PDA

View Full Version : EQEmu Admin Tool 2.5 has entered the building

Windcatcher
05-09-2002, 12:27 PM
I just uploaded it. It usually takes SourceForge an hour or so to move it to the download area, so please be patient.

NOTE: This is a PRE-PATCH VERSION (i.e. EQEmu 0.3.1)

I uploaded it now because, well, it works and there's no reason not to. I hope a lot of people remembered not to patch their emulator version of their client :)

Note to DEV TEAM: This has the new structure translation code (i.e. see the readme and playerprofile_info.txt as an example). Please take a look at it. It should make it possible for you to easily release new TXT files that will keep the admin tool in-sync with the player and item profiles in the database. There's no better time to give this a go.

Second note to the DEV TEAM: The structure translation code might be useful for the server. My thought is that, if text files like these were written to an EQEmu database as soon as it was first used, then the server could detect when a database was "out of date" and either automatically translate or (a better option) convert the profile structure to the new format (either automatically or if asked). It could potentially make databases impervious to structure changes from VI patches.

Cheers,

Windcatcher

devn00b
05-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Hot Damn! I know this will be another Quality product WC thanks for all your hard work!

Baron Sprite
05-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Baron Sprite and WC sitting in a tree.. k i s s i n g.
;)

Draelin
05-09-2002, 01:15 PM
This tool looks very nice. I recently downloaded it and noticed the extra tabs. Could you point me in the right direction as to how to import databases (and connect to MySQL or whatever it's called)?

Windcatcher
05-09-2002, 01:25 PM
If you click on Preferences you can enter the username and password required for MySQL database access, as well as the database name (usually "eq" but I tend to number mine along the version, e.g. eq31).

Importing databases is used when upgrading from a database for an earlier version of the emu to a later one, at least theoretically. I find that it works in practice only for small to medium-size databases though. :( For example, you could import data from an "eq31" database to an "eq32" database and the tool will try to prevent duplicate records from forming as well as try to make sure that foreign keys are properly translated.

Generally speaking, importing is something that should be done *very rarely*. When setting up for the first time, all that you should have to do is connect to the database. There are some useful guides around the emulator's homepage and forums that describe how to set up an EQEmu database.

As I think about it I don't think I've added entries in the Preferences screen for importing the new db tables from 0.3.0 and up (not to self: do that for the next version). They are added in the Preferences screen and saved to the INI file; there is no coding involved. The screen describes tables, primary keys, and foreign keys that need to be remapped when importing. If you look at the tables list on the left portion of the screen it lists tables that will be imported.

morpheus014
05-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Great tool windcatcher, we all appreicate the hard work!

Draelin
05-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks much! That cleared up my n00b head a bit hehe

Two more questions, how...er...where...do you sign up for MySQL? Their site is a maze of mumbo-jumbo and I can't find any place.

And the other question: How do I create a database? Maybe that's not what I have to do. For some reason I can't get into a database, and I'm guessing its the "logging into MySQL" configurations that I'm confused about.

I get the following message exactly:
"Exception: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1'(10061)

The admin tool wasn't able to connect to
database "eq" at host 127.0.0.1.
Please go to the Preferences dialog and set the
username, password, database, and host values."

---------------------------------

So, one, I don't have a "eq" database file anywhere and don't know how to create or upload one. And Two, I didn't sign up for MySQL and don't know how. :confused:

I'll get it soon. Please help me out if/when you get the chance.

Windcatcher
05-09-2002, 02:13 PM
MySQL is a database server. You have to download and install it. It can be found at http://www.mysql.com.

I assume you're trying to set up your own EQ server (if you only want to play on someone else's server you don't have to do all this). There are guides somewhere on the forums (try the main EQEmu forum) that describe how to set up an EQEmu database. Basically, the server uses a MySQL database, and the admin tool makes it easy to manipulate the data in the database.

Once you have followed all the steps in the guide for setting up the database, you have to install the EQEmu server and point it to that database. The guides here on the forums should tell you how to do that as well. This is an important step to do before trying the admin tool, as the basic database comes with the EQEmu server.

Once you have the database set up and the server software installed, then you can run the admin tool and point it to the same database.

Example:

- download and install MySQL
- download EQEmu server and basic database
- install database in MySQL, calling the database "eq"
- set up access rights to the database
- set up server INI files to point to the database
- run admin tool, click Preferences, and point it to database "eq"

I'm not going to type the detailed instructions here; it's already been done far better than I could hope to by other people, and their guides are available (try the main EQEmu forum; they are most likely in a sticky thread at the top of the list)

WC

Locoelf
05-09-2002, 02:19 PM
<kneels before the mighty WindCatcher> I think your new version is everything that we expected it to be...I have one question though, I dunno if its just me, but I connect to the server through an IP and whenever I goto certain areas, - NPC types, SPAWNs, and SPAWNENTRY especially, it is extremely slow and it updates constantly...If I had one wish it would be for that to load faster...then I have no doubt in my mind that this would be, and always would be, the best Emu Editor. Dont wanna sound like a jerk, its a great product and we all appreciate your work.

Windcatcher
05-09-2002, 02:29 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I think the problem mighgt be all the TDBLookupComboBox'es that join tables. Either that, or (maybe more likely) all the DB lookups that take place when elements are drawn in the table. For the combo boxes, one possibility might be to make a DB-aware version of my TSharedComboBox; it is specifically designed to repaint only after all changes to its list have completed (very important when you have a ton of comboboxes that each have the same list of 30,000 entries). I'm not really sure, though. I'll have to do some testing to see where the slowdown is coming from.

WC

Locoelf
05-09-2002, 03:08 PM
How does the book system work? Is "name" the name of the item, the name of the book? which?

Windcatcher
05-09-2002, 03:14 PM
/shrug. I don't know. Actually I'd love to get some clarification from the dev team on some of the fields in the database. There were some fields in the Doors table that I suspected were item IDs, but I wasn't sure.

Wind

Lurker_005
05-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Take a look here for a short discussion on the books table and such. http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1748

There is also some info you might want to take a look at in the eee util thread

Arcalyn
05-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Can someone please post a link to the sourceforge EQEMU files.

Lurker_005
05-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Look at the very bottom of this page, and goto the eqemu homepage. Then click on the files link in the menu on the left.

Arcalyn
05-10-2002, 05:33 AM
Thanks Lurker_005!
Should change my name to Captain Lazy Bastage!
:p

Draelin
05-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks a lot Windcatcher I have it all set up now.

If only the next patch were in for EQEmu so I could get in it...

/em swoons

:)

Ironman
05-11-2002, 08:26 AM
I was reading on another post about Wins Editor being outdated and not saving DB data correctly? Please clarify this. Im running 3.1.1 with Ariaks latest DB. Am I ok using EqAdmin tool version 2.5?

Baron Sprite
05-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Hmm it looks like verant has been sneaking spells in on me, update time grah.

Locoelf
05-12-2002, 03:14 AM
Hey Windcatcher,

If you remember Im the guy that said I love your Emu, but fields like NPC_types, Spawns, and Spawnentry go really slow. Well I think I found the solution...

The items table works just fine, its got great speed and everything. BECAUSE it only has two fields - ID - Name

If you were to do this with NPC types and set it up similiar to the way the items table is setup, then problem solved. I think the reason is, its is getting all the information for all the boxes and its slowing it down. So if you eliminate all the extra boxes and make it like items its all good.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents (again).

Great Product

MajrMovies - IRL
Locoelf - Boards
Apprentice - Underworld Server

Lurker_005
05-12-2002, 05:50 AM
Ironman,
As windcatcher mentioned in his post, version 2.5 is for eqemu version 3.1 (also 3.1.1)

Be warned, that when the dev's release a new emu (soon) then the admin tool will have to be updated to match.

Ironman
05-12-2002, 06:18 AM
Oh Joy!

Snicker

hehee

Bardboy
06-16-2002, 02:30 AM
***Should have been a new post***. oops.