PDA

View Full Version : Problems with OZ5.2

DaSquishy
02-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I have been playing around with the new 5.2 version of OZ and am quite confused as to whats going wrong. I have been trying to import and export a zone I had designed using 3ds max and had no problems exporting it using version 5.1 however now I am getting errors with 5.2.

I started deleting items from my scene one at a time to see what was going wrong, however, it didnt properly export until the only item left in my scene was just the ground mass (a box with a displace modifier).

As soon as I add any other objects to the scene - even just a simple box with a simple texture, it just gives me access violation errors during the "breaking off water, lava, and pvp regions" process bar. (before any progress shows up)

Anyone have an ideas?

Windcatcher
02-24-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm going to need a sample of the file that's giving it problems if I'm going to be able to diagnose the problem. Can you post something?

KhaN
02-24-2005, 08:42 AM
OZ doesnt support most of the 3D modifier, such as displace.

DaSquishy
02-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Ok, well if displace is the problem, I guess i'll stick to 5.1 as it lets me use it lol.

KhaN
02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
displace should works (afterall, its only an heightmap), but if you use lots of modifier (for mesh and materials) such as displace (example, fusion), OZ wont take them in count and will for sure crash.

Windcatcher
02-25-2005, 03:28 AM
You know, if a sample was posted, I might be able to make 5.2 at least ignore modifiers instead of crashing...

DaSquishy
02-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Well I had deleted all objects in the scene except for 1 box with a displace modifier (for an outdoor heightmap) and 1 box with a texture - no other special modifiers and it just errored out.

Here is an example, a simple 3d studio max file that exports fine in 5.1 but does not in 5.2:
http://www.moocowz.net/SquishyError.rar

I also am very new to 3d modelling, so it is quite possible that I am doing something wrong and 5.1 just let it go by where as 5.2 doesn't.

Also, out of curiosity I tried creating a zone entirely in OZ5.2 following the help file tutorial step by step - and it always freezes when trying trying to use the ground editor. It never errored out, just hung there for hours at around 50% processor usage.

Windcatcher
02-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I'll take a look at it. The hang error sounds like a deadlock issue. I was having problems with deadlocking when entering the ground editor and I thought I had fixed it...

EDIT: If it keeps locking, could you post what's in glenginelog.txt? I'm not sure how much debugging I have turned on, but it might help me figure out what's going on.

EDIT #2: Well I tried loading your file and found that it was taking forever to load...so I redesigned one of the routines in the 3DS-MAX importer and it imports like 1,000 times faster now, without crashing (I changed the algorithm that handles smooth groups from an O(n^2) algorithm to an O(nlogn) one). I don't know if that was the problem or not, but the file you posted loads fine for me with it (I didn't bother trying it with the old one -- it was taking forever). I'm going to assume this was the problem with importing MAX files and look at that deadlock issue now.

DaSquishy
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
by "load" do you mean export into S3D format? because Importing the 3dsmax file always worked for me in both 5.1 and 5.2 it was exporting in 5.2 that was causing the error messages.

EDIT: I also tried to locate glenginelog.txt but couldnt find it anywhere, is there a setting i have to toggle to enable the logging?

Windcatcher
02-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh, nevermind then. I'll take a quick look at exporting. I might have fixed the deadlock issue, but the only way to know for sure is for you to try it.

No, there's nothing you can do to enable the logging...it has to be recompiled for it. Don't worry about it. In my testing I've found that turning logging on can affect whatever causes it to deadlock (some sort of timing issue). I've done another small redesign and the OpenGL initialization now happens in a more predictable manner. Hopefully this will help.

EDIT: I managed to export your test file to .S3D without OpenZone crashing, so I'm going to post version 5.3 and let you give it a try.

DaSquishy
02-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Ok, I have done some playing around with 5.3, first off.. DAMN sooo much faster importing in zones! Excellent!

A problem I ran into now:

Import seems to be erroring out if:
Objects in the scene have 2 or fewer length/width segments
(just my rough observation through testing)

Here is an example (its identical to the previous example except i modified the box to be only 1 length segment by 1 width segment).
- This sample imports and exports fine in version 5.1
- This sample imports but does NOT export in version 5.2
- This sample does NOT import (or obviously export) in version 5.3

http://www.moocowz.net/SquishyError002.rar

Also, the ground editor appears to be working properly for me now, though i havent spent much time testing it yet.

EDIT: Another odd thing I noticed (not sure if its a problem or not) is when I imported the first test file to see if it worked properly it imported fine however the yellow box (the box to keep people from floating off land maybe?) seems to be all broken up. Im not sure if this has any bearing on the export or not but I figured id mention it.
See this for screenshot:
http://www.moocowz.net/OZ-yellow.jpg

EDIT: I hope you arent dreading my posts yet lol

Windcatcher
02-26-2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah, you're right about the yellow box. All it is is my selection box to show what object you've selected. My engine normally uses triangles, but there is some special code for handling objects made entirely of quads. I must have broken something there, but it isn't a major thing. I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: I fixed both problems and re-uploaded version5 3. Give it a try and keep me posted...

DaSquishy
02-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Looks like that did it! I could import and export everything properly, and much much faster I might add. You rock wind!