depth , effort and incredible success of the eqemu/projecteq undertaking, but it was tempered with sadness when I remembered how limited EQ as a game was and how single classing meant you had to play with 4+ people to do anything serious,.

Regardless of the multi-classing issue , its been amazing to watch the way this undertaking has developed , and I'm still staggered that you have acheived this much , thanks and good luck to all involved.

Malignus Wingnut
01-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Multiclassing would require a completely rethought balancing system, or it would turn rapidly into DnD style multiclassing...powergaming would become EXTREMELY easy.

It is a good idea, one not taken by most game developers, if someone would undertake the huge task that it would be, then that would be great, but I just dont think people have the time :(

mattmeck
01-09-2005, 07:44 PM
You can take any spell and allow any caster class to use it, or make items with the right clicky effect.

But then you have everyone able to solo because they can all heal and slow, there are times when that would be nice but then when you want to group nobody wants to.

RangerDown
01-10-2005, 03:19 AM
You're not gonna see that go into the stock Emu code, since the stock code's objective is to emulate EQLive. There's nothing stopping you from making a custom server that will do that though.

MeurtreMortTuer
01-11-2005, 11:48 PM
You're not gonna see that go into the stock Emu code, since the stock code's objective is to emulate EQLive. There's nothing stopping you from making a custom server that will do that though.

im new so go easy.

So basically the source code for eqemu thats on the eqemu server will only allow so much flexability in character creation?
as in, a monk that can play bard songs is 100% out of the question?

that can only be done on a private server...

but, how would one be able to pull off such a thing on a private server, i mean, that sounds complicated.

KhaN
01-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Real multiclassing, as you see it (or as it is in DnD) is impossible to make under eqemu, main reason being you are pretty much restricted by the client.
But there are still ways to bypass it,to have a sort of multiclass emulation.

Now, why no game developers never integred multiclassing ? Mainly because they are making MMORPG, mean, players playing together, now, allow all of them to not need other players to play (solo), and you will really break what a MMORPG is imho.