PDA

View Full Version : patch and emu

Hmm
05-10-2002, 10:42 PM
wonder if its possible to create server for patch?

make it so it is very limited patching like spell data file, eqhost and news thats it?

not too sure how patcher works however.

Shawn319
05-10-2002, 10:53 PM
even spdat.eff is bad :) cant give it out...

maby something for emu patching and news and stuff, but not EQ files.

Hmm
05-11-2002, 08:42 AM
hmm allright. it would make connecting to custom spells server easier but guess not

devn00b
05-11-2002, 12:33 PM
This kind of program would be great so we could set it up to Download eqhost.txt automaticly (handy i think) or 100% origanal (already been stated this is okay long as no VI code) or custom built zones (once we <as a comunity> figure out how thats done)

I could see the issues with sending files people already dont have. But in this case if the person does have the file whats the big deal? in this same logic wouldnt it be " warez " putting the eqhost.txt file for download (wich you here do have for download).

Shawn319
05-11-2002, 11:36 PM
eqhost is fine, txt files with three lines (easily remembered and easily typed i might add) would be hard to call warez hehe.

Now if the spdat was completely clear, like if you made a brand new text file and renamed it spdat.eff, then used the spell maker to creae a whole line of spells, that would be fine to give out. but if you have one "Ice Comet" or one "Greater Healing" (or others) then it would still belong to verant and cannot be given out.

On the note of "But in this case if the person does have the file whats the big deal?"

How would we know of thay have the file? and if thay have the file why do thay need ours? lol.

Think of it this way, If you rip a file off a Windows Xp cd (lets just say, the main .cab file), and you send it to Bill because he already has it, microsoft is still gonna kick your ass :)

devn00b
05-12-2002, 03:52 AM
But there in lies my point shawn..IT IS NOT YOUR JOB to police who has what files its your job to make sure NO ONE is posting wares and that i understand. but what if somone where to create a patcher program, since the program itself is not warez in any way, would you prevent them from posting a link to it here?

I would hope not. I dont think it to be the job of the devs to police things like that.

Think of it this way, If you rip a file off a Windows Xp cd (lets just say, the main .cab file), and you send it to Bill because he already has it, microsoft is still gonna kick your ass

This is incorrect. my father works for microsoft and they care not as long as you have a VALID Licence that you got leagaly. Some company's order mutiple licenses but gets only ONE cd to span acrosse multiple systems.

Hmm
05-12-2002, 01:18 PM
hmm now that i think of it spdata file download from patcher is totally useless. since its before server select.

its perfect for dymatic login server as long as you has fixed patch server adress.

Lyenu X`Arie
05-12-2002, 06:01 PM
#1: I have a program that downloads the latest eqhost.txt. I will be releasing a new .Net version soon, as it fixes a lot of problems I had with the old one =).

#2: It is warez, it is THEIR files, lets say someone who never has bought everquest downloads the files via your patcher. Then can play the emu with them. THAT is warez. Verant WILL kick your ass for it, sure if you let 1 or 2 people do it it's fine, but if it's publicly available (aka lots of people could do it), then they wil come after YOU and EQEmu because we didn't do our job and take off the link. Ontop of that, I would really hate to see someone post it then I get ahold of the patchers URL and your IP and I send both of them to Sony and your ISP and tell them to contact one another =).

Shawn319
05-13-2002, 12:04 AM
We have very few rules and most of them have to do with "warez".

/rant on

We have had ZERO problems with verant/sony and we would like to keep it that way so ALL we ask of you is to follow our rules and to NOT ask, give out, host, or in some other way promote the giving out of these files. This includes but is not limited to: The EQ Patcher, eqgame.exe, eqmain.dll, spdat.eff, cshome.s3d, cshome_chr.s3d, or ANY file downloaded with the Verant EQ Patcher (aka Everquest.exe) with the exeption of files that can be re-created within 10 seconds by hand (this means eqhost.txt is okay).

Is that too much to ask? or should we start charging for the emu? :)

/rant off

Furthermore, EQEmu is an Opensource, Free project and we try our best to release a working, bug free version every week but sometimes that gets held back by patches. 95% of the devs work on this full time and we would appreciate a little respect in terms of the rules.

devn00b
05-13-2002, 05:26 AM
I not once said i wanted the EQ patcher. Nor did i once say i wanted it to pach WAREZ files, What i thought would be cool would be a patcher that would download ONLY x files that i set it for that are 100% origanal (or as you say can be re created in a matter of seconds) content. 100% origanal created zones, EQhost.txt etc...but i guess this is to much to ask or even to bring up without people (devs) gettin all wierded out.

#1: I have a program that downloads the latest eqhost.txt. I will be releasing a new .Net version soon, as it fixes a lot of problems I had with the old one =).

Thats what im looking for, Question is does it just patch to the EQEMU eqhost or can it be configured to download my own (so my friends that i play with can simply patch there eqhost.txt to mine on the fly)

Shawn319
05-13-2002, 05:42 AM
i didnt say you couldnt do that (patcher for 100% origional files). i was just re-affirming the rules so everyone knows.

Lyenu X`Arie
05-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Yeah, and if you want to try to figure out the equation to convert into wld from some other format be my guest and go to hackersquest and download zone convertor source and try =).