PDA

View Full Version : Guildwars Server Down - Discuss

Doomfire
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Here are the last screenshots of Guildwars being up.

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server9.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server8.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server7.gif

After these screenshots were posted on the Guildwars forums the forums were all locked.

Discuss.

Doomfire
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.guildwarseq.com/server6.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server5.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server4.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server3.gif

Doomfire
04-01-2005, 09:05 PM
http://www.guildwarseq.com/server2.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server1.gif

http://www.guildwarseq.com/server.gif

Deserx01
04-02-2005, 02:14 AM
I just wanna say its fucking bullshit that you guys closed down the server, many people donated hard erned money to the server. You cant just close it b/c a coupple faggots were being disrespectful. Devnoob, I kno there were alot of people saying shit, but come on its an online game, this isnt real life and besiede a coupple retards, alot of people really respected the work you and image put into the server. If anything, bring GW back for the donators, the people who supported the server, and filter out the jackasses that didnt appreciate it.

-Gambit

Wiz
04-02-2005, 03:05 AM
GW down to staff drama?

Who'd have thought.

RangerDown
04-02-2005, 03:11 AM
People have donated some hard earned money to keep the server up, and according to the donation schedule they were paid THRU the end of May.

If you must close the server, especially on a petty issue like this, I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.

Wiz
04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
People have donated some hard earned money to keep the server up, and according to the donation schedule they were paid THRU the end of May.

If you must close the server, especially on a petty issue like this, I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.

Clearly they were disrespectful bitches who deserve nothing back.

Cisyouc
04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
GW down to staff drama?

Who'd have thought.My thoughts exactly.

On a side note, let me just say now that if this thread gets too roudy it will be locked.

jammey97
04-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Here's a link to my irc log. I was afk for the whole thing so I didn't know about this crap until this morning.

http://techrono.net/other/guildwars.txt

killspree
04-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Disappointing to hear - I was really interested in how guildwars would shape up this time around, because it's a really good concept for a pvp server using eq mechanics.

Melwin
04-02-2005, 05:04 AM

I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.

refunded.

ahahahahahahaha

sdabbs65
04-02-2005, 05:19 AM
asking for a refund is silly...
I think the term donate...means just that....

---------------
I want a refund from that bum I gave a dollar to... he didnt use it for food.
----------------

Wiz
04-02-2005, 05:26 AM
asking for a refund is silly...
I think the term donate...means just that....

---------------
I want a refund from that bum I gave a dollar to... he didnt use it for food.
----------------

If you donate to the Red Cross, would you be a-OK with them spending the money on booze?

Ellie
04-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Guild Wars was a perfect example of people who have great ideas, good programming skills and not enough PR savvy. It would have been a great server if those guys (Image/Dev) were the main design team but someone else actually ran the server.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of idiotic low-lifes that had absolutely no appreciation for the hard work that was put into creating and running the server- and that has got to be frustrating. But frankly, Image, but moreover Dev honestly, had some serious powertrip/ego issues and little to no patience.

Again, I respect the hard work and diligence that went into the server, but because of wide variety of ages and, uh, "mental capacities", of some of the player base, it takes a very mature, "non-ego-based" personality to keep the server up and running smoothly. Clearly, this wasn't the case here, as evidenced by the numerous times the server has been up and down and up and down again.

Great ideas, not enough management skill- but hey, not everyone is cut out for dealing with the fickle and often rancorous public. God knows, it's not an easy job.

Piranor
04-02-2005, 06:52 AM
"I think the term donate...means just that...."

You were right if this was actually a donation situation.
A donation to the law is the of giving to a fund or a cause; it's a gift, a grant. If you stick to that it does sound right for GW case.
However take a look at the definition of a contract and let's see the differences.
It is set of promises made by one party to another for the breach of which the law provides a remedy. The promise or promises may be express (either written or oral) or may be implied from circumstances.

In the case of GW, they were taking so-called "donations" and promising to keep the server up for "X" amount of time with it. But the main problem is that donators were actually getting advantages and services from it such as guildwars "donator" items. It was more like "We are taking donations for the month of may and for every X$ you get you will receive this".

Hence according to that mere fact, it is a contract and they have to either respect their engagement or refund the buyers. That's right they were buyers not donators because they did receive their share in the trade.

GW can't hide behind the laws there saying it was a "donation". Any company would offer you services for money down and call it a donation when they feel like dropping you. You can't call it a donation if there's an actual exchange/trade proper to this very donation. It's a contract *period*

Thank you

p.s. I did not donate I just wanted to set things straight and I don't really mind if they closed the server.

Daeklaz
04-02-2005, 06:55 AM
GuildWars closed yesterday, April 1st. Think about it ...

Edit: April 1st

Aquelin
04-02-2005, 06:59 AM
If you donate to the Red Cross, would you be a-OK with them spending the money on booze?

Tax deduction.

On a side note, I am very sad to see GW down especially after such a limited amount of time. My only respectable job as a GM down the drain within a month's time.

:(

Rithien
04-02-2005, 07:12 AM
GuildWars closed yesterday, April 1st. Think about it ...

Edit: April 1st

Unfortunately it was this morning at around 3 am or so. Its not a joke.

MethodSZ
04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
GW3.0 down and coined just like GW2.5...by devnoob

for anyone that didnt play on guildwars, you cant say shit about how we treat devnoob because you have no idea how he treats us

devnoob is the reason why the GW server has 1/5th the population of what it should have. He has a bad temper, doesnt know the rules (doesnt care either, if he thinks someone is doing something that he doesnt like he will ban, suspend, delete their points, delete their gear, or whatever he can think of that makes him smile). This forces image to to reverse whatever action devnoob takes time and time again.

People are reluctant to start on guildwars because they associate guildwars with devnoob instead of image, and that makes me very sadface:(

no one can rightfully defend devnoob in this case. i dare you to try

Ditrivo
04-02-2005, 09:00 AM
This is fucking ridiculous. Why in the hell would you guys close down a server because a couple people were talkin shit about you? As ADMINS and owners of the server you let a couple fuckers that could easily be banned destroy the game?

A couple people talk shit and you guys break down and turn off the server... Does that make ANY fuckin sense? Jesus christ don't be so sensitive, don't let jackasses get to you like that.

If a couple customers of Sony decided to talk shit and insult the CEOs do you think that Sony would EVER stop what they're doing or actually change anything because of a couple dipshits?

It doesn't make any sense guys, a simple ban would have rid those faggots from the server. If they're not grateful, why the fuck would you let them play on the server nonetheless shut down the server because of them.

No offense but you need to claim ownership of your goddamn server.

MethodSZ
04-02-2005, 09:14 AM
if you banned everyone that hated devnoob, the server would have 3 people and theyd have to close it down anyway

also, this is how GW2.5 ended. People called out devnoob on his retarded actions and he had a fit and destroyed the server. No one will miss him/it.

Doomfire
04-02-2005, 09:43 AM
For a run down on the server and the events that lead up to the fall of the server visit:

www.guildwarsEQ.com

David Hasselhoff
04-02-2005, 10:21 AM
if you guys dont like the way the server was run, dont play there. devnoob never bothered me, and i enjoyed playing on GW except when the players there acted like dickheads. way to get the server shut down assholes.

mattmeck
04-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Speaking as someone who has been around for a wile, the reason Guild Wars was / is going downhill is because of the players. I REFUSE to play on the server because of the players not because of the admins, it seams like GW has always attracted the bottom of the barrel player wise.

To put it bluntly, its not your server its there server and if they want to delete gear / points thats there right, if they want to permanatly ban anyone who creats a character with the letter "L" in there name thats there rght.

All the players who complain about how it is run and whats done should find a server thats run the way they want, not one person has ever been forced to play on any server so stop the drama and start a server and run it the way you want instead of complaining and acting like 4 year olds.

This isnt YOUR server, its not YOUR project, stop expecting stuff and be thankfull for what people are nice enough to spend time making, and if you dont like it FIND SOMEPLACE YOU DO LIKE! I dont know how many server have been shut down because the admin got sick of idiotic players.

EDIT And the next person to go off cursing will be banned from the forums till i feel like letting them back, I dont care who you think you are the forums have rules and keeping cursing down is a rule.

Virus11
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Well Mattmeck, unless I don't know something, they closed the server and dissapeared with $300.00 and some new hardware.

mattmeck
04-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Ok so discuss that, not about everything you hated about it, if people hated it so much why did they play there?

Virus11
04-02-2005, 11:27 AM
This is exactly why I didn't donate and why I didn't put my time into leveling a character.

David Hasselhoff
04-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Well Mattmeck, unless I don't know something, they closed the server and dissapeared with $300.00 and some new hardware.
with all the time and money they put into this, i doubt they broke even with the donations they got. im sure they payed more than 300 out of pocket to maintain the server.

Ueguvil
04-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Mattmeck generally summed up my feelings.

I played on GuildWars, but honestly, the amount of little farts running around thinking they were "leet" turned me away very quickly. I quit at lvl 30, not surprisingly, as that was the lvl I was forced to join 1 of a couple guilds, all run by power hungry losers.

I promptly moved back to good ol' PEQ, sure the population may not be what it used to be, but just about every person I've met on that server has been helpful and considerate... Something almost unheard of on the GW server.

All in all, what do I have to say about the death of GW? Meh.

Wiz
04-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Speaking as someone who has been around for a wile, the reason Guild Wars was / is going downhill is because of the players. I REFUSE to play on the server because of the players not because of the admins, it seams like GW has always attracted the bottom of the barrel player wise.

To put it bluntly, its not your server its there server and if they want to delete gear / points thats there right, if they want to permanatly ban anyone who creats a character with the letter "L" in there name thats there rght.

All the players who complain about how it is run and whats done should find a server thats run the way they want, not one person has ever been forced to play on any server so stop the drama and start a server and run it the way you want instead of complaining and acting like 4 year olds.

This isnt YOUR server, its not YOUR project, stop expecting stuff and be thankfull for what people are nice enough to spend time making, and if you dont like it FIND SOMEPLACE YOU DO LIKE! I dont know how many server have been shut down because the admin got sick of idiotic players.

EDIT And the next person to go off cursing will be banned from the forums till i feel like letting them back, I dont care who you think you are the forums have rules and keeping cursing down is a rule.

The fact that it's their right to do so doesn't make it a non-assholish thing to do. It's my right to refuse to give first aid supplies to a guy who's bleeding out, but jesus would I be an ass.

A person who would delete a players' time invested for no other reason than that they felt like it shouldn't even be entrusted to staff an ant farm, and certainly not a server that makes any claims to be more than "joes non-legit kill teh quarm!".

"Like it or leave it" is a terrifyingly bad argument as well, you can like something without enjoying every aspect of it. If I hate olives, but have to eat them in order to eat steak, I'll still eat steak because steak rules, but I'd much rather be without the olives.

(And yes I know that was a lot of metaphores)

MethodSZ
04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Guildwars was paid through until the end of may via donations. Image says it costs something like 174 a month to keep the server up

so yes, they just made over $300 in donations that will not be going towards the server. Thanks for not knowing what your talking about.

Also, "matt", your absolutely right. They can do whatever they want with their server, and they have. That is why they crashed and burned for a second time, because they do whatever they want which pisses all the players off. Each iteration of guildwars has less and less people because of it.

I played there because its free and its fun. I have fun pvping people in classic eq. I am also allowed to be critical of anyone i want. If they dont like me, they can ban me (and they have). However, when 90% of the players are critical of them, that is when the server dies. That is what happened last night. They cant ban everyone for disagreeing. At some point they need to just realize they are a failed team and a failed project and their players are never comnig back. Time to close down the shop.

Wiz
04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Guildwars was paid through until the end of may via donations. Image says it costs something like 174 a month to keep the server up

so yes, they just made over $300 in donations that will not be going towards the server. Thanks for not knowing what your talking about.

Also, "matt", your absolutely right. They can do whatever they want with their server, and they have. That is why they crashed and burned for a second time, because they do whatever they want which pisses all the players off. Each iteration of guildwars has less and less people because of it.

I played there because its free and its fun. I have fun pvping people in classic eq. I am also allowed to be critical of anyone i want. If they dont like me, they can ban me (and they have). However, when 90% of the players are critical of them, that is when the server dies. That is what happened last night. They cant ban everyone for disagreeing. At some point they need to just realize they are a failed team and a failed project and their players are never comnig back. Time to close down the shop.

Learning when to listen and when not to listen to players is very important. At the very least a server admin should always take some time to hear the complaints, even if they disagree with them. No admin or dev team is perfect, and there is always room for improvement. If you listen to players about the little problems and fix them, it will also encourage the players to help you with the big problems.

Really, in the end, everyone wins from listening, just as long as you don't confuse "listening" with "agreeing". ;)

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
They asked for advice and many players gave them good advice. If you actually take the time to read the suggestions you'll notice that <Jihad>, the ones affected the most by a server wipe, were advocating it for the sake of balance ALONG WITH ideas that would make it harder and harder for power-guilds, including <Jihad>, to maintain a huge lead. Why? Because <Jihad> *gasp* liked the server, why the hell else would they (myself included) dump so much time into it?

Of course devn00b/Image showed how mature they were by calling the playerbase "13 year olds" then storming around and shutting the server down in an uncontrollable fit of "maturity", right?

Wiz
04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
They asked for advice and many players gave them good advice. If you actually take the time to read the suggestions you'll notice that <Jihad>, the ones affected the most by a server wipe, were advocating it for the sake of balance ALONG WITH ideas that would make it harder and harder for power-guilds, including <Jihad>, to maintain a huge lead. Why? Because <Jihad> *gasp* liked the server, why the hell else would they (myself included) dump so much time into it?

Of course devn00b/Image showed how mature they were by calling the playerbase "13 year olds" then storming around and shutting the server down in an uncontrollable fit of "maturity", right?

Asking for advice does not equate actually listening to the advice. My experience with devn00b and image tells me that if the advice given them isn't exactly what they want to hear they will disregard it and/or get angry. Especially if it points out that they did something wrong.

Sobe
04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
No matter who was truly at fault.

It's over.

On a side-note...

Did anyone ever have a serious problem with me?

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Asking for advice does not equate actually listening to the advice. My experience with devn00b and image tells me that if the advice given them isn't exactly what they want to hear they will disregard it and/or get angry. Especially if it points out that they did something wrong.

That's true. One time pre-wipe a zone was completely bugged and devn00b (I believe it was dev, may've been Image) banned a character (Synara) for cheating because their code was "flawless"

Naturally it was later discovered that the zone was, indeed, screwed up.

And as for you Sobe, I think you're the one that said OOC would be much quieter or calmer or something once I was banned. That along with devn00b laughing heartily at forged PvP encounters (apparently jihad was owned hardcore PvP about the same time I was banned pre-wipe, although I was there and it didn't happen) made people very leery of any GM on the server same Alyrius/Aquelin, whom were bitched out by devn00b for doing their jobs.

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 01:17 PM
No matter who was truly at fault.

It's over.

Actually it does matter who was at fault since people seem to be blaming the playerbase, Jihad inparticular, for events out of their control i.e. devn00b's menstrual cycle and Image's bipolar personality.

Sobe
04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
That's true. One time pre-wipe a zone was completely bugged and devn00b (I believe it was dev, may've been Image) banned a character (Synara) for cheating because their code was "flawless"

Naturally it was later discovered that the zone was, indeed, screwed up.

And as for you Sobe, I think you're the one that said OOC would be much quieter or calmer or something once I was banned. That along with devn00b laughing heartily at forged PvP encounters (apparently jihad was owned hardcore PvP about the same time I was banned pre-wipe, although I was there and it didn't happen) made people very leery of any GM on the server same Alyrius/Aquelin, whom were bitched out by devn00b for doing their jobs.

I don't recall saying that anyone should be banned...

Hell, I didn't even say that Method should have been banned for the AFK deal in Freeport.

But hey, I could be wrong =/

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Considering method's AFK spot was LEGAL since people, including myself, had specifically asked Image that's a moot point.

Sorry if I wrongfully accused you though.

mattmeck
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
take away the $ issue and this reminds me of GW 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5.......

Click search, then type in "guild wars", stuff from early 2002 in the archives, wish the GW forums would have been backed up from then. All these issues were issues in every version of GW to ever come out. And if it ever comes back will be issues then too IMO.

Wiz
04-02-2005, 02:41 PM
take away the $ issue and this reminds me of GW 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5.......

Click search, then type in "guild wars", stuff from early 2002 in the archives, wish the GW forums would have been backed up from then. All these issues were issues in every version of GW to ever come out. And if it ever comes back will be issues then too IMO.

More or less. Until GW gets a more sensible head at top, it's doomed to fail.

MethodSZ
04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Summary of the last 3 days of guildwars 3.0:

Some newb reports me for hiding illegally in east freeport. I used levitate to get over a wall and go afk on the other side. this is not illegal. GM Sobe investigates, i show him how i got to the spot with levitate and he says "good job" and affirms that i did nothing wrong. The newb that reported me got pissed off that i wasnt breaking any rules so he tells devnoob in IRC that im hiding in an illegal spot. Devnoob immediately blows his load all over his keyboard then logs in game and BANS me right in front of GM sobe who was trying to tell him i did nothing wrong. He smack talks me right before banning me.

8 hours later, Image gets on and unbans me. No apology from dev, no explanation from either of them why dev is allowed to do that crap. Oh well.

The next day, the GMs decide they are going to remove all jihad's cities. Devnoob logs in and deletes all of our 50 or so guards we control and replace them with GM gaurds. lame, we try to argue it but obviously cant. So, after they take all our guards we take back all THEIR guards and by the end of the night its as if nothing ever changed. jihad still #1.

This last move obviously pissed them off. The next day devnoob makes up some retarded story of how he found three of our guards placed illegally on city roofs overnight. He can't tell us where they were or who placed them. He gives no warning. He docks frumppyfrank 17,000 points (about 2 weeks of constant pvp / city taking), saying he is responsible (he wasnt). Dev says three times is way too many, yet never gave a warning after the first or second time. We never knew our guards were somehow being illegally placed (they werent). Not only that, he removed frumppyfrank's ability to speak in IRC and in OOC and would not respond to tells. He didnt even give the guy a chance to defend himself, AND he shit talked frank on top of all of that.

Remember, this is only the last 3 days of the server. Imagine this shit going on for 3 straight weeks. We (and most of the server) pretty much had enough of dev's shit and so we called him out on it. He threw a fit, and threatened to leave the server and take his database with him. No one tried to stop him, despite him saying several times that he was going to leave and take the database with him. That mustve hurt his feelings.

Also germanium has some funny stories of how he got banned by devnoob for doing things that one wouldnt normally equate to banning.

Virus11
04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Summary of the last 3 days of guildwars 3.0:

Some newb reports me for hiding illegally in east freeport. I used levitate to get over a wall and go afk on the other side. this is not illegal. GM Sobe investigates, i show him how i got to the spot with levitate and he says "good job" and affirms that i did nothing wrong. The newb that reported me got pissed off that i wasnt breaking any rules so he tells devnoob in IRC that im hiding in an illegal spot. Devnoob immediately blows his load all over his keyboard then logs in game and BANS me right in front of GM sobe who was trying to tell him i did nothing wrong. He smack talks me right before banning me.

8 hours later, Image gets on and unbans me. No apology from dev, no explanation from either of them why dev is allowed to do that crap. Oh well.

The next day, the GMs decide they are going to remove all jihad's cities. Devnoob logs in and deletes all of our 50 or so guards we control and replace them with GM gaurds. lame, we try to argue it but obviously cant. So, after they take all our guards we take back all THEIR guards and by the end of the night its as if nothing ever changed. jihad still #1.

This last move obviously pissed them off. The next day devnoob makes up some retarded story of how he found three of our guards placed illegally on city roofs overnight. He can't tell us where they were or who placed them. He gives no warning. He docks frumppyfrank 17,000 points (about 2 weeks of constant pvp / city taking), saying he is responsible (he wasnt). Dev says three times is way too many, yet never gave a warning after the first or second time. We never knew our guards were somehow being illegally placed (they werent). Not only that, he removed frumppyfrank's ability to speak in IRC and in OOC and would not respond to tells. He didnt even give the guy a chance to defend himself, AND he shit talked frank on top of all of that.

Remember, this is only the last 3 days of the server. Imagine this shit going on for 3 straight weeks. We (and most of the server) pretty much had enough of dev's shit and so we called him out on it. He threw a fit, and threatened to leave the server and take his database with him. No one tried to stop him, despite him saying several times that he was going to leave and take the database with him. That mustve hurt his feelings.

Also germanium has some funny stories of how he got banned by devnoob for doing things that one wouldnt normally equate to banning.

That's exactly what happens when you share control of a server. Thats why you need 1 guy who is very reasonable, nice, cool, active guy to run a server.... not an uptight person like these guys. I spoke to devn00b alot and he was a nice guy, but after hearing all this stuff it really pisses me off, it's not how you run a server.

Ditrivo
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
This happens every time GW comes up.

Fun times.

Rithien
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
You gotta love how everyone says "these guys" as if Image is just as easily angered as Dev. Oh and method, first of all.. they didn't take just Jihad's cities, they took EVERYBODY'S cities. Second of all, if I recall, frumppyfrank ended up only losing 5000 points. (Thanks to image, but still)

Yes Ill agree with you that Dev shouldnt have quite as much contact with the playerbase, as its so easy for them to make him mad.

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 05:54 PM
My Exciting Banning Extravaganza:

To tell this story of mystery and intrigue I must start far before the banning itself. Now on GW melees are buffed to the max 666 xxx hardcore! A melee wielding a culler can take off 1/3rd of a 20k pkp / raid-geared caster's hitpoints in a single round. Yes, that means a meager three rounds of combat mean a caster's death. A culler can double for 400~. A Lavabolt at level 50 with 25% casting bonus does a maximum of 650~ damage PvP to give you an idea. OK, now that I explained how melee/casting damage is mitigated PvP it is easy to see that casters need some sort of means PvP to be able to compete as they cannot simply go toe to toe with a melee, a la EQLive (duh).

Levitate was the primary means of a caster's defense. Using spires, rooftops, etc, anywhere that would force a melee to actually have to use skill/lev to catch them -- it really forced a race against time for both the melee and the caster. The caster has x amount of time to kill the melee, if the timer runs out, the caster is screwed.

In GW3.0 Image/devn00b decided that levitate was imbalanced since pure melees could not reach the caster. OK, that's cool, you could still cast from anywhere a full sized ogre warrior could reach. Just couldn't use spires, roofs, through-wall-casting, etc -- anything that involved either a place a melee could not reach or a melee could not physically see you.

I was in North Karana clearing guards when a ranger, Nopheer, ported down. I believe it was Nopheer at least. Anyways, he and I were PvPing. He ported down on me, I got a nuke off, got my pet on him and then he was on me. I ran around to the side of the spire (the north-easternmost spire on the map) and he lost his site of me. I then ran up a tiny bit -- barely over ogre's head height -- where a melee could reach me (I was NOT levitated myself). I started casting from the spire and then Nopheer saw me, he ran up and started meleeing me. I channeled the nuke and killed him. Then I gated, the end...or is it?

Image banned me, on evidence provided by devn00b -- a screenshot. devn00b did not show up in zone, and the only screenshot I ever saw was from Nopheer (a no-talent ranger that most everyone viewed as an easy PvP victim), but regardless I was banned. The rules stated that anywhere a melee could reach a caster could cast from, so long as the melee could reach it without levitate.

The GM's (Image/devn00b) argument was that I was banned because an Ogre Warrior could not reach the top of the spires, or even get on the spires. I was banned, end of story!

Or was it?

Flawless logic...change the rules as you go along. Except for when the rule you invent still doesn't work. My pal, Method, made an Ogre Warrior and...guess what...he could reach the top of the Spires without levitate in North Karana. Well holy crap, I was banned for going somewhere anyone can go easily.

I was unbanned and given a verbal warning -- if it ever happened again I was going to be banned.

More stories next time.

dmal0807
04-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Actually it was Dev who unbanned you about 15 minutes after. Dev is allowed to do what he wants since hes a serverop and image trusts him to make decisions that are good for the server. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't have played GW in the first place.

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Actually it was Dev who unbanned you about 15 minutes after. Dev is allowed to do what he wants since hes a serverop and image trusts him to make decisions that are good for the server. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't have played GW in the first place.

Attitudes like that are precisely why GW never works. It's good to see that we still have people incapable of making rational decisions even after being presented with dozens of pages of evidence as to WHY devn00b is a terrible GM.

Yeah, he is allowed to do what he wants. And you know what? Everytime devn00b does what HE wants the server dies. But yeah, instead of playing a good server and trying to make it better by refining the server into a streamlined, fun game machine the players should bow down like subserviant whores to the staff because they can code and as a result hold a deified status.

dmal0807
04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
After all the shit you guys say to dev I'd say his decisions are very rational. Telling someone who works his ass off on a server that he shouldn't be allowed to play on it. Come on do you have any respect for someone who worked his ass off for no gain just so you could have fun.

GermaniumSZ
04-02-2005, 06:17 PM
He had tons of fun creating his world, getting his little ants to play in it then squashing them with his GM status until mommy (Image) had to get him to stop. The ants threw a revolt and told him he was a prick, and he got angry at the criticism (even though he flamed everyone before bans that were ruled illegal).

So what you're saying is that we should respect him because he created the database which led to problems which he refused to fix then he banned people/flamed them while he banned them, had the people unbanned then got all antsy and left?

Of course devn00b is so mature in regards to Jihad it's a wonder we DON'T respect him! Observe:

<wolfe> so its gone? no chance of anything
<Pheer> jihad whined so dev got pissed and took db
<Pheer> server dead now
<Pheer> fun fun
<Vero> yea
<~image> i can't make the db
<Vero> thanks a lot Jifag
<~image> heh
<Vero> Image: THANKS A LOT JIFAG!!!!
<Vero> wow..
<wolfe> lol
<Vero> why didn't I think of that when I was in game :( thats a awesome name for them :9
<Vero> :(
<&devn00b> <-- has called them that alot
<Vero> really?
<Vero> I like that name
<&devn00b> amongst other names
<&devn00b> Gayhad
<Vero> Jihax?
<&devn00b> etc
<Vero> rofl
<Aquelin> Jewhad!
<&devn00b> yeah
<&devn00b> that one
<Vero> Dickhad?
<Vero> short for dick head?
* Vero shrugs
<Vero> anyhow
<Vero> well
<Vero> this certainly is funny
* Aquelin laughs not.
* image sighs

Wolfe is in Jihad and he's a nice guy. That's the response he gets. Vero, by the way, is an eighteen year old who flames Jihad, probably because he's a poor product of the American educational system and he can't do fractions (literally).

Pheersome was a newbie PKer who was constantly on the GM's nuts. When I was banned he went so far as to apply to the Jihad forums under a user's name, found out my new character's name and had it banned -- even though it didn't matter since I returned the next day anyways.

Image, per usual, was pretty cool about it all. Unlike devn00b he doesn't appreciate having his work ****ed away (edited since some forum mod said no more cussing) for immature reasons. I actually like Image, he does good work, it's dev that always ruins things.

Back to what I was saying. You can clearly see there that devn00b was biased against Jihad as he has ALWAYS been. In GW2.5 the server went down the drains after he was caught with a character in Derangement. I was in Derangement for an evening and had screenshots of devn00b giving Dera Aegolism before Jihad tried to raid Felwithe. Of course there's no GM bias at all and dev threatened to up and leave when accused of it (which he later did).

So there you have it. Discuss.

dmal0807
04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
ok GermaniumSZ you think you guys are being treated unfairly. Why don't you go on any other server and act how you do on GW. Any decent server admin would ban you asap no one wants idiots like you ruining their server.

mattmeck
04-02-2005, 06:37 PM
ok, locking thread thats to the people who decided to attack others.